BigJohn' Simple HID Install

bigjohn141

Donating Member
Registered
OK class today we install an HID system on a 2004 Suzuki Hayabusa. First take some pics of regular bulbs to compare to.

Normal H7 low beam:

IM000097.JPG

Ok, done with that? Next remove the upper fairng on the motorcycle. This consists of the windsheild, inners, windage tray, and of course the nose.

It should look like this when you are done:

IM000100.JPG

Ok class now gather up your nose and your HID system and got in the house where it is air-conditioned. Now that you have cooled off you can start working with the small peices in tight areas. (some of you may already be use to this
laugh.gif
) Install the bulb and find a good out-of-the-way place for the ignitor and balast. Remove the wires from the HID-to-Stock connector because it is useless. Insert the male prong into the female slot. (again some are better at this than others
laugh.gif
) I suggest taping it all up to protect against shorts and to keep the weather out. Then connect the two wires of the HID bulb to the harness.

Here are some good places to put everything:

<!--EDIT|bigjohn141
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123199985 -->

notes.JPG

laugh.gif

Ok the next part is to reinstall and test. I have no pics of this because you took it apart so you should know how it goes back together.

As you can tell the HID look-a-like does a good job, but if you notice, the walls are brighter and the actual beam is more intence. In person the change is dramatic, you can't hardly stand to look in the genral directiion of the HID or you will see spots for a while.

The last step is to wait for dark and adjust the beam to your desired position. Thats all, class dismissed.

I must say if you have a couple extra hundered dollars laying around, DO THIS MOD! I can't wait for nightfall to see the true difference in the light.

NEXT CLASS:
INSTALLING MOMENTARY TO TOGGLE RELAYS

This class will show how to install a relay so you can activate you HID system with just a simple touch of your passing switch. PLEASE NOTE: This will be for 2004 and newer bikes.

<!--EDIT|bigjohn141
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123200944 -->

While looking at your 5,000k pic, I really couldn't look at it long either. You will find that you will get flashed my cages when you are in a turn lane in the DAYTIME! Forget about at night, then the cagers are sooooooo happy just to move out of your way so your not aluminate there whole car!
laugh.gif
cool.gif

Nice job & description!

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'>TIPS BRAH, WHOLE BUNCH OF TIPS, and WELCOME TO THE HID WORLD!.</span>

1.  I would suggest you mount that ballast on the ram air tube with a hoover vacuume #60 belt x2.  $1.49 + tax.  Giant rubber bands.  Where you have the square ballast "double sided taped" to the inside of the upper fairing is "cute" and the tape is "decent", HOWEVER with the vibrations and pounding the busa will give it, not to mention the "HEAT" coming off the bike/air and add a little moisture from where ever that baby is going to fall and beat the shytt out of that area.  TAKE IT FROM ME.  Tried it all and HID is not new to me.  MOVE THAT BALLAST.

2.  A better spot for the "IGNITER" that you have "DOUBLE TAPPED" to the other turnsignal is on the "SHELF" right above the headlight.  From the front side it would be under the "DASHBOARD" directly under the windshield.  From the shelf to the bulb is perfect.  CANT GO ANYWHERE.  anytime your using "stick" to hold you dont want it "VERTICLE"...

3.  Looking at the cutoff from the reflection on the wall YOU WILL NEED TO ADJUST THE HID UPWARD SOME.

goto a flat wall and sit on the bike 2" from the wall.  Take some masking tape and place a horizontal piece directly across the "hot spot" of the bulb while your sitting on it.  (HAVE A BUDDY TAPE IT).  Then make a verticle one done thru the hot spot making a "PLUS" sign on the wall thru the center of the light.  

MARK THE GROUND NEXT TO THE FRONT TIRE SO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU WERE EXACTLY.  MEASURE STR8 BACK 25 feet and make the wall again.  You will see that the bulb is low.  Now back up 50 feet and mark it again.  then back up to 75 feet and mark it again.  EASIER IF INSTRUMENT CLUSTER IS LOOSE TO ACCESS ADJUSTMENT BOLTS.  somewhere between 50-75 feet depending on your weight raise the bulb up to the original taped plus sign.  This should get you close.  A little higher but on a bike you need to see as far down the road as you can.  A stock bulb is set at 25 feet.

YOURS IS LOW
JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123209472 -->

JD,

1st my ballast is located in the same place as BJ along with s others here that purchased the Xenon King and have had no problem.

2nd To easily adjust your HID and to make sure it isnt shooting in the same pattern as your Hi beam. I would do everything you said except using the tape and measureing technique.  
I found it to be moore acurate with less involvement to have both llights illuminated on the wall while you're sitting on the bike while making the adjustment to the low beam adjustment bolt on the rear side of the headlight housing.  Once you're done adjusting the low beam you should have two separate light beams hitting the wall.

Click onto the below link !!!

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123211158 -->

I just used the mounting holes in the ballast to run some zipties thru and secured it to the bottom side of the support arm for the gauges....it's way above the damnpner there....and the tape peeling away will never be an issue.
I wound up not having to remove the nose at all....just the inner dash panels, windscreen, and the gauge pod.

nice job with the pics tho...wish I had taken the time to do the same.
wink.gif

Not meaning to put down anything at all. Im glad the pics were taken it will help out so many people. However just because you havnt had the problem yet doesnt mean it wont happen. The zip ties as a second measure is a good idea for the least. WHEN my first one "became unstuck" using the same "sticky tape patch" it beat the hell out of the inside of the fairing as well as broke the "pointed" prong that help holds the nose section. It also put a dent in the ballast and pulled strain on the cable thinning it out some because I didnt know it came loose. Couple wheelies later damaged!. I hope you guys never have any trouble at all, Im just speaking from damaged experience. LQQkin to save someone else from my pains!

Thanks for the links Ty.........

Not Knockn you,Playa !

Who do think help you decide where you should mount your HID ballastr in the first place and as well with the original HID install you started selln years ago
wink.gif

P.S.
Alot of problems can arise from catwalkn your bike and laying your bike down !

Ty

<!--EDIT|Rhythm
Reason for Edit: None given...|1123214795 -->

Back