Tech question

busa_boy_69

Registered
Okay heres the backround. I installed a Full Exhaust system a couple weeks ago and to do so I removed the oil cooler and disconnected the lines. Everything went smooth I thought until after it was on and everything was reassembled I noticed on the left side of the bike there was trace amounts of oil coming from the oil cooler right where the oil line attached to the cooler.

Now my first thought was maybe the bolts weren't completely tightened so I check and they were down tight. Then I started thinking back to reassembling it and thought maybe I forgot to put the rubber o-ring back in there or it wasn't seated right. Or maybe it was even pinched or just old. SOOO on to my next step. I went to Suzuki and ordered two new bolts to connect the line and I was going to get a new O-ring. When I was ordering the O-ring the man at Suzuki said there were 2 O-rings for it. I thought well maybe there are so I ordered 2. Well.....

Today I went in the garage, undid the line, and only had one o-ring to remove so I was confused. BUT I went ahead and replaced the one in there with the new one. I reinstalled the line and wiped all the oil off. I took the bike out for a ride and came back with the same oil running down that side of the cooler. It is definately coming out of the where the line attaches (see pic below). So my question is are there two rubber O-rings that install in there and if so how exactly do they go on? I only have one groove for one ring it seems. Secondly if anyone has a picture showing how that connects it would be greatly helpfull. I can't get my bike back together until I stop this leak and thats all I am waiting for. Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and helps. I don't want to have to take my bike to the shop for something this small and I am probably just missing something.

See pics..........(sorry for qaulity, cam phone)

Oil_Cooler_Line.jpg

Pressure test it in your sink. I had the same thing. Put on a brock pipe and twisted the oil line a little. Cracked the top of the oil cooler but you couldn't see it with the naked eye. I thought (like you) it was the joint but it wasn't.

In the end I took it to a rad shop and they welded it all up for just under $100 CAD. There's only one o-ring in each joint.

I got a quote on a new one. $600!!!

he is correct you may have slightly cracked the line or the cooler itself..i got one if you need it.lmk what you find.

that connection is pretty much fool proof. O rings do crush down after use,so U did right changing that out.
Make sure thats where its coming from by looking at the connection with the plastics off and the bike running.
 The hose could have a tiny crack in it from over torquing,or there could be debris in there. That connection takes only 1 o ring.
I dont know what else you could try.

RSD.

<!--EDIT|rubbersidedown
Reason for Edit: None given...|1140930097 -->

If the line is cracked be sure not to over tighten the new one.Its the o ring that makes a tite seal,not the force you put on those tiny botls or that soft alluminum.

Pressure test it in your sink.  I had the same thing.  Put on a brock pipe and twisted the oil line a little.  Cracked the top of the oil cooler but you couldn't see it with the naked eye.  I thought (like you) it was the joint but it wasn't.

In the end I took it to a rad shop and they welded it all up for just under $100 CAD.  There's only one o-ring in each joint.

I got a quote on a new one.  $600!!!
Oh dude thats not the news I was wanting to hear. I kinda began to suspect that myself. I noticed yesterday INSIDE the fins on the cooler itself there seemed to be a lot of fresh oil. My only problem was that I wasn't sure if where I had taken it out and rode it the wind had blew it there or if it was leaking from there. The one thing I do know for a FACT is that there is definitely oil coming from the place where the line connects to the cooler. It was bone dry when I left and you can go out in the garage now and just see the wet fresh oil around the connection. One thing I noticed yesterday after I failed was I pulled out the Suzuki manual and there is a note in there to make sure and grease the O-RING before you reinstall it. I did not know that and just put it in there dry. Do you think this may be a cause or should I just inspect for more damage. Also how exactly do you pressure test the cooler in the sink if I have to go that route?

he is correct you may have slightly cracked the line or the cooler itself..i got one if you need it.lmk what you find.
I will man appreciate the looking out. I am thinking I didn't twist it or crack the line because I didn't try the install like most of the guys do. They don't UNHOOK the oil cooler. I did. I removed both lines and just took it out. So there was really no pressure put on the cooler lines and they weren't bent in a funny angle. It was really smooth. I see oil coming out of that connector piece. Its just like for some reason its not SEALING right. The cooler isn't even leaking oil on the floor. If it was cracked it would constantly be running oil. It doesn't do it until I take it out and put pressure on it and then it seems to come right out of that line joint. Guess its gonna be a testing process.

that connection is pretty much fool proof. O rings do crush down after use,so U did right changing that out.
Make sure thats where its coming from by looking at the connection with the plastics off and the bike running.
 The hose could have a tiny crack in it from over torquing,or there could be debris in there. That connection takes only 1 o ring.
I dont know what else you could try.

RSD.
Will do Rubbah. The only thing is when it idles it doesn't seem to do it. It's only after I take it out and put pressure on the engine that the oil really comes out. I guess I will just wipe it all off VERY clean and let it idle and see if I can trace it down exactly. This thing was not abused at all in the process thats why I am so baffled its doing this. And the other side line was done the same way and it sealed right back up dry as a bone. Friggin sucks dude. Got all that new crap on the bike and can't even enjoy it.

Back