Not a good Friday night...

You probably picked up a stone to radiator. Do you have gaurds on?

The bottom half of the oil cooler and inner fairings have telltale green liquid. Oil cooler fairly heavy coating.
I'm thinking you're right about a stone.

The bottom half of the oil cooler and inner fairings have telltale green liquid. Oil cooler fairly heavy coating.
I'm thinking you're right about a stone.

The bottom of pretty much everything will have coolant residue but where on the bike is the highest sign of coolant?

The bottom of pretty much everything will have coolant residue but where on the bike is the highest sign of coolant?

As far as I can see, the highest point is 3/4 the way up the oil cooler.
Inner fairings is down low. And I can't see any signs of coolant streaking.
Overflow bottle bone dry and empty.
Pulled the radiator off earlier to take in for pressure test and still about 1/3 full.
Remaining liquid is still bright green and no off colour or dark streaks

I'm hoping it's just a dodgy thermostat .... really hoping :)

I’m thinking about one for this massive unit on the front of my new Z. I’ve had good luck on the Busa for 63,000+ miles but this one is right out there and all it takes is one little rock.:confused:

Funny looking at your Pic (beautiful BTW) the rear disc is as big as the single disc was on my Z1 900 in 75.
I took care of that real quick! (along with some Morris Mags)

As far as I can see, the highest point is 3/4 the way up the oil cooler.
Inner fairings is down low. And I can't see any signs of coolant streaking.
Overflow bottle bone dry and empty.
Pulled the radiator off earlier to take in for pressure test and still about 1/3 full.
Remaining liquid is still bright green and no off colour or dark streaks

I'm hoping it's just a dodgy thermostat .... really hoping :)
I would start with inspecting the thermostat for any damage possibly from installing the fairing sometimes the rubber cover can get mashed if not mindful. Did the fan ever come on when you were riding? Did it overflow as soon as you stopped like at a light or some place? When you are moving that bike will flow enough air to stay ok until you stop then out the over flow. Lastly what type of coolant was that get the blue ice stuff that will drop the temp 20 degrees lower, don't use car antifreeze not going to work right. The bigger blow off cap is just extra insurance but gave me some peace of mind. Now consider the 160 thermostat from Schintz the stock comes on at 220 for factory emissions #'s. I would do all the above anyway but C-10 does know his stuff & is most likely spot on!

Photos of when I installed mine . Also this carbon fiber fenda extender weighs nothing , and keeps things clean . I can no longer use the fenda extenda if you like it I'll mail it to you .

DSC00007_zpsixnd4h3w.jpg

DSC00011_zpsw3ajzr4f.jpg

DSCN0653_zpsxco8ffhf.jpg

DSCN0516_zpsrn4yxkho.jpg

DSCN0517_zps6nhmhtlc.jpg

DSCN0515_zpsvrzbvdoe.jpg

DSCN0514_zps0ftefj2u.jpg

DSCN0513_zpstif5gk9u.jpg

DSCN0510_zpsgsupyxee.jpg

DSCN0509_zpsvzoaa726.jpg

I would start with inspecting the thermostat for any damage possibly from installing the fairing sometimes the rubber cover can get mashed if not mindful. Did the fan ever come on when you were riding? Did it overflow as soon as you stopped like at a light or some place? When you are moving that bike will flow enough air to stay ok until you stop then out the over flow. Lastly what type of coolant was that get the blue ice stuff that will drop the temp 20 degrees lower, don't use car antifreeze not going to work right. The bigger blow off cap is just extra insurance but gave me some peace of mind. Now consider the 160 thermostat from Schintz the stock comes on at 220 for factory emissions #'s. I would do all the above anyway but C-10 does know his stuff & is most likely spot on!

Thanks for the info - much appreciated.
I have ordered a new thermostat and will see how it all looks once I get it. As summer gets going, I may consider the 160 thermostat. Also getting the ecu flashed to bring the fans on early.
It was as soon as I pulled over after noticing the temp gauge had shot up and warning light on. When I stopped and jumped off was when the leakage occurred as far as I can tell.
And I am not sure if the fans were on when riding. I will order a new temp switch I think just to be sure.
I'll have to do some searching to see if I can find the "blue ice" stuff here in Aust.

Before changing out the coolant that the manufacturer recommends take a look at what Blue Ice or Water Wetter contains or doesn’t, to see if it lubricates the water pump and inhibits rust like coolant does. Some don’t and are meant for race tracks not ‘street’ engine longevity.

They are Cox gaurds. The Honda coolant is for all power sports from atv to motorcycle.
It is long life works great and does not break the bank. Dark blue. In color.

Awesome. Thanks.
Added to my shopping list

Reactions: c10
Back