Rim Tape (Vinyl Decal) Experiences and Recommendations

jeffgordons24

Registered
Searched in the forum but could not find anyone with feedback for the rim tape installation ETC,
So my original plan for my rims was to go with a Deep silver metallic in the centers with a blue to match the bike on the lip. I realized that My swingarm I am going to powder coat black and my front fender will be replaced with a Carbon Fiber one along with my chain guard and my belly pan. I came across a set of rims already powdercoated in my blue on ebay for $350.00 and for that price it does not even justify me taking the time to remove my rear rim, strip and bead blast it and powder coat it.
I already had a replacement front rim since mine is bent, I am figuring Ill Powder Coat that rim to match the factory back and sell them for $200 for the pair.

Now what I want is a deep vinyl that will wrap deeper into the lip of the rim and I found one on ebay that I liked. My concern is how difficult is this to install??? I have no clue. I plan to install on the rims before mounting the wheels on the bike so that may help (or maybe not)

Any feedback guys? And sorry if this was covered elsewhere, I for certain couldnt find it.

The rims I ordered

18F8E04F-9146-451A-B598-32E8CE42D881.jpeg

D3EF6767-51A5-4469-A780-FC8813C356DD.jpeg

Before install wipe them down a few times and make sure absolutely nothing is on the rims prior to install. Any type of residue will mess with the adhesive and they will come off a lot easier and won’t last over time

You are right to install tape with rim off, makes the job much simpler. After cleaning very well, also use alcohol. Some kits also come with adhesive promoter, you can also purchase separately.

Before install wipe them down a few times and make sure absolutely nothing is on the rims prior to install. Any type of residue will mess with the adhesive and they will come off a lot easier and won’t last over time
I have this prepsol stuff at the shop but I don’t know if I trust putting that in the powder coat Ill just go hot and heavy on the alcohol lol

You are right to install tape with rim off, makes the job much simpler. After cleaning very well, also use alcohol. Some kits also come with adhesive promoter, you can also purchase separately.

Yes apply the tape to the rims while they are off the bike. Make sure your applying it when the rims are @ room temperature. If they are cold that could also inhibit the adhesive to fully stick

Yes apply the tape to the rims while they are off the bike. Make sure your applying it when the rims are @ room temperature. If they are cold that could also inhibit the adhesive to fully stick
Okay I will let the rims sleep in my office a few nights and get em toasty roasty lol . I still have to order the silver striping tomorrow. I wish they had a darker option but I think it will still look good.

2EB5A5CA-D785-4F08-8028-0CF13237CC9E.jpeg

Okay so rims arrived, let them spend the day in my office with the heat on 80 lol.
Did one side it came out well. I’m very picky but I know once the tire is mounted and rims on the bike it will look very good.
They applied pretty easily I used a lot of alcohol on my hands and the rim and dug right in.

I like the idea that I can always replace the decals if they wear and it kind of protects the rim from scratches and scuffs. The stuff is a lot thinner than I thought it would be. It actually feels like more of a tape and less of a vinyl. Guess that’s why they call it rim tape.

987AE07A-0055-4B3C-BCF3-E9FA8A90C639.jpeg

5B44F689-23F0-45B8-BEB6-0445F6CB933A.jpeg

A4EE4470-000A-4DB1-9BF4-E08B79D5C6D9.jpeg

D72FAFC1-5106-4252-B754-05EEA39FB029.jpeg

38D17A58-E08C-48C8-860F-AB5FBFBD689C.jpeg

CB1D3A44-8FEC-45F4-9AAC-248B8D00B909.jpeg

CCEE202A-94C8-4FD2-99C0-ADC6817A3688.jpeg

A2A22F16-CAFF-4248-9FB3-EE16A28AF310.jpeg

A04E650D-0313-4B51-8C33-2DBDA7D4A022.jpeg

D81B9207-C22A-4A60-A963-DBA808FF8250.jpeg

Is freezing up there and you can’t ride, should have plenty of time to throw some rotors and tires on it, while drinking hot chocolate. We are waiting man! :hide::rofl:

LOL yea, as much as I would love to have new sexy rotors those are not exactly in my budget. I am going to move over my stockers and save up for some pretty ones.
I did purchase a swingarm from a member here so that will be going on in the upcoming weeks after I powder coat it.
It will be cold for a WHILE! So I am taking my time, I want to get everything right.

That looks good!
Thank you!!, I cant wait to have it on the bike...My plan is to get everything that crosses the lower portion of the bike black or a dark shade (carbon fiber). I am going to do black brake line, black chain, black swingarm, carbon belly pan, carbon front fender. I think with the silver and blue rims it will pop. I have alot of blue accents all over the bike I dont want to over do it and make it gaudy.

Thank you!!, I cant wait to have it on the bike...My plan is to get everything that crosses the lower portion of the bike black or a dark shade (carbon fiber). I am going to do black brake line, black chain, black swingarm, carbon belly pan, carbon front fender. I think with the silver and blue rims it will pop. I have alot of blue accents all over the bike I dont want to over do it and make it gaudy.
Less is more.

Back