fork seals

missilelike

Donating Member
Registered
getting started, get the strap positioned around the frame behind the upper triple.

<!--EDIT|missilelike
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136869986 -->

Picture_001.jpg

remove fender, you must turn it 90 degrees to get the fender out between the forks.

<!--EDIT|missilelike
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136870480 -->

Picture_009.jpg

draining the oil out of forks. I used a strap wrench around the fork outer tube and a large cresent wrench on the large top nut to open them up.

<!--EDIT|missilelike
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136870919 -->

Picture_016.jpg

back end of a drill bit in the vise. The vise covered with rags so I would not scratch any of the components. I used this drill thru the hole on the spring housing to compress the spring enough to get the lock nut past the sring housing(see next picture).

Picture_018.jpg

this the lock nut resting on the spring housing. There is a lot of spring pressre so be careful. To be safe put a small screwdriver thru the holes on the spring housing so the lock nut can not slip off. Did not get a picture but at this point is were you remove the large nut assembly by holding the lock nut with a end wrench and uncrewing the whole top assembly off.

<!--EDIT|missilelike
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136871455 -->

Picture_021.jpg

outer tube slides off. I didnt get all the pics like I wanted got in a hurry. but the seals are removed in this pic allready, sorry.

<!--EDIT|missilelike
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136871672 -->

Picture_019.jpg

Well that was the hardest stuff to do replacing the seals was just like any other seals, revoe the old ones with a srewdriver and press the new ones in with a seal driver and do the reverse of the operations. Hope these pics help. Sorry for missing some off the other pics, just got rushed and excited and stopped taking pictures. good luck, oh also I just followed the maintenance manual to bleed out the air after adding new oil, it was pretty self explanitory.

GOOD JOB .... GREAT PICS this looks just exactly how I did mine but the pics say it all you even got the same bolt for removing the front axle, we saved alot of $$$$ and these pics should help anyone that is on the fence ,just do it!!

Back