'99 Gen 1 DIY Fuel System Check and Maintenance

I use this inline filter every 7500 kms with oil change , buy it from VAG / Audi dealer cost $10

Example petcock lock tool

Last edited:
I've been meaning to check it over for awhile now, but today during my ride I had a lean surge at cruise speeds of between 120kmh and 140kmh.

Kiwi I have this identical problem with the VFR on side streets at exactly 37-38 mph (indicated, actual perhaps 33 mph). Since I did not own it new I had no perspective and assumed that it was intentionally lean for emissions requirements. Now, I am unclear on the fuel maintenance that my guys may have done, and this may have been cleaned. But before I play with the fuel map this will be the first item to look at with the upcoming maintenance. The bike is a '99 as well and was neglected, and it has similar years to your bike, so the stars are aligning here on the possibilities.

Kiwi I have this identical problem with the VFR on side streets at exactly 37-38 mph (indicated, actual perhaps 33 mph). Since I did not own it new I had no perspective and assumed that it was intentionally lean for emissions requirements. Now, I am unclear on the fuel maintenance that my guys may have done, and this may have been cleaned. But before I play with the fuel map this will be the first item to look at with the upcoming maintenance. The bike is a '99 as well and was neglected, and it has similar years to your bike, so the stars are aligning here on the possibilities.
Good call on prioritising clean and check of the fuel system BEFORE altering your fuel map, it’s a common issue where it’s all too easy to rush into the fuel mapping tweak instead of starting at the start by looking at the basic mechanical components of the fuel system, as they say ‘to assume makes an “ass” out of “u” and “me” !

Back