Need another answer

busa_boy_69

Registered
I posted a thread a couple days ago regarding a leak I have that seems to be coming out of where the line attaches to the cooler. One response from someone was that the oil cooler itself might be cracked. I really don't think thats the case it seems to come from the line. My question is if the O-RING is installed WITHOUT being greased could that cause the line to seal correctly? I installed the new ring without any kind of grease I just put it in there. The Suzuki manual says its supposed to be greased and I didn't know it until afterwards. Just wondering what you all think.

Personally, I don't see where not greasing the O-ring will cause an incorrect seal~ I think that reasoning is mainly to prolong the life of the O-ring itself~ It does have me wondering if the O-ring stayed in place upon reinstalation of the line? I can see it leaking from there if this was the case... or if the O-ring has dry rotted and no longer is sealing properly~
Just my thoughts on it... good luck~
wink.gif

Personally, I don't see where not greasing the O-ring will cause an incorrect seal~ I think that reasoning is mainly to prolong the life of the O-ring itself~ It does have me wondering if the O-ring stayed in place upon reinstalation of the line? I can see it leaking from there if this was the case... or if the O-ring has dry rotted and no longer is sealing properly~
Just my thoughts on it... good luck~
wink.gif
Well I put a brand new O-RING in and it still leaked. I dunno if it is shifting as the line gets tightened down or what. I am really running out of thoughts on this my bike may have to go to Suzuki its looking like : (

If it's the proper oring and you lubbed it before you installed it, there should be no problem. We have many hydraulic machines and I am well schooled in oring leaks. If the oring is not the proper size, it will leak. If the mating surfaces are not clean, it will leak. So, first off make sure you have the right Oring. Hopefully you got one from Suzuki? Clean the mating surfaces REALLY clean. When I put orings in, I use regular grease such as the stuff you'd grease your ujoints or tie rod ends with such as Chevron No. 2. By rubbing a little grease on the oring before you install it, makes it stay in place while you tighten up the fitting. If you did everything properly, and had the oring grove clean along with the mating surface, it should not leak.

If it still leaks, take a rag and clean the fitting. Start your bike and let it run until you see the leak. Watch for the exact place the oil is coming form. If it's the oring it will be coming our around the threads. However, it may be a hair line crack around the fitting or could be the hose you are connecting up to it. With a flashlight and a rag along with a little effort you'll be able to pin point where the oil is coming from.

The reason Suzuki wants you to lube the oring is so as you tighten the two surfaces together, the steel don't grab the dry rubber of the oring and wad it up or tear it as you tighten the fitting.

Keep us posted!

grease on the o ring also holds it in place while its being installed. Especially in cases where the o ring is sloppy in the groove that it sits in. If all you did was remover the line,and re-install with a new o ring my guess is you over tightened and caused a little hair line frac. Hard to see,but once the oil is under pressure....

If it's the proper oring and you lubbed it before you installed it, there should be no problem. We have many hydraulic machines and I am well schooled in oring leaks. If the oring is not the proper size, it will leak. If the mating surfaces are not clean, it will leak. So, first off make sure you have the right Oring. Hopefully you got one from Suzuki? Clean the mating surfaces REALLY clean. When I put orings in, I use regular grease such as the stuff you'd grease your ujoints or tie rod ends with such as Chevron No. 2. By rubbing a little grease on the oring before you install it, makes it stay in place while you tighten up the fitting. If you did everything properly, and had the oring grove clean along with the mating surface, it should not leak.

If it still leaks, take a rag and clean the fitting. Start your bike and let it run until you see the leak. Watch for the exact place the oil is coming form. If it's the oring it will be coming our around the threads. However, it may be a hair line crack around the fitting or could be the hose you are connecting up to it.  With a flashlight and a rag along with a little effort you'll be able to pin point where the oil is coming from.

The reason Suzuki wants you to lube the oring is so as you tighten the two surfaces together, the steel don't grab the dry rubber of the oring and wad it up or tear it as you tighten the fitting.

Keep us posted!
Thanks Tufbusa. That was what I was needing to hear. I did get the o-ring from Suzuki and it was exactly the same as the factory one I took out. I was just thinking that since I didn't grease it maybe it was shifting as I installed it or was getting pinched or something. I am gonna use that kind of grease you are talking about with a new O-RING and see what happens. I will keep you posted for sure. I appreciate the feedback alot bro.

grease on the o ring also holds it in place while its being installed. Especially in cases where the o ring is sloppy in the groove that it sits in. If all you did was remover the line,and re-install with a new  o ring my guess is you over tightened and caused a little hair line frac. Hard to see,but once the oil is under pressure....
Hmmm.....I see what your saying rubbah. But where do you think it might be fractured? The line or the cooler itself? Sorry for asking all these questions but I really can not tell where the oil is coming from because it won't leak at idle. I have to take the bike out and ride it to put pressure on it THEN it leaks.....but by the time I get back the wind has sprayed the oil a little bit. It really seems to come from behind where the line connects. One thing that was mentioned was cleaning the surface to. I didn't do that. Maybe the ring just isn't positioning correctly. I will have to clean it, grease it, ride it, and then after this weekend see what happens. Thanks for the feedback though man.

More then likely if you fractured it it would be a hairline crackwhere the threads end and the shoulder begins or in between a thread groove either surface.. more then likely if it is cracked it is in the female side..

find a local hydraulics shop....take your lines...tell them you want SS replacements for these. You'll get better lines and add a bling factor.

just out of curiosity...do the threads of the bolts have oil on them when you extract them?
rock.gif

or try one of the sh.org guys that have gone turbo or installed sidewaider exhausts...generally those people have eliminated their oil coolers and may have a stock set sitting around.

any good auto parts store , should sell th u.v . additive for oil , simply add the additive and ride , then look at the leak with a black light also available from the parts store you should be able to trace the leak right back to its source , if the line/cooler is cracked the crack will glow making it visable ? , but , i would atleast remove the line and inspect the o ring first

Easiest way to fix it and be done with it is $65 shipped and you install your orings and your back out riding...think of how much time youv'e spent chasing a leak....Done lines and all

oil1.jpg

More then likely if you fractured it it would be a hairline crackwhere the threads end and the shoulder begins or in between a thread groove either surface.. more then likely if it is cracked it is in the female side..
I am gonna pull the line back off this weekend and closely inspect the line connector and the female side of the cooler itself. See if I can notice any damage.

find a local hydraulics shop....take your lines...tell them you want SS replacements for these.  You'll get better lines and add a bling factor.

just out of curiosity...do the threads of the bolts have oil on them when you extract them?
rock.gif

or try one of the sh.org guys that have gone turbo or installed sidewaider exhausts...generally those people have eliminated their oil coolers and may have a stock set sitting around.
Well I couldn't really tell because by the time I had the line off the oil was running everywhere. I am gonna drain the oil this weekend and pull the line and I will inspect them after they come out.

any good auto parts store , should sell th u.v . additive for oil , simply add the additive and ride , then look at the leak  with a black light  also available from the parts store  you should be able to trace the leak right back to its source , if the line/cooler is cracked  the crack will glow  making it visable ? , but , i would atleast remove the line and inspect the o ring first
Now theres a good idea since tracing the start of the leak is proving to be pretty difficult.

Back