ATTN 05 BUSA OWNERS

JCinTX

Registered
Well, I decided I was gonna take the ole girl out for a ride this afternoon and not long after my ride began it ended by the shifter shaft backing out of the bolt hole in the footpeg. I have never had any kinda problem like this with any other motorcycle and I also called JC while trying to figure out what to do and he hadn't heard of it either so maybe it's something new or maybe the mechanic or whoever put my bike togeter is a putz.Anyway nothing bad happened other than the inital fear of OMG WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY BIKE!! lol And with a little time and the toolkit I was able to get back on the road again but now I am gonna take it apart again and loctite that sucker in place and I suggest you all check yours to make sure it's good and snug it took awhile to work itself loose I now have 2750 miles on the bike so you may not notice it right away but from now on my pre-ride inspection will include checking this to make sure that never happens again. The nut you wanna check is the one i'm pointing at in pic.
Hope this is not an epidemic I don't see how it could be but anyway I just wanted to post up and let you all know about it.And to thank johnnycheese for answering his phone on a sunday
smile.gif

Jay

busas_009.jpg

YES, I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!!!
I got scared shitless when I went to shift and couldnt find it!!!
I had to pull over to the side of the road, pull out the kit and fix it (I retightened it with better tools when I got home). It sucked cause it was at night and I couln't see very well.
By the way, Also check to make sure all your fairing bolts are there... when I got my 05, it was missing a fairing bolt on the right, lower side of the fairing...
I'm thinking the mechanic's just a stupid putz...

...when I got my 05, it was missing a fairing bolt on the right, lower side of the fairing...
I'm thinking the mechanic's just a stupid putz...
I am sure someone else will back me here when It was posted about the new 04's that were missing the same bolt. People would read it, go out and look, only to discover THEY were missing the same bolt. It was decided that the mechanic was lazy etc. so you are NOT alone there.

Well mine was just snug, definately not my definition of tight. thanks again.

Anything else?
blush.gif

Is this a piece that is put together by the dealer mechanic though?

nope that is the factory that installes it. the dealer is NOT required to check it as part of the uncrate set up.
this is what you can real warranty problem. nothing to do with the dealership or mechanics.
Lay the blame where it is due

Also, my clutch assembly was fugged up when I go tthe bike... the engine wasnt "grabbing" the tranny... as if the clutch was engaged even though it was all the way out...

nope that is the factory that installes it. the dealer is NOT required to check it as part of the uncrate set up.
this is what you can real warranty problem. nothing to do with the dealership or mechanics.
Lay the blame where it is due
Correct - All sport bikes come complete - some need windscreen installed but thats about it.

Dealer checks axles,steering head ,tripple tree.

My 02 had the bolt backout for the speed sensor on the the sprocket , broke cover. (sh*t happens)

Pat

Also, my clutch assembly was fugged up when I go tthe bike... the engine wasnt "grabbing" the tranny... as if the clutch was engaged even though it was all the way out...
huh?  I am not sure what you mean.  Your clutch was slipping or?
I would turn on the bike, put it in 1st, then slowly let out the clutch and the bike would start moving. However, after FULLY releasing the clutch (taking my left hand off the handlebar), if I would twist the throttle ALL the way the bike would rev up to say 9,000rpms, but the bike would still be doing only like 20 mph... It felt as if I had the clutch pulled in and was reving up the bike.
When I returned to the dealership, the service guy was like "Ugh, who the Hell assembled this bike" and kinda blamed "someone else". Then he fixed something on the clutch lever and after about 5 minutes I was on my way.

I had the exact same problem on my 05 down here in GA. My buddy wizeguy had an issue with them assemblying the clutch lever wrong and not being able to shift, then they didn't have some relay so his bike was over heating big time. I thought it was just our dealer being retarded lol!!! Also, I now have a rattle in my front end when I hit a bump. Not at idle, and not at smooth running. I need to see if it is coming from the front end or down near the front wheel. It is really starting to worry me!!

the clutch and the brake lever is the dealers fault they install them and back in 99 after the first on fell off (brake) at our dealership we locktited the nuts ,I still do it on services to this day

Pre'Flight checks are a must with any bike, theres alot of vibrations going on in a bike, especially Hardleys! LOL!
biggrin.gif

Back