How much power will a belt drive handle??

Meta title: Belt drive

Meta description: Belt drive

Theoretically, infinite, but the problem is that the higher power you go the wider the belt has to be, which is why it's unfeasible for a sportbike, and why the highpowered choppers you see have like 4" belts and that sort of ####.

Theoretically, infinite, but the problem is that the higher power you go the wider the belt has to be, which is why it's unfeasible for a sportbike, and why the highpowered choppers you see have like 4" belts and that sort of ####.
Exactly.

And the wider the belt, the more chance of getting something caught between the belt and "sprocket" that would damage the belt.

dunno if i agree.. my belt is two inches and can handle a lot of abuse.. except after a big feed , then a slight tension adjustment will fix it ...

dunno if i agree.. my belt is two inches and can handle a lot of abuse.. except after a big feed , then a slight tension adjustment will fix it ...
That's funny,
rock.gif
uhm, right?
wink.gif

My Warrior and Silverado both have belts and I like them, no maintenance, but they'd never be able to handle the power of the Busa. True sport bikes will have chains until someone invents a lightweight alternative that can handle the power and revs.

I would disagree with the statement the Busa could not handle a belt. We have debated this before and the bikes that have 4-5" belt drives are on an open primary drive and not the final drive. Simms, who makes my custom, is building 200+hp Thug motor with belt drives and doing OK, hhmmm.
rock.gif

Sarah_Dad_The_game___6_05_2004_052.jpeg

Belts can handle the power. They can't handle the jerk effect created by allot of riders who beat their bikes. Dumping clutches or popping them , constant traction loss and grab etc will snap a belt. MANY forklifts uses belt drives and they have more power potential than a stock Busa.

I would disagree with the statement the Busa could not handle a belt. We have debated this before and the bikes that have 4-5" belt drives are on an open primary drive and not the final drive. Simms, who makes my custom, is building 200+hp Thug motor with belt drives and doing OK, hhmmm.
rock.gif
This is kind of what I based my thoughts on. Then again drag bikes all seem to run chains, even bikes like the Yamaha Warrior that comes stock with a belt drive. The other problem would be fitting the larger front drive pully. My guess is the larger the pullies, the more contact the belt would have increasing the power transfer.
Personally, the way I ride, I'd probably never have a problem. Doing a conversion would probably take longer than adjusting the chain for the rest of my life!!

Does Simms run a double belt set up for the final drive??

rock.gif
Depends on the width of the belt. Who wants a wide belt running back to the rear wheel on the Busa?

I'm aslo active on a board dedicated to the Yamaha Road Star Warrior (belt drive) and a few of the members who have done major engine mods have had to switch to chain drive because the belt couldn't handle the increased HP and torque.

I'm all for belts, low maintenance and light weight, but I don't think they're ready for the Busa.

Back