Steering Stem Locknut Removal Tool

SSGT_B

Registered
As I seem to be search incompetent today, have had no pie...lol. How are y’all getting this lockout removed? I’ve tried the screwdriver and brass punch method to no avail. Hoping to order some head bearings soon but stuck here. Thanks

Very cool Jerry, ya sacrificed a nice 32 mm socket there mate, but it got the job done!
Here’s a tip... if any threaded faster or lock ring such as this one is stubborn to loosen, spray with a good penetrating lube first, then leave it and come back later.
It surprised me it would not let go with the brass punch though, I would’ve ground an angled profile to the end of the punch so it’s square on to the lock ring’s tab that you are punching, avoiding burring the tab over, as you have done there.
At work I use a “C” spanner, I have a few different sizes to choose from til I get the proper fit on the lock ring.
There is also an adjustable C Spanner, bit like a shifter.

Last edited:
Very cool Jerry, ya sacrificed a nice 32 mm socket there mate, but it got the job done!
Here’s a tip... if any threaded faster or lock ring such as this one is stubborn to loosen, spray with a good penetrating lube first, then leave it and come back later.
It surprised me it would not let go with the brass punch though, I would’ve ground an angled profile to the end of the punch so it’s square on to the lock ring’s tab that you are punching, avoiding burring the tab over, as you have done there.
At work I use a “C” spanner, I have a few different sizes to choose from til I get the proper fit on the lock ring.
There is also an adjustable C Spanner, bit like a shifter.

I was a bit surprised it wouldn’t let go either. Didn’t even think to soak in oil. Luckily for the socket, I had an extra on laying around. Now I have to figure how to suspend the bike to get the tree out for service. Thought about building a “cradle” mounted over the framesliders but haven’t got there yet.

I was a bit surprised it wouldn’t let go either. Didn’t even think to soak in oil. Luckily for the socket, I had an extra on laying around. Now I have to figure how to suspend the bike to get the tree out for service. Thought about building a “cradle” mounted over the framesliders but haven’t got there yet.

When I did my swingarm, I had it suspended, (only the tail section) from a A-frame ladder with 4 ratchet straps and a chain as insurance. Stayed like that for a month.

When I did my swingarm, I had it suspended, (only the tail section) from a A-frame ladder with 4 ratchet straps and a chain as insurance. Stayed like that for a month.
Good idea...I've used a block and tackle suspended from a ceiling plate I made in the garage before but never thought of a ladder...

or if you wannna save some money
take a 30mm hex
the one-hand grinder
a coarse file / rasp
and cut/rasp your hex nut yourself

i did this work for the tools for the RH frame nuts (30´, 27´ and 17´)
see example pics here at my page

Back