Stock clutch

Gunnybusa

DEFENDER of the FAITH!
Donating Member
Registered
Ok I have just over 49,000 miles on the bike with no mods. I noticed what felt like either slippage on the clutch or wheel spin. I have recently switched to BT14’s but never have any problems in the corners. I get the slippage when I am in 1st or 2nd gear with warm tires straight line riding under hard acceleration around 7,000 rpm. It only slips for a moment.

Come on guys some one
1zhelp.gif
me out.

Gunny, I'm not to sure but it does sound like it might be the clutch to me. I'm sure someone's else might shed better light on the issue than me though. Did this problem just start to occur?

Gunny, I'm not to sure but it does sound like it might be the clutch to me. I'm sure someone's else might shed better light on the issue than me though. Did this problem just start to occur?
Right after I put in 20/50 oil ( by mistake ) and the BT14. It kept doing it even after I put 10/40 back in and put several thousand miles on the tire.

sounds like friction plates are going. 49000 ya cant complain could be that the 20 50 just added to the slippage made it more noticeable

<!--EDIT|id_gunnut
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139266625 -->

Sometimes the discs can get 'glazed' and you will find some slippage from it.

It seems to happen at the same spot of the on ramp. I cant see if there is something on the road due to it being dark when I ride through there, it has just started with in the last few months and I have been riding this pices of road for the last 4 years.

GunnyBusa, I have a 2001, and my clutch will slip in 2nd gear when on the throttle hard. the way I understand it is that each gear has its own clutch disk and backing plate. I would seriosly reconmend getting an aftermarket beefed up clutch with stiffer springs to prevent this from happening again. I think the stock clutches are horrible.:p

GunnyBusa, I have a 2001, and my clutch will slip in 2nd gear when on the throttle hard.  the way I understand it is that each gear has its own clutch disk and backing plate.  I would seriosly reconmend getting an aftermarket beefed up clutch with stiffer springs to prevent this from happening again.  I think the stock clutches are horrible.:p
Half of my riding is freeway and the other half is light to light city traffic. Is a HD clutch going to kill my hand?

gunny busa,stick with the stock clutches.i 've had sets of those so called performance clutches and they are not worth the money and 49,000 miles is awesome.clutch replacement is a breeze nothing to it when you go get your clutches tell them to make you a copy of the clutch assembly and it will list the order and part #.you can put stiffer springs on the stock clutches and be find.you can(IM )me if you need help!!!

<!--EDIT|busa crazy
Reason for Edit: None given...|1139356913 -->

IMG_0333.JPG

Back