Slip on's?

Jvance22

Registered
I want to throw some slip ons and get rid of my grapefruit shooters. Do I need to get a tune or flash ecu when I do this? Or is it ok just to do the slip ons? It looks like I would not be deleting the cat just by replacing those, but I am not sure. What's the word on this?

Thanks in advance

20190323_072815.jpg

Very nice shot of your bike!
Here's a tip . . .
If you decrease exhaust resistance with a high flow muffler (getting rid of baffles and smaller diameter piping in stock muffler) it will de-restrict exhaust flow, that's good . . . so . .
1) it is beneficial to also de-restrict intake airflow to match the exhaust with a high flow air filter,
2) with better airflow the air to fuel ratio needs to be addressed to keep that at an optimal ratio. (tuning)
3) The best thing you can do to your bike after these mods is to have it dyno tuned, with a Power Commander (fuel controller) fitted in line with the bike's computer (ECU) to facilitate this action,
But, as Mr Brown correctly stated you can simply add a slip on exhaust without doing any other mods (tuning) no problem.
But if you wanna really sharpen things up, follow the steps above :thumbsup:

I installed a set of Brocks slip ons, and did the marble mod on my '07. I had it serviced at a trusted shop, fork seals & oil, tune up, valve check, etc., they recommended a dyno run to check A/F ratio, $75. They installed a K&N air filter and ran it on the dyno. They were surprised to find the A/F ratio to be very good, and said a Power Commander would not be necessary. They said they rarely see that happen, I got lucky! Saved a lot of money not installing the Power Commander first, and then tuning!

I installed a set of Brocks slip ons, and did the marble mod on my '07. I had it serviced at a trusted shop, fork seals & oil, tune up, valve check, etc., they recommended a dyno run to check A/F ratio, $75. They installed a K&N air filter and ran it on the dyno. They were surprised to find the A/F ratio to be very good, and said a Power Commander would not be necessary. They said they rarely see that happen, I got lucky! Saved a lot of money not installing the Power Commander first, and then tuning!
With slip ons that's exactly what happens all the time. There's nothing "lucky" about it. They may have thought you installed a full system...

Hi. I have seen a 100% stock motor that was ran wide open for a few miles it ran so lean that the #3 piston had a hole in it. So if you really want to take that chance go a head run it without the tune it is your motor do what you want save that $75 to $150 bucks
A bone stock bike, or stock motor? Adding a full exhaust requires changes, adding slip ons doesn't. If the bike you're talking about was bone stock, it had something wrong with it to begin with.

the stock ECU can adjust for small changes like slip ons. The filter might be more of an issue given how lean these bikes are delivered. As long as your O2 sensor is in place, the slip ons are not a problem. As has been said. But changing the filter is a big deal IMHO. I think people under estimate this change.

I don't doubt you, but that bike must have had an issue...
Hi. No bike was one owner with a little over 2000 miles. It was 1978. The bike was a 1978 bough in the spring. It was midsummer. It happened Friday night I picked the bike up at 3 AM on RT 195. I had it back to him Sunday.
I don't doubt you, but that bike must have had an issue...

the stock ECU can adjust for small changes like slip ons. The filter might be more of an issue given how lean these bikes are delivered. As long as your O2 sensor is in place, the slip ons are not a problem. As has been said. But changing the filter is a big deal IMHO. I think people under estimate this change.
On a Gen 2, yes. Gen 1 has no such sensor. As far as a filter, I don't know enough about how much more an aftermarket would flow, but you may be right.

Arch so you saying with aftermarket slip ons and aftermarket air filter the gen 2 run leaner than normal ? :thumbsup:

I'm told by my tuner that a high flow filter can push a lean map too lean. Whether or not it can cause a melted piston or not, who knows? Personally, I don't get going to a race filter with a stock header. You're not going to get much benefit from the filter with the pipe plugging the air moving through the engine. A stock bike can benefit from a Dyno to, mine certainly did. However the most improvement was down low in the rpms where the stupid lean OEM tune was causing flat spots and I actually lost some hp on top.

I started with Yoshimura R77's slip ons on my 09. I rode it like that for 6 months without a tune or anything and all was fine. If I was doing it all over again, I would have gone to the full exhaust from the start. Mainly because of these factors:

1. Since there are 2 cans on the stock bike, the slip ons cost almost as much as a full system. In the case of Yoshi, it's the exact same can, just one of them on the full system. The Yoshi full system in SS was actually $50 less than the R77 slipons! BTW most won't sell the full system without the cans. But keep your eyes open and a used full system will pop up. An exhaust is just tubes, if it looks ok it probably is.
2. The full system sounds 1000% better than the slip ons. At full tilt, you will wet your pants!
3. The engine feels opened up and revs better with the full system. Very big difference.
4. With a full exhaust, race filter, and tune you can get 10 hp or more. With the slip ons probably nothing at all performance wise.
5. Many prefer the balanced look of the dual cans. I like the easy access to the chain for cleaning and lube you get with the single can.
6. One can is lighter, so the weight loss is even more over OEM.

I think you were getting good advice in this thread. I stuck my big mouth in here to make it clear if you are adding slip ons stop with that. No filter. Tune it if you want but this mod is only about looks and requires nothing more than putting on the new cans. If you want to go to the next step (full exhaust and filter) you have to tune it.

I'm told by my tuner that a high flow filter can push a lean map too lean. Whether or not it can cause a melted piston or not, who knows? Personally, I don't get going to a race filter with a stock header. You're not going to get much benefit from the filter with the pipe plugging the air moving through the engine. A stock bike can benefit from a Dyno to, mine certainly did. However the most improvement was down low in the rpms where the stupid lean OEM tune was causing flat spots and I actually lost some hp on top.

I started with Yoshimura R77's slip ons on my 09. I rode it like that for 6 months without a tune or anything and all was fine. If I was doing it all over again, I would have gone to the full exhaust from the start. Mainly because of these factors:

1. Since there are 2 cans on the stock bike, the slip ons cost almost as much as a full system. In the case of Yoshi, it's the exact same can, just one of them on the full system. The Yoshi full system in SS was actually $50 less than the R77 slipons! BTW most won't sell the full system without the cans. But keep your eyes open and a used full system will pop up. An exhaust is just tubes, if it looks ok it probably is.
2. The full system sounds 1000% better than the slip ons. At full tilt, you will wet your pants!
3. The engine feels opened up and revs better with the full system. Very big difference.
4. With a full exhaust, race filter, and tune you can get 10 hp or more. With the slip ons probably nothing at all performance wise.
5. Many prefer the balanced look of the dual cans. I like the easy access to the chain for cleaning and lube you get with the single can.
6. One can is lighter, so the weight loss is even more over OEM.

I think you were getting good advice in this thread. I stuck my big mouth in here to make it clear if you are adding slip ons stop with that. No filter. Tune it if you want but this mod is only about looks and requires nothing more than putting on the new cans. If you want to go to the next step (full exhaust and filter) you have to tune it.

Awesome description - :)
My favorite part: "At full tilt, you will wet your pants! " - Time for a full system me thinks..

Back