Riding w/ pashnit: exploring the ca central coast

pashnit

Donating Member
Site Sponsor
Registered
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Riding with Pashnit:
Exploring the California Central Coast</span>
<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>A Motorcycle Ride through the Land of Oz</span>

I love to ride. And if you're reading this, you probably do also. And each Spring, a season of riding starts anew. Lately here in California, we've had an intense amount of rain. The most in 10 years they say. All the reservoirs are full, the ground is saturated, and last month, it rained for 25 days out of 31. There's so much water, they're giving it away. I'm told they set a record up at Mammoth- over 700 inches of snow. And 100 miles to the east of our ride, a state of disaster was declared in the Central Valley with its extensive levee system (nearly 1000 miles of) pushed to the limit, and just days after the tour, even the President of the United States came to visit.

So as our ride date approached, myself and all the riders held our breath and checked the weather like rabid sports fans desperate for the latest scores. As it turned out, the predictions changed every day, twice a day, and in the end, didn't match up with reality anyway. Oh well, so much for predicting the weather.

Img_1655-Nac-Andy-3.jpg

A little sidenote: One of the things I was working on with this trip in terms of the photography was shooting a lot of photography in portrait mode, in other words, tall pics vs. wider landscape shots. Each trip I work on something new, and build off the previous ride. I was asked to share some more photo tips awhile back, and continue the previous text on my photography in the previous trip so I'll do a bit of that along the way. Maybe some of you will get something out of it (ntm, the previous thread is approaching 20,000 views so somebody must be reading this stuff).
biggrin.gif

Meeting along the edge of San Francisco, at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains. Tim says Hi, Joseph looks on

Img_1489-tim.jpg

Meeting the new riders for the first time, Breck, Dianne, Kevin & Rick

Img_1490-group.jpg

As was usual on a Pashnit Ride, there was quite the variety of bikes. The hallmark of a Pashnit Ride is variety and this one was no different. I had been in contact with Andy and Malie for months prior trying to coincide our schedules. Malie is a Rep for a Publishing Company in London, England. She was lucky enough to coincide a business trip with our tour.

Malie & Andy (pronounced Mah-lee)

Img_1504-Malie.jpg

She was accompanied by her husband Andy, who's a sales rep for Wrigglys Chewing Gum. Which he happened to mention is a 5 billion dollar a year business. Just chewing gum. Just Wriggleys. Lot of money sitting on the undersides of tables. Andy rides a SV650 and they live on the north side of London.

Andy

Img_1501-Andy.jpg

There was another couple on the ride, Joseph and Dianne (above) flew in from Houston, Texas picking up a Honda Goldwing from Moturis in San Leandro. Joseph has been in Venture Capital for over 30 years, is a Vietnam Veteran and shared a few war stories with us, as he was an officer during the war, and had seen his share of combat. With a wink, he made it clear that he could get away with more than the average person. After all, he was from Texas.

Img_1590-Joseph.jpg

Joseph & Dianne's Goldwing

Img_1700-Joseph.jpg

Rick also joined our ride and in chatting with him, we quickly got engrossed in talking all about his classic cars- he owns 4. His daily driver is a 1970 Chevelle station wagon. He had recently gotten back into riding and was aboard the ultimate sport-touring machine of its time. A '94 Honda VFR in red. Wouldn't have it any other way. One of the things Rick was going to do when he got back from the ride was go climb Mt. Rainer. All in a days work.

Rick

Img_1736-Rick.jpg

Rick's VFR

Img_1587-VFR.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145824063 -->

Our plan was to make our way south and hope for the best with the weather, which alledgedly was better the further south we'd go. This is the middle of April in California after all. A quick ride up Highway 9 and into Big Basin introduced the Giant Redwood forest to several of the riders for the first time.

Big Basin State Park in the Santa Cruz Mountains

Img_1509-group.jpg

Img_1506-VFR.jpg

Your average everyday redwood tree. Hard to judge the scale though.

Img_1511-redwood.jpg

Try this one. These can get up to 300 feet tall, and weigh 1,000,000 pounds each.
thumbs-up.gif

Img_1512-redwood.jpg

The bikes in Big Basin. Another great place to experience the redwoods is Avenue of the Giants up in NorCal (which we do on our NorCal ride).

Img_1494-bikes.jpg

Andy & Breck

Img_1498-Breck.jpg

As we made our way south out of the Santa Cruz Mtns through some light rain (it is a rainforest after all), as soon as we cleared Monterey and got past Rocky Point, the light rain we had ridden through abated, and the further south we got, the more the weather improved. The more I ride Hwy 1 Big Sur, the more you come to fall in love with this region of California.

Every picture if off the cover of a magazine, and it doesn't matter where you stand, every view is stunning.

Img_1517-BigSur.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145781340 -->

Now check out the panoramic of the previous pic. See what I see?
wink.gif

Scroll -->
Img_1514-BigSur-500.jpg

We stop often on rides like this. We ride awhile, then stop, take in the view, get to know each other better. Fun to think we've all only met hours before.

The busa & Rick's VFR

Img_1518-busa.jpg

Breck's V-Strom, which is quickly becoming an enduring motorcycle, with an devout following.

Img_1520-VStrom.jpg

My poster child shot of Andy & Malie's BMW 1150GS. I'm sitting by the phone waiting for the folks at BMW North America to call me.

Img_1522-BMW-1150GS.jpg

Here's what happens when you take the previous shot, and make it a landscape shot. Have a preference?

Img_1523-BMW-1150GS.jpg

Tim's FJR & Rick's VFR

Img_1529-HondaVFR.jpg

Have to sneak in another shot of the Hayabusa. My travelin' machine- Be sure and look on newstands after May 2nd, 2006- Cycle World is publishing the annual called 'Sportbike'. Cover story is on the Hayabusa, and I got asked to write the portion about setting the Hayabusa up as a 'Long-Haul Busa'

Img_1528-Hayabusa.jpg

We were about to leave, when what should pull up?

Img_1530-Ural.jpg

Img_1531-Ural.jpg

Here's Greg, who although was a complete stranger to us, knew who I was. Funny how that works.
tounge.gif

Img_1533-Jeff-Ural.jpg

Greg was equally eager to chat with us, and tell us about his new 2005 Ural.

Img_1532-Jeff.jpg

Greg and Connie had just purchased this Russian made Ural in Bellingham, Washington and were riding it back down the Pacific Coast to Los Angeles.

Img_1538-Ural.jpg

Although the '05 model was brand new, it'd already blown out the rear main seal and was seeping a bit of oil.

Img_1534-Ural.jpg

Img_1539-Ural.jpg

But the bike was georgeous, and even came with a reverse gear, complete with a wood knob for a shift lever.

Img_1543-Ural-Shifter.jpg

Even the headlight is cool looking.

Img_1540-Ural-Headlight.jpg

I have teased my wife for years that someday when the kids are old enough, I'm going to get a sidecar to put the kids in the hack to take riding with me. Maybe I will do just that someday. A Ural even maybe. Or maybe a Hayabusa with a sidecar might work.
laugh.gif

Img_1545-Ural.jpg

After our short rest and enjoyable chat with Greg & Connie, it was off on the joyous task of riding Hwy 1.

Img_1519-Hwy1.jpg

Point Sur

Img_1550-PointSur.jpg

See the difference in the two shots? Have a preference? I think I need to get a teleconverter for my Canon Pro1.

Img_1548-PointSur.jpg

Lunch at the Nepenthe Restaurant was outstanding, I'm sure we'll be swinging by here again. The restaurant overlooks the spectacular Big Sur Pacific Coastline. While outside, fog and mist hung in the air. http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

Img_1553-Nepenthe.jpg

Even the walk up was impressive!

Img_1558-Nepanthe.jpg

Img_1572-Nepenthe.jpg

At the top of the stairs was this.

Img_1571-NepentheBird.jpg

The Nepenthe dates to 1949 when it first opened up to travelers along Highway 1 Big Sur. And the view you say?? From these windows...

Img_1568-Nepenthe.jpg

...It looked something like this. Breathtaking!!

Img_1564-Nepenthe-BigSur.jpg

Same pic, but in landscape mode. I think I like the previous one best.

Img_1565-Nepenthe-BigSur.jpg

After lunch, the rain stopped and we were greeted with this- just low clouds that hung in the sky. But no fog, and no rain.

Img_1574-Hwy1-BigSur.jpg

Another quick example of Portrait vs. Landscape. Here's the portrait style...

Img_1579-Hwy1-BigSur.jpg

And the landscape shot of the same scene. Again, I think I like the first. Or maybe it's a toss-up. See the natural bridge?

Img_1578-Hwy1-BigSur.jpg

The surf along Highway 1 Big Sur. If you've never traveled this stretch of highway, the road is hundreds of feet above the ocean so the view is fantastic no matter where you stand.

Img_1581-BigSur-Surf.jpg

Joseph's Goldwing & Breck's V-Strom. This shot is a quick example of zooming vs using the curvature of the lens to get the effect you want. This is the zoom shot with the 200mm lens. I've backed up as far as I can and zoomed the lens to its max 200mm. The shot in turn looks like this.

Img_1585-Goldwing.jpg

However, if you leave the lens as 28mm, it's shortest focal length (on the Canon Pro1), and use no zoom, then walk up to the bikes as close as you can, but still be able to fit the bikes in the shot, you get something that looks like this. Can get two very different feels out of two different techniques.

Img_1583-Goldwing.jpg

Adding in the BMW GS to that shot.

Img_1586-BMW.jpg

Malie who's come all the way from England to see this!

Img_1591-Malie.jpg

This one will be the new brochure cover shot for the new BMW 1150GS. Still waiting for BMW North America's ad agency to call me.

Img_1598-Andy-BMW.jpg

Since this is a busa forum, I get to post as many pics as I want of the Pashnit Hayabusa.
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
Okay, let's go ride.

Img_1601-Busa.jpg

One thing about these clouds, although it wasn't raining, they continued to hang very low in the sky.

Img_1604-BigSur-Hwy1-950.jpg

The view even faded off into the haze.

Img_1607-BigSurCoast.jpg

tounge.gif

Yet, despite the low clouds and threat of rain, it gave me some of best colors to work with. This is probably one of my favorite shots of the entire ride.

Img_1611-BigSur.jpg

In a portrait style - the same shot.

Img_1613-BigSur.jpg

Another example. Here's the portrait style.

Img_1616-BigSur.jpg

And the panoramic version.

Img_1614-BigSur.jpg

<!--EDIT|pashnit
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145779594 -->

One of thing we did have to deal with was the result of all this tumultuous weather, and its effect on the road. Highway 1 was probably the worst I have ever seen it in all these years.

Img_1617-Hwy1.jpg

At Lucia. Only days before, Highway 1 had been closed here. Might even presume this was the slide, or sinkhole, that closed it. Seems they dumped loads of gravel on the road to get it open, and traffic flowing again.

Img_1618-badroad.jpg

Doesn't look like a main highway, does it?

Img_1619-badroad.jpg

South of Lucia, this is about the middle of Big Sur

Img_1622-BigSur.jpg

Of course we had to climb up Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd, a tradition on our Central Coast Ride. Climbing hundreds of feet above the Pacific Ocean offers up a fantastic view of the Big Sur Coastline.

Another one of my favorite shots (taken from Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd). Add a bunch of text for something and you got your magazine cover.

There's almost a romanticism to shots like this. But then again, that's what I'm trying to capture.

Img_1624-BigSur.jpg

Same shot, but landscape mode. Still like the first one.

Img_1629-Hwy1.jpg

The 'Long-Haul Busa'. The rain covers on the RKA Luggage worked great too.

Img_1631-busa.jpg

Climbing up Nacimiento-Ferguson Rd. It's the only road in the coast range along Highway 1 Big Sur that goes up and over the Coast Range. It deposits you right in the middle of Fort Hunter Legget, a tank training grounds.

Img_1633-Nacimiento.jpg

The twisty climb up into the clouds. See the house at center? Lot of zillion-dollar homes tucked away in the hills along Big Sur.

Img_1637-Nacimiento.jpg

Img_1638-Nacimiento.jpg

Halfway up, Nacimiento Rd makes its way through this wooded area.

Img_1641-Stream.jpg

Then this, low bridge

Img_1642-Nacimiento-Busa.jpg

Seems the hillside was in the process of collapsing from all the heavy rains in the last month or so. Check out the tree in the middle of the slide.

Img_1643-Hillslide.jpg

But Tim and Joseph on the Goldwing rode right under it, and merrily on our way

Img_1648-Slide.jpg

Rick headed back down. This isn't fog per se, but instead we're in the clouds

Img_1644-Nacimiento.jpg

Andy, Malie & all that Pacific Ocean

Img_1649-Nacimiento.jpg

Another one of my all time favorite pics. You could bring a lawn chair, a good book, and just watch the world go by up here.

Img_1655-Nac-Andy-2.jpg

What they had stopped to take a picture of. Amazing.

Img_1658-Hwy1.jpg

Now see it in a slightly different format. Really like the first one though.

Img_1659-Hwy1.jpg

Hwy 1 along the rugged Big Sur Coastline

Img_1665-Hwy1.jpg

Img_1667-Pacific.jpg

Kevin along Highway 1 havin' a great time

Img_1661-Rockster.jpg

Quick exercise in juxtaposing two bikes together, which is a shot I like to do often.

BMW & V-Strom?

Img_1668-BMW-Vstrom.jpg

Or BMW & BMW?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Img_1669-BMWs.jpg

biggrin.gif

The new BMW R1150R up close. The more you look at this bike, you more it grows on you. Love the colors that BMW chose. Check out the fork tubes.

Img_1671-Rockster.jpg

Time to stop and check out the seals just south of San Simeon.

Img_1675-Seals.jpg

Img_1674-Seals.jpg

Just hangin' out

Img_1677-seals.jpg

Img_1681-Seals.jpg

Saturday, the weather was predicted to be much better. At first I saw this, the Geza Cover on the Hayabusa, the heavy dew on Coastal San Luis Obispo had collected on the cover.

Img_1682-Geza.jpg

But when I saw this, I knew it was going to be a good day!

Img_1684-Sun.jpg

I went to check on the riders, and everyone was rarin' to go!! There's Tim, Joseph & Dianne, Kevin in front, then Rick, Breck & Zak standing, and Malie and Andy.

Img_1685-Morning.jpg

We were joined by a few local riders as is the custom when a Pashnit Ride comes to town.

Zak was a local rider who arrived from Illinois back in 1973. He was a tool and die maker that had worked with Craig Vetter in the 70's, of Vetter Fairings that is. He was also one of the original founders of Rifle Fairings and these days just works from his home and rode. He mentioned he'd probably ridden 600,000-700,000 miles and had jokingly said he'd never actually been anywhere. Zak was riding on a SV650 that looked like a rat bike. He'd bought it off eBay for $2200 and it each piece of the bike was a different color, the fender, the tank, the side fairings, the front fairing. It was the Coat of Many Colors.

Img_1734-ZakBike.jpg

But what was most interesting about this Suzuki SV650 is that Zak had converted it to a belt drive with Buell components. He mentioned he'd had requests for a kit, and that his fellow SV650 owners were quite interested in obtaining the conversion kit he'd developed and tested on his own bike.

Ever seen this on a Suzuki SV650?

Img_1814-SV650-belt.jpg

Img_1733-BeltDrive.jpg

Zak

Img_1735-Zak.jpg

Alex also came on his new SV650. I always laugh at Alex, everytime I shoot him on the bike, he's grinning from ear to ear. Riding is like that sometimes.

Img_1701-Alex.jpg

Erik also never misses an oppurtunity to come ride with us. His ZX-7 never looked better.

Img_1728-Erik.jpg

See that look in Andy's eyes? That's a "What a beautiful day! Let's Ride!!" look.

Img_1689-LetsRide.jpg

Zipping out on to Pozo, which really isn't a town. Just like 2 or three buildings, but the road there and back is awesome!! Great loop and back, affectionately known as the 'Pozo Loop'. There are several side roads, but we didn't explore them on this ride. Maybe next time.

Img_1690-Pozo.jpg

Group at the Pozo Saloon

Img_1693-Pozo.jpg

Zak and Jeff. Love Zak's helmet. Very old school. Jeff was another rider who jumped into our group on a R6. It happens, and the main riders on the tour really enjoy interacting with the locals. It adds a whole new dimension to the tour, it was a perk for the folks from Texas and England. We include locals in the tour for them to interact with and chat with.

Img_1691-Zak.jpg

Pashnit comes to Pozo, California
biggrin.gif

Allan, Joseph, Erik, Dianne, Andy, Zak, Tim, Jeff, Breck, Andy & Malie. Kneeling: Rick, Yours Truly, & Kevin

Img_1696-Group.jpg

Back