New busa rider needs an answer...

SDBusa

Registered
just bought a 2005 blue/silver hayabusa a couple of weeks ago after a looong wait.  
cool.gif

upgraded from a 97 zx-9r and i couldn't be happier.  however i would like to know what the japanese character is on the side of my bike.  the salesman nor the finance guy at the dealership knew which i thought was odd.  does it simply mean "Hayabusa"?  i know the bike gets it's name from a bird, maybe it has something to do with that.  help a newb out...  
1zhelp.gif

p.s.  read some other "new bike" posts and saw this site loves the photos, so here ya go...

<!--EDIT|SDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122635327 -->

smallfront.jpg

The kanji symbol on our bikes is literally "Hayabusa" -> its the japanese name for the Peregrine Falcon a raptor with two characteristics particularly pertinent to our favorite bike

1) It can dive at up to 200 Mph

2) It has been known to eat blackbirds for lunch...

Here is a link to more useless trivia ...

another link about the bike...

--Steve

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: "Now with 50% more information!!!"|1122636169 -->

thanks man, that's what i figured but wanted to be sure before i start getting asked.

thanks for the links as well...
beerchug.gif

The kanji symbol on our bikes is literally "Hayabusa" -> its the japanese name for the Peregrine Falcon a raptor with two characteristics particularly pertinent to our favorite bike

--Steve
I thought it was the Japanese symbol for "nuclear reactor".

Me being Asian (Korean), I have a roommate that is Japanese. He came here when he was 17, so he is fluent in Japanese and is pretty good in English (strong accent). He told me that the symbol is japanese for Hayabusa, but that the character isn't really japanese. It has some symbols taken from the chinese language (or the chinese created it) and the japanese used it for the bike. Something along those lines, I thought it was weird but he grew up with the japanese bikes and cars so I think he knows his stuff.

just bought a 2005 blue/silver hayabusa a couple of weeks ago after a looong wait.  
cool.gif

upgraded from a 97 zx-9r and i couldn't be happier.  however i would like to know what the japanese character is on the side of my bike.  the salesman nor the finance guy at the dealership knew which i thought was odd.  does it simply mean "Hayabusa"?  i know the bike gets it's name from a bird, maybe it has something to do with that.  help a newb out...  
1zhelp.gif

p.s.  read some other "new bike" posts and saw this site loves the photos, so here ya go...
Nice bike!!! you bought the fastest color, good luck and start saving your money for the mods its addictive.

Me being Asian (Korean), I have a roommate that is Japanese. He came here when he was 17, so he is fluent in Japanese and is pretty good in English (strong accent). He told me that the symbol is japanese for Hayabusa, but that the character isn't really japanese. It has some symbols taken from the chinese language (or the chinese created it) and the japanese used it for the bike. Something along those lines, I thought it was weird but he grew up with the japanese bikes and cars so I think he knows his stuff.
very close. Actually it is a stylized Kanji symbol. So it's kind of both. It's Kanji so it has Chinese roots, but it's Japanese because modern Japanese tends to use Kanji for nouns. Personally, I'm really glad there's that Intarweb-thingie out there to help me with these things...

Pedantically yours,

--Steve

--Steve
I have a Chinese friend that has told me that both symbols on the bike mean "Accurate". He said it implies power.

It has nothing to do with the name, just the capabilities.

Honda Blackbirds
laugh.gif
I once owned a 1999 CBR1100XX (Blackbird) and can't argue the point, it was a nice bike, but definitely no match for the mighty busa!
Yeah. I prolly shouldn't be talkin' smack. Out of the bikes I have owned and/or had a chance to ride, I honestly have never ridden a Blackbird.

I was just tryin' to make a funny, and pokin' fun...  
biggrin.gif

By the by, SDBusa, I didn't tell you in my last post, but...boy, your bike is a beaut. Very nice.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|Busa_05
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122659445 -->

it means YEEEE HAAAAWWW
tounge.gif
and welcome to the board you definitely bought the fastest color

<!--EDIT|onerabidshark
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122664477 -->

busahelmet2.jpg

One of our student workers is from China and she said it's really nothing, but that she could pull strong bird out of it so I agree that it is a stylized kanji or not Chinese at least.

She said the upper part of the symbol is a bird, but not a specific one. And the figure that it is above is related to strength.

also...

http://www.hyp4r.com/hayabusa/misc.htm

--Steve
I have a Chinese friend that has told me that both symbols on the bike mean "Accurate". He said it implies power.

It has nothing to do with the name, just the capabilities.
no soup for you. It means "Hayabusa" which means "Falcon"

Suzuki has a history of this sort of logo, the old katanas also had a kanji logo, "katana" = sword:

look here

c.f. here

It's a little stylized, but it's still Falcon.

This doesn't, of course, rule out that the Chinese symbols for "accurate" and/or "power" (or even "bird") may be the roots for the symbol - that's how some words in Chinese are put together, using symbols for other words...

-- Steve

<!--EDIT|expat
Reason for Edit: None given...|1122670878 -->

now it makes sense on all the confusion i run into asking my bike buddies this question. i have a buddy at work who told me it was two words but he wasn't sure about either of them. that chinese thing explains why he couldn't read them...

also thanks for all the props on the color, it does feel faster than the red/black one i test rode...
tounge.gif

Me being Asian (Korean), I have a roommate that is Japanese.  He came here when he was 17, so he is fluent in Japanese and is pretty good in English (strong accent).  He told me that the symbol is japanese for Hayabusa, but that the character isn't really japanese.  It has some symbols taken from the chinese language (or the chinese created it) and the japanese used it for the bike.  Something along those lines, I thought it was weird but he grew up with the japanese bikes and cars so I think he knows his stuff.
I work with a lady from Beijing.  (She's looking over my shoulder as I type this out right now.)  
smile.gif
 What she reads when she sees the symbol is "good vehicle".

I guess that because it's stylized, you might be able to see different meanings in the symbol.

Back