Street comfortable performance upgrades

Does anyone know which OEM cams are best for the Gen2 ? ie, are the cams from the '99 model going to fit straight into a Gen2 without issues ? From what I understand the 99 model was the the fastest stock Busa.... Or getting a set of Stage 1's would be any better ?

Thanks in advance, Sass

I'll let a professional engine builder give you the best cam advice.
Someone like POWERHOUSE.

The only reason the 99 and 2000 model are considered the fastest is because they did not have a factory top speed limiter.
Under perfect conditions a 99-00 is capable of 194mph. The 01-07(as well as the gen2 08-15, and all other japanese sportbikes made after 2000)are electronically limited to 186mph. Italian, German, and other bike manufacturers don't follow the 300kmph limit(BMW's SR1k claims 192mph).
The 186mph/300kmph limit was a "Gentleman's agreement" for the 01 model year and after between the big 4 Japanese manufacturers. That they would no longer make a bike capable of going faster than 300kmph. So that governments wouldn't get involved and impose legal restrictions.
There are only minor changes/improvements between the gen1 years, they are ecu, igniton, subframe, and fuel pump upgrades, otherwise they are basically all the same.
The 99-00 are the same, the 2001 has some changes, and the 02-07 are the same. The 99-01 ecu(and supporting parts) can be upgraded to the 02-07. The 02-07 can also have their electronic limiters removed(ecu flashed).
The engines and the rest of the bike are mechanically the same.

This is awesome. I am surprised you didnt get more power out of just the motor. I spoke the same guy about doing my busa motor. Nice work man. Love te bike

Thanks

Yeah initially I thought it was gonna make more power to but once i sat down with Steve and he explained everything in detail and broke it down I see how dyno numbers can be manipulated..... Depending on the ambient temperature , the type of dyno, hell even the tire used while on the dyno can add or take away 10+ HP. I've never been too wrapped up in playing the #'s game and once I actually was able to get it home and ride it i was more than satisfied and don't see how or why I would need more than this for the street.

that makes sense. the numbers game isnt important. its all about how it runs. I still have a fully stock motor and am looking forward to doing something quite similar. your build is inspiring and shows it can be done on a budget and at intervals over time. thanks for the detailed thread.

That makes sense .

The numbers game is not important .

It is all about how it runs .

I still have a fully stock motor
and am looking forward
to doing something
quite similar .

Your build is inspiring and shows
it can be done on a budget
and at intervals over time .

Thanks for the detailed thread .

Yes, I'm reviving an old thread.... How is the fuel pump holding up? I'm thinking of upgrading my pump and injectors as I am debating a little NOS. The S2000 injectors make me crazy. There are so many different ones. I was looking at some, but read several threads where even the manufacturer can't tell the flow just by looking at the injectors. Just starting my research, but found your thread.

Don't do the s2000 injectors. I bought a set and ended up not being the correct ones. Now they sit in my toolbox. I bought injectors from powerhouse for my 1397. Also did a bosch drop in fuel pump. 69420? I think that was the part number. Spray my bike now on 110 pump fuel with a spray bar using a .28 jet. I am only at 60 percent duty cycle.

Yes, I'm reviving an old thread.... How is the fuel pump holding up? I'm thinking of upgrading my pump and injectors as I am debating a little NOS. The S2000 injectors make me crazy. There are so many different ones. I was looking at some, but read several threads where even the manufacturer can't tell the flow just by looking at the injectors. Just starting my research, but found your thread.

My threads aren’t “Old” they are VINTAGE..... like a fine wine they just get better with age :beerchug:

Fuel pump is still running like a champ! The S2000 injectors are tricky because there was a craze for em a few years ago so they were super expensive and hard to come bye. I managed to snipe a deal on eBay for a Legit set. They were verified and flow tested. Not too long after knockoffs started flooding the market. I forget how you tell the real from the fake? Just like the Bosch fuel pumps there are a lot of knockoffs so you really gotta do your research and know who your buying from.

Yeah I just finished up with the R1 wheel mod. Shaved about 3pounds off each wheel with the R1 rims. My bike feels so much lighter now and more agile its ridiculous! Crazy how 6pounds makes that much of a diff. My mechanic wastrying to explain how for every lb. Less below the axle helps with something to do with the centrifical force of the wheel etc. Anyways haha I thought about the gen2 crank but I'm trying to get my top end figured out 1st which is why I was asking about what kind of valves and springs to run with those yoshi cams
1busa; I went back to this post to ask my question...Here you describe the dif going from stock to the R1 wheels, sounds good for the money, but I haven't seen any comment on going R1 to the CF wheels. Was there a notable difference OR was the R1 wheels the best "Bang for the Buck" deal going?
Thanks for you thoughts on this.

Don't do the s2000 injectors. I bought a set and ended up not being the correct ones. Now they sit in my toolbox. I bought injectors from powerhouse for my 1397. Also did a bosch drop in fuel pump. 69420? I think that was the part number. Spray my bike now on 110 pump fuel with a spray bar using a .28 jet. I am only at 60 percent duty cycle.
Where do you get pump 110 from?

1busa; I went back to this post to ask my question...Here you describe the dif going from stock to the R1 wheels, sounds good for the money, but I haven't seen any comment on going R1 to the CF wheels. Was there a notable difference OR was the R1 wheels the best "Bang for the Buck" deal going?
Thanks for you thoughts on this.

The R1 wheel swap is a major upgrade from stock. I thought these were the “Bees Knees”......

That was until 3 minutes down the road on my freshly mounted BST’s I felt a night and day difference from the R1 wheels!!!:race::shocked:

So budget wise the R1’s do the trick but if you got the $$$ to burn and are looking for your Busa to handle like no other BST’s are the way to go

My build was years in the making and I constantly tried to lighten and improve it. the mods I’ve done and suspension upgrades brought me to a point where I thought this was as good as it wasn’t gonna get. Then I put on the BST’s and was surprised how noticeable my bike handled

The R1 wheel swap is a major upgrade from stock. I thought these were the “Bees Knees”......

That was until 3 minutes down the road on my freshly mounted BST’s I felt a night and day difference from the R1 wheels!!!:race::shocked:

So budget wise the R1’s do the trick but if you got the $$$ to burn and are looking for your Busa to handle like no other BST’s are the way to go

My build was years in the making and I constantly tried to lighten and improve it. the mods I’ve done and suspension upgrades brought me to a point where I thought this was as good as it wasn’t gonna get. Then I put on the BST’s and was surprised how noticeable my bike handled
Wow that's interesting, so at least as much improvement again? Must be just incredible from stock direct to BSTs. :thumbsup:
And thanks for the reply #1

I live in MN and in the twin Cities we have like 10 gas station's that have race gas at the pump. You can drive or ride there and fill your gas tank up. It's the same price as if you bought it in a 5 gallon or 55 gallon drum.
Can you provide a link? I'm curious to see what it actually is.

Back