Headlight replacement with pics

omslaw

Michelle owns my Busa
Staff member
Administrator
I was not impressed with the Halogen lamp that's OEM on the Busa...and didn't have the $$$ for HID, so I went with the next best thing... a Sylvania SilverStar bulb. You will need an 'H7' bulb for the low-beam.

You can pick one of these up at most any auto parts store...or even Walmart! They're around $20.

Bear with me on this thread...I've got around 14 pics to post...

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: "Added bulb part"|1143168904 -->

OK, start off by removing the two inner panels around the instrument cluster.

Next remove the windscreen. Trust me, it makes accessing the bulb much easier!

pic1.jpg

Remove the two bolts holding the cluster in place, 10mm socket needed.

pic2.jpg

Grab the upper portion of the cluster and pull towards the rear of the bike. There are a couple of plastic 'nipples' that are in a rubber grommet; you may need to use some force.

pic3.jpg

Remove the elecrical connector from the cluster, this will get the harness out of your way.

pic4.jpg

How do you like it and what is the bulb # ,That what I want to do next for sure. yep you are correct ,it is the easyest way to do and also adjusting the light to.great pics

I placed a shop towel over the tree...just to protect the cluster from getting scratched up.

pic5.jpg

Now, pull the electrical connector off the bulb, just pull backward.

pic6.jpg

Here's the bulb connector and the spring-clip that's securing the bulb.

pic8.jpg

OK, now you're ready to swap the bulb. But first you need to remove the old one from the connector base.

I wore gloves for this step. You don't want to get any body oil or other contaminants on the bulb surface...it will DRASTICALLY shorten the life of the bulb.

Don't worry, if you happen to contaminate the bulb, just clean it with some rubbing alcohol.

Using a screwdriver, carefully pry the bulb from the base.

pic11.jpg

Install the new bulb in the base, clean with alcohol if necessary.

Now, reverse the procedure...

When it comes time to put the rubber cover back on, (just before hooking up the electrical connector, make sure the drain holes are pointing DOWN.

pic12.jpg

Now, aligning the headlight...

I did this BEFORE I mounted the cluster...made it MUCH easier.

I just hooked the cluster electrical connector up and pushed the cluster into the grommets.

Then, I took my little ratchet, with a 10mm socket and rode out to a non-busy side-street that was fairly dark.

I then moved the cluster out of the way and adjusted the headlight. Once I was happy with the alignment, I rode home and finished buttoning it up.

Thankyou so much for helping me on this...this will make it easy even for a shlep like me
biggrin.gif

What a great place this is!!!
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

You can see that the SilverStar is a much brighter, whiter light.

It was very noticable! I'm happy with it.

One of these days, I'll get HID, but until then, SilverStar is the way to go!

Enjoy!

--Omar

It looks good to me...plenty bright with the silverstar and thanks again Oms I owe ya my first born.
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|ozz
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145580466 -->

Back