Raider... oh raider...  **DECISION MADE***

OK, Well thus far I have driven the RX8, BMW 540i, M45, 350Z, and yes a 2006 MX-5 Miata. Of these I really REALLY loved the 540i but I am not really in the market for a big supercool sedan and hell it's a tad $$$$.

So, Currently the RX-8 is leading the pack, Mostly on a value basis. I was a bit bummed with it's lack of low down, midrange, and hell to some extent it's top end power, but it's got a terrific gearbox so rowing between 6 gears is a good time. Also the dealer has an 05 demo on the lot that comes with 12K miles, has everything on it, and includes a 96K mile warranty. Not to mention they are just a good group of folks.

So I am debating on if I should go drive an Infiniti G35 Coupe or not. It'll probably fit me a little better, has more bottom end, and a VQ motor that I love. However, the nearest dealer is a good 40 minute drive, it's more money, and there won't be much if any warranty.

But I think I have just about got it narrowed down. RX8 Or G35 Coupe...

g35coupe06_07.jpg

What are your plans for the car and will you be modding it?

Do you plan to go to the track, autocross or 1/4-mile from time to time...or is this just a weekend cruiser??

The Car will be my daily 1.4 mile commuter and weekend getaway toy. Except when I'm riding of course.

No Real mods, RX would get some bolt-ons, maybe a cat back, but No, I am not a big "Mods" kinda guy, I am a fan of undoing what the EPA and DOT did but otherwise I leave things alone.

Do you plan to go to the track, autocross or 1/4-mile from time to time...or is this just a weekend cruiser??
But, The RX8 would probably find itself in a good number of SCCA Rallycross?? I think it is events. Ya Know, timed laps around a closed course? Usually in a big parking lot?

Lots of fun to be had there for the cost of a set of wheels and good track tires.

Bro....hells yes on the G35!!! Those things are sick....
thumbs-up.gif

I woulda loved to get me one, but the "new" price tag is outta my reach. Love 'em, though....

Another cool tool is the Subaru WRX. Hell, it's a turbo 4 and handles like it's on rails. On top of that, it's pretty nasty down the straight too. A little small, but tons of fun.

Just an idea.

You didn't dig the M45? I was wondering how the torque was on that baby.

But, The RX8 would probably find itself in a good number of SCCA Rallycross??  I think it is events.  Ya Know, timed laps around a closed course?  Usually in a big parking lot?  

Lots of fun to be had there for the cost of a set of wheels and good track tires.
Revlis,

From the sound of things, you need to go drive a Mitsubishi EVO IV or Subaru STi. I know you are going to say Mitsubishi/Subaru...."yuck" and I agree but.....

.....you will love the cars. They both drive a million times better than the RX-8 and both own it pretty much in every performance category. Not to mention the EVO/STi is 4-door, AWD, 6-speed and BOTH have TURBO's also.
smile.gif

They are the most fun on the Autocross/SCCA courses. The new EVO is an 11-second car with just the basic bolt-ons. You won't believe how much fun both cars are. Even if you don't want one or think they are ugly junk....GO DRIVE ONE BEFORE YOU BUYING ANYTHING.

They are great daily drivers and get 25+mpg in the process....

Rev -
You do realize that the G35 coupe is
just a 350z with a back seat?
rock.gif

Same platform, engine, suspension etc.
Built on the same factory line even.

pirate.gif
Raider out.

<!--EDIT|RaiderDm
Reason for Edit: "1376"|1142598505 -->

Rev...picked this thread up late. I'm assuming from the list that a convertible is not desired?? If not, put a Z4 on the list...after owning a Z3 and driving some 4's, I know that the 4's are vastly improved over the 3's.

Now the MeatHead vote....for your 30K, you could find a very clean, very nice 00-02 Vette coupe....350 hp, active suspension, earth rotating torque, and great brakes. Yeah, it's a Chevy...but it is a very good car. Mod's are plentiful and cheap...and they are just plain good lookin' rides in MHO.

If you drive an SLK, skip the 230, proceed straight to a 320 or 350. the Benz 4 banger, even boosted, is wheezy and tinny sounding. The sixes, however, are smooth as butter and nicely tuned. Hell, for that matter, I'd put a CLK coupe on the "drive" list....but probly not as sporty as you are looking for. My CLK 430 Cab suprised it's fair share of GT Stangs, though!!

Keep us posted!!

But, The RX8 would probably find itself in a good number of SCCA Rallycross??  I think it is events.  Ya Know, timed laps around a closed course?  Usually in a big parking lot?  

Revlis,

From the sound of things, you need to go drive a Mitsubishi EVO IV or Subaru STi.  I know you are going to say Mitsubishi/Subaru...."yuck" and I agree but.....

.....you will love the cars.  They both drive a million times better than the RX-8 and both own it pretty much in every performance category.  Not to mention the EVO/STi is 4-door, AWD, 6-speed and BOTH have TURBO's also.
smile.gif

They are the most fun on the Autocross/SCCA courses.  The new EVO is an 11-second car with just the basic bolt-ons.  You won't believe how much fun both cars are.  Even if you don't want one or think they are ugly junk....GO DRIVE ONE BEFORE YOU BUYING ANYTHING.

They are great daily drivers and get 25+mpg in the process....
That's a Good point I do like Subarus actually. I gotta give that a try. Mitsubishi??? I dunno, I'll look though.

Rev -
rock.gif

pirate.gif
Raider out.
Yeah, But the suspension is tweaked differently, the materials are different, the chassis is a good 4" longer, and the Motor from the Z is sweet! So that's a good thing.

Here's the deal, I like the RX8 but at the same time I am not certain that I am not more of a GT guy than a real Sports car guy. The RX8 is fun and entertaining, but it's complete lack of torque down low is a real concern for a guy who like's (Right NOW) acceleration.

The Infiniti's are smoother, more comfortable, and I gotta tell ya I like the design a little better. But We'll see. I haven't driven one yet. And that Loaded RX is calling out to me.

BTW though Bro, Go Drive a G35 Coupe, I think you'll be surprised at the way they pull off the line.
thumbs-up.gif
Torque, it's why I got a Busa...

Rev...picked this thread up late.  I'm assuming from the list that a convertible is not desired?? If not, put a Z4 on the list...after owning a Z3 and driving some 4's, I know that the 4's are vastly improved over the 3's.

Now the MeatHead vote....for your 30K, you could find a very clean, very nice 00-02 Vette coupe....350 hp, active suspension, earth rotating torque, and great brakes. Yeah, it's a Chevy...but it is a very good car. Mod's are plentiful and cheap...and they are just plain good lookin' rides in MHO.

If you drive an SLK, skip the 230, proceed straight to a 320 or 350. the Benz 4 banger, even boosted, is wheezy and tinny sounding. The sixes, however, are smooth as butter and nicely tuned. Hell, for that matter, I'd put a CLK coupe on the "drive" list....but probly not as sporty as you are looking for. My CLK 430 Cab suprised it's fair share of GT Stangs, though!!  

Keep us posted!!
Thanks Bro, I actually came across some special lease deals on a Z4 3.0 and it brings the payments to something more inline with what I want to pay and I love the look.  Will hopefully go drive one this weekend or next.  

As for the vette's?....  I dunno, I like the cars, but at the same time I kinda don't know if I want one...  make sense?  

If I could afford a new 2006 I'd say hell yeah, but used, I dunno...

I shelved the SLK, just didn't fit right and I eally don't like the look.

As for the CLK, I like em' a lot but there is a $$$ line I am not in a hurry to cross and the CLKs I like tend to be on the wrong side. But I was looking. I am learning that while I value performance, I want something comfy, NOT cushy, just a good place to spend some time.

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1142635509 -->

Rev -
rock.gif

pirate.gif
Raider out.
Yeah, But the suspension is tweaked differently, the materials are different, the chassis is a good 4" longer, and the Motor from the Z is sweet!  So that's a good thing.

Here's the deal, I like the RX8 but at the same time I am not certain that I am not more of a GT guy than a real Sports car guy.  The RX8 is fun and entertaining, but it's complete lack of torque down low is a real concern for a guy who like's (Right NOW) acceleration.  

The Infiniti's are smoother, more comfortable, and I gotta tell ya I like the design a little better.  But We'll see.  I haven't driven one yet.  And that Loaded RX is calling out to me.

BTW though Bro, Go Drive a G35 Coupe, I think you'll be surprised at the way they pull off the line.  
thumbs-up.gif
 Torque, it's why I got a Busa...
Ummm . . . Rev . . .

There isn't a performance car out there available to the
public that I haven't driven.
tounge.gif

I go to the dealerships so often, the sales guys don't even look up anymore.
wow.gif

I admit the G35 is better than the 350, But as you know
I voted with my wallet and got the 8. But then I LIKE passing everyone in the corners.

Do you remember SR60? The left hander under the vets to get
on Independance? ( The left AFTER the causeway )
Nothing like blowing through there at 80 !!!
biggrin.gif
mad.gif
alien.gif

Anyway, its yer money and yer ride so its all
cool.gif
thumbs-up.gif

pirate.gif
Raider out.

thumbs-up.gif

pirate.gif

OK Bro, I hear ya. I'm feeling ya. Drove the G35 and I like it. But then went and drove the RX8 again and I like it better. BUT THen I fugged up and drove an Audi TT... and THen THere were TWO.

For the Money I'd like to spend it comes down to this I think. A New RX-8 Loaded, or a Used Audi TT Quattro loaded. Gotta tell ya the RX8 was a blast though last night. Took it out to some simple little twisties and really opened it up couldn't believe how smooth it was on the highway at 75 either, impressive... Good Stuff.

It has all the goodies, Moon roof, leather, seat warmers, bose, yadda yadda... $27K with 5K miles on it and an extended 100K warranty. 9000k RPM Redline and the freaking sweat engine and tranny noises rock and there is legitimate room for 4, so long as your not too tall.

But on the downside It's not the most comfortable for me, it's just a tad small. Wife complained about the Footwell? Does that make any sense? It gets crappy gas milage (Not a Huge Issue), and while it's fun, it's allmost Busa kinda fun, most fun when your beyond what legal. The RX really has a great rush from 7-9K RPMs but other wise the motor is a little flat.

OK

The Audi TT Quattro. I remember when these freaky little things first came out I was like WTF? But I really dug the design and attention to detail. SO figured I should drive one and it just so happens I had that chance last night.

What a Hoot. First and maybe foremost, it's fit's me like a glove with PLENTY of headroom left over and the seat was alot more comfy than the RX. BUT like I said it fits me like a glove, not a lot of room for others. There are seats in back, but I cannot think of anyone who would fit over the age of 10. They are obviously insurance seats. Now the drive, it's AWD and off the line the TT springs forward after just a moment of Turbo lag. But I can put all 225 HP to the ground at once and just go this was a lot of fun. Handling wise I loved it. I don't think it's limits are as high as the RX, but it's got a great balance and Feel that the RX lacks, I could really tell what the car was doing and the way the car tracks and responds was great.

The best part about the Audi besides it's comfort and feel is the solidity and the design of the car. It has a good feel to it and every part of that car has been gone over by a designer. The Switchgear, the door latches, everything has a great look and feel to it. Top it all off it's going for $5K less than the Mazda.

-BUT-

It's used like I said has 45K miles on it, has no warranty, and although this doesn't worry me too much, I kinda liked the idea of buying new even against my better Financial (depreciation) sense. Now I do have a good relationship with the Dealer, they are both at the Mazda dealership so I am not too concerned about getting a lemon or anything, and the Audi TT has a wonderful quality track record so I dunno... Oh and the Audi has FUNK. Just a Funky Artsy-fartsy look and feel that fits me well.

I am kinda having a hard time figuring it out.

They are both Differen't... Both are listed as sports cars, Both are not really practical, Both are fast enough with the Audi being a little Quicker outta the gate, Both are better than what I am driving now, and both would be seriously fun.

RX8
-Full warranty
-Brand New
-Seats Four (for short trips)
-Fun to drive
-Great noises
-Great handling
-Makes me giggle
-Amazing Tranny

Audi TT Quattro
-AWD Year around use
-Quick
-Cool Styling
-Better comfort for 2
-cool Turbo Hiss and Pops
-Slick 6-Speed Tranny
-German Fit and finish
-Better Road "feel"
-Funky

Hmm, so here I am. I decided against driving a New Z4 even with the lease offers Insurance would be pretty stiff and suck up more money than is needed for my 1.4 mile commute.
wink.gif

Tint the windows and hook it up with some Blacked out wheels with chrome lips... Done..

auditt09.jpg

This is pretty much exactly what I am looking at in the RX

Rx8grey.jpg

Does the TT have that way cool "baseball glove" interior stitching?? That is a cool looking interior!

Does the TT have that way cool "baseball glove" interior stitching?? That is a cool looking interior!
Nope, No Baseball glove on the ones I am looking at, I am guessing that is primarily (only?) available on the Convertibles.

Well after thinking about it for a day I am prolly going to go after the Audi TT. Mostly cause of the design, and comfort. It really fit me well and I had fun driving it. Besides, with the Audi I can pick it up and in a year or so if I don't like it I can sell it for about what I paid for it minus my down payment.

So, I'll give it a try and if I am not happy I'll try something else. Besides the New BMW Z4 M-Coupe is coming next year and I will want one, so this may work out well.

Hopefully I'll have pictures next week. We'll see

Rev,

If you like Subaru, YOU NEED TO DRIVE AN IMPREZA STI!  Trust me, YOU WILL LOVE THE CAR.  It will own that little RX-8 all over the Auto-X course.  Trust me, I have raced the EVO and STi both and the times aren't even close.  The only thing that can compete stock is a Z06 Vette and that is almost twice the price.

Please....GO DRIVE A STI or EVO....!
wink.gif

Josh
cool.gif

Back