HID for HighBeam?

eynlai

Registered
I was discussing my options with BusaHaya last night about getting the HID set up. And we kind of brainstormed this idea, but I'm wondering if anyones done it yet and can give an opinion (with pic if possible).

* Order and mount the HID for the Highbeam? So this way, the low-beam and stay it's constant on, while at night with a flip of the high-beam switch... BAM! HID on? I would have to order the 9006 size instead of the H7 to do this, but this answers the question of the toggle switch. Question is: Since the highbeam bulb seems to be in a projector head, how would this affect the usability of the light? Too focus like a powerful spot light?

* Or order two HID kits, one for low and one for high. Would this be overkill?? I spoke with Boris from XenonKing and he gave me a pretty good deal for the paired order.

What do you guys think? Anyone tried one of the two possibles mention above? Pics?

Thanks

I have the HID low beam and am thinking of adding an HID high beam. Not for night time seeing, the HID low beam works great at night plus xeonking said the focus would be all screwed up on the high beam. I want the high beam HID for daytime visibility for cars. So basically I would run high beam during the day and low beam at night.

Nitrous junkie has HID in both low and high beams.

Thanks Charles. Nelson told me about the meeting this Friday at Hooters in Old Town Pasadena. Were you the one that made that announcement?

Nitrous Junkie,

Can you help with some pics so we can get an idea of your setup? And how is the visibility with just the Highbeam HID at night?

Nope, I'll be going on a ride up near San Luis Obispo;

It's an overnighter Friday night.

Well my .02 cents. HID in your low beam is the best bang for the buck. The light throw is 3x further and brighter than stock. There is a slight glare but on a motorcycle you need all you can get. Ref the highbeams. The busa highbeam has a 3" thick prefocused lens on the bottom light. It is "tuned" for a filiment type of light output. When you put HID in the highbeam you get a MASS amount of light I MEAN MASS amount of light out of it but the pattern is about shot and is pretty much worthless. You might email some of the people that have it for their opinion. Me.. I use my highbeam light alot. The HID takes a quick second to get up to temp and full brightness. Having to turn it off then back on for oncoming traffic would yield to be a headache as well. Again my less than knowing .02 cents but hope it helps. Also if you do decide to get the HID the low beam is H7 for the busa. Lastly 5k is more white than the others and has further throw of light. 6k is going towards more blue and shorter throw than 5k, 8K is very blue and even shorter, 10K is extremely blue and less throw than stock for distance. 5k-6K is what you want depending on look.

JD

Finally placed an order today for a pair of H7 for my low beam. One is for my co-worker in Costa Mesa on a 99 busa. I decided to just swap the wire for the highbeam with the low for the HID. So that way, the highbeam on the regular bulb will be the constant "on", and the highbeam switch on the clutch side will toggle off and on the lowbeam HID. I might have to do some wire splicing and retapping to do this so I don't have to go with a add-on switch. Wonder if anyone done this yet.

BusaHaya mounted his ballast in the inside of his right fairing, he mentioned some mounted on top of the air intake tube. I'm considering my options and was wondering anyone have pics to share of their mountings. No, not that "mounting"... Save that for those "adult" friendfinder sites
smile.gif
)

Or if someone can point me to the link with all the pics of the mountings, that would be great.

Nelson, who's throwing the meet at Hooters this Friday night at Old Town Pasadena? I think I'll make it. GF got some mid-terms coming up.

Come on, Icemann. Your 2 cents is always a silver dollar to me. Thanks for your input. Can you (or anyone) satisfy my latest brain scratcher? Hopefully with pics?

thanks

I suggest you take ICEMANs advice... he knows what he is talking
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|shenoyp
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113379714 -->

Here are a couple pics of NJ's HIDs.

<a href="https://www.hayabusa.org/cgi-bin/busa/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=11;t=21092;hl=group+buy%">NitrousJunkie's HID<a>

One other suggustion. The kit comes with "Double sided sticky tape" used to mount the ballast. If you look in the pics on the links above you can see how it was used. IM NOT A BIG FAN OF THIS PERIOD!!!. Again just my .02 cents.

Double sided sticky tape is a "GREAT INSULATOR" to seperate the ballast from it's mounting location to prevent any "static shock" or plain shock to the unit. The vibrations/bouncing and heat the motocycle sees on a given hot summer sunday will loosen that tape and drop it. I GUARREN DAYUM TEE YOU that if it falls it will be into the wheel or something less than gracefull. It never just falls off to the side and bounces. Ask Murphy all about his laws. "if it has a chance to fuk up and cause you mischief it will try it everytime!"

I would suggust you consider mounting the ballast to the slant portion of the "RAM AIR TUBE". place the bulb place and stretch the wires to locate the "GOOD SPOT". Get hoover #60 vacuum belts 2 in a pack for $2.00. They act as PERFECT TIGHT THICK/WIDE RUBBER BANDS. Temp mount the ballast and put the nose on ensuring clear passage/fit.

NOW USE THE DOUBLE SIDED STICKY TAPE/AND BANDS TO MOUNT BALLAST ON RAM TUBE.

From the back side of the nose section under the "DASHBOARD" there is a shelf that will hold the igniter perfectly above the bulb!.

Hope that helps out.
JD

Thanks Charles.  Nelson told me about the meeting this Friday at Hooters in Old Town Pasadena.  Were you the one that made that announcement?

Nitrous Junkie,

Can you help with some pics so we can get an idea of your setup?  And how is the visibility with just the Highbeam HID at night?
Here's My 2 cents, I did this mod in hopes that it would make me more visible in the daytime, it does and I'm happy,It totally rocks at night, You can see me coming for miles with just the dims, flick the brights on and its daytime!  The light is pure white with maybe a slight purplish tint. The beams in my opinion are focused correct,( the light is not just everywhere) Over kill, NOT!!!! I cant just use the brights as I didnt add a toggle switch like some have, I'm quite happy with the factory wiring configuration.If you do the HID conversion, you will not be sorry, do them both or you'll have and odd colored high beam at night.Heres a couple of pics at night.... NJ.

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113406925 -->

DSCI0003.JPG

One other suggustion.  The kit comes with "Double sided sticky tape" used to mount the ballast.  If you look in the pics on the links above you can see how it was used.  IM NOT A BIG FAN OF THIS PERIOD!!!.  Again just my .02 cents.

I would suggust you consider mounting the ballast to the slant portion of the "RAM AIR TUBE".  place the bulb place and stretch the wires to locate the "GOOD SPOT". From the back side of the nose section under the "DASHBOARD" there is a shelf that will hold the igniter perfectly above the bulb!.

Hope that helps out.
JD
1st
The box is mounted with zip ties, its not going anywhere.  And the double sided tape is there to prevent it from rattling around against the fairing, I hate rattling noises.

2nd
Ever notice how hot it gets near the ram air tube, very hot!  That's why Nelson and I chose the nose fairing, much cooler in there.

3rd
The box supplied by Xenonking will not fit on the shelf on top of instrument cluster.

Not saying my way is better for everyone, but it was better for me and Nelson.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113408641 -->

Charlesbusa, actually I got off the phone last night with Nelson. He and I will be meeting up this Friday night at Hooters in Old Town Pasadena. If I get my HID before then, I might throw it in my backpack and ride up there with it. We might put it on there. Don't know who else is coming but he and I will be meeting up there.

Thanks Charlesbusa, I wasnt aware the xenonking "IGNITER" was that large not to fit on the shelf. Couldnt make out the Zip ties. Man I love those things. Zip tie guy's gotta be a millionaire by now.

JD

It just came in UPS about 2 hours ago.

I spoke with Nelson, aka busahaya, and from my description of it, he thinks I got something different from what you guys got. I ordered the H7, 5000K.

Here's a few pics. One is with a OEM H7 bulb to scale the base of the HID bulb.

Is this different?

Boris at XenonKing told me at the time of order that they're shipping out Generation 5 of the ballast now. Don't know if that means there's changes to the bulb assembly itself too.

What do you guys think?

Photo_041405_001.jpg

Back