My '99 Busa Led Headlamp Conversion

Hi , just a heads up on the new WOF regulations surrounding LED bulbs. Unless it's a factory installation and comes out with LED bulbs in headlight then good chance it will be failed on compliance of wof
Roger that Mike, I'm a WoF inspector so I'm up to speed on that guff, remember the WOF is for the day it was inspected, anything can happen after that . . .

Install was easy. It has a great pattern that is even across the ground but the brilliance isnt what I thought it would be.

This is a pic I took this morning. Shows the diode placement inside the housing. Also shows the glare to oncoming drivers is minimal. The pattern on the road is great. I do send light up towards the trees but not bad. The brilliance is not what I'd like it to be. If I had the brilliance of HIDs with the light pattern of the LEDs, I'd be all over it.

20180919_093557.jpg

Will you take some night time pics when you get a chance?
There's an old gen2 post here somewhere that shows the headlight cut in half, high and low beam, and it allowed independent adjustment of the high and low beam, instead of together when stock.
Looked pretty simple too.

Will you take some night time pics when you get a chance?
There's an old gen2 post here somewhere that shows the headlight cut in half, high and low beam, and it allowed independent adjustment of the high and low beam, instead of together when stock.
Looked pretty simple too.

I'll get some tonight.

Here's one of the videos I watched while figuring out if I wanted to do the switch. Maybe it can help someone out.

I haven't forgotten about getting pics. Between work and my dad's health, I've been tied up. Also having issues finding a dark lot to be able to show it better.

@sixpack577

Here are the night shots of my LED low beam. The picture shows it immensely brighter than it actually is but also shows the light pattern well. One pic is the light shining into my neighbor's yard that is normally unlit at night.

I'm going to aim the low beam down a little to give more light immediately in front of me.

20181030_215734.jpg

20181030_215619.jpg

LED's just don't do a good job of throwing light down the road in the visible spectrum. Even though they light up reflective material at great distance, they just don't cut it for me. Too easy to outride or outdrive your headlights. Love them for in town, but out on the highway, even at non-ridiculous speeds, they just aren't enough for me. As you said, LED pattern with HID brilliance would be the shiznit.

That's where my high beam comes in. It does well for me. Eventually, I'll replace my high beam with an LED and at some point add lower driving lights.

Gotcha. I've found silverstar ultras to give the best incandescent light, with good distance.

I'm going to buy a broken headlamp for a Gen 2 and see if I can reverse the high beam cut off plate. That will provide more power light while still giving plenty of cut off for distance.

I'm going to buy a broken headlamp for a Gen 2 and see if I can reverse the high beam cut off plate. That will provide more power light while still giving plenty of cut off for distance.

If your going to do all that might as well retrofit. Also you wouldnt be able to rotate it, but you could remove the cutoff so you would get more light lower.

Back