Cam and tappet issues.

grabntwist

The one who started it all
Donating Member
Registered
I just noticed the valve train got a bit noisy so I pulled it apart to find this. .. Its the lobe nearest the cam chain on the exhaust side.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113156850 -->

exlobe_1.JPG

Here are the coresponding tappets. The one on the lower right is from the exhaust cam (first pic posted) the one on the lower left is from the intake side and the two above represent what the others look like.

Now here's my big question.. The cam chain was fine, and the valves were not too far outta whack with the exception of the one exhaust valve. Why wouldn't they equally be damaged? Also do I have to get new cam's or can I get them re-surfaced. They are not stock Suzi cams they're Carpenters' grind from megacycle.

Also keep in mind that there was good oil flow and to the head and fresh oil always ran in it.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1113237279 -->

tappets.JPG

Material incompatability ... the cam surface is harder than the follower... not to scare you but, where is all of the worn off material at?

It is tuff to see from your picture of the cam but it appears that the grind of the cam might be off. What I see is that the cam lobe lifter wear extends all the way to the sharp edge of the cam so that when the cam rotates the lifter, the sharp edge of the cam cuts throught the oil and wears out the lifter ... If Johnny Cheese reads this, correct me if I am wrong please...

Material incompatability ... the cam surface is harder than the follower... not to scare you but, where is all of the worn off material at?

It is tuff to see from your picture of the cam but it appears that the grind of the cam might be off. What I see is that the cam lobe lifter wear extends all the way to the sharp edge of the cam so that when the cam rotates the lifter, the sharp edge of the cam cuts throught the oil and wears out the lifter ... If Johnny Cheese reads this, correct me if I am wrong please...
Not so sure of that yet. These were not just installed. It's been 2 years and about 6500 -7000 miles since. It just got noisy so that leads me to believe that this was not something that happened over time. I'll head over to Carpenters shop 2 morrow to see what my options are. Thanks for your advice.

I thought Bob used Megacycles cams?
are they the 395's Webb's if so there were a batch that the hardness wasn't up to spec. and did the same thing but they still won't admit it

BAD CAMS...the heat treat on them is wrong. The only other thing that would cause that is oil starvation.

GNT....   what was the out come of the visit?

PJ
UU, I got a new set of cams coming from mega cycle that were inspected and not just off the shelf. Im hoping to get them 2morow or Friday at the latest. Other than that it just has to get put back together broken in and ran on the dyno.

TruckRacer, I run Mobil 1 15-50 (redcap). I will start running 10-30 as recommended by Suzuki and Carpenter Race Engines.

will start running 10-30 as recommended by Suzuki and Carpenter Race Engines.
10-30...  you sure G-man,  not 10-40 ?
Rubster, how ya been dude. I might even go 10-40. I know many board members including myself use the 15-50 with no problems. Im definitly not starting a pissing match but if ya give it some thought.. the Busa motor doesen't need oil to "coat" as much as it needs oil to "flow" through out the mill. I figure the engineers a Suzuk' may know a thing or two more than I. Anyway, gimme a shout man. After all ya got a piece of my bike ridin' round' with ya.

Seen it a bunch on small block chevys Losing a lobe on the cam wears out lifter and yes it can happen very quickly. Happened on a 81 corvette I had from the time I left the house till I got to work 15 miles, starts backfiring through the carbs/throttle bodies Right? and yes it can happen on one lobe only. On v-8 pretty much a complete rebuild. not sure on bikes I'd figure pretty much the same.

Bikes are a bit easier in the labor since all is up top. Just replace the cams and all tappets to be sure check everything else thats involved-- cam chain/tensioner adjust the vavles and put it all back together.

First impression is defective camshaft. Even out of warranty, I'd check into getting a replacement. Heh get the camshaft first then fight over the money latter
biggrin.gif

will start running 10-30 as recommended by Suzuki and Carpenter Race Engines.
10-30...  you sure G-man,  not 10-40 ?
Rubster, how ya been dude. I might even go 10-40. I know many board members including myself use the 15-50 with no problems. Im definitly not starting a pissing match but if ya give it some thought.. the Busa motor doesen't  need oil to "coat" as much as it needs oil to "flow" through out the mill. I figure the engineers a Suzuk' may know a thing or two more than I. Anyway, gimme a shout man. After all ya got a piece of my bike ridin' round' with ya.
yer the fast man Grabber... I'm just the poser man.

hell...I still run stock exhaust.

GNT....   what was the out come of the visit?

PJ
UU, I got a new set of cams coming from mega cycle that were inspected and not just off the shelf. Im hoping to get them 2morow or Friday at the latest. Other than that it just has to get put back together broken in and ran on the dyno.

TruckRacer, I run Mobil 1 15-50 (redcap). I will start running 10-30 as recommended by Suzuki and Carpenter Race Engines.
Lots of folks run the Mobil 1 15-50 with no problems..myself included.
wow.gif

Must have been a bad lobe or follower.

Back