Engine is out.

Torqued everything down last night, installed the front sprocket and cover. Today I'm going to get the throttle body and gas tank back on. Lots of electrical stuff to plug in. I'll try to get the exhaust done today too. Should be able to finish on Sunday. Nothing planned for the day.

Torqued everything down last night, installed the front sprocket and cover. Today I'm going to get the throttle body and gas tank back on. Lots of electrical stuff to plug in. I'll try to get the exhaust done today too. Should be able to finish on Sunday. Nothing planned for the day.
Please be sure to record the step by step advancements in hi-res pics!
We lurrrrrrrrv them pics :thumbsup:

Starting to look like a bike again. Putting in fluids next, then finish putting exhaust on. Not putting the fairings on for a little bit.

CAB91F9E-EF42-4AA8-9679-FEF3BADA9B5D.jpeg

A35E739D-CF50-4832-A477-7ED466A3CF7D.jpeg

C85762CA-EA60-4F8D-8A4E-F1287357B34D.jpeg

7DAFA85F-BB2A-4C00-9D16-E6B19BC8EF2F.jpeg

Well some comedy. Filled it up with fluids and went to start it. Zzaaaappp. Bright flash. Nothing. Apparently you have to have the engine ground connected. Lol. Long day.

Fix the wiring and it cranks over once and the battery was dead. Yes I’m special. I could have had it charging for a long time but I’m an idiot.

Good part is nothing is leaking yet. Hahahaha.

Well some comedy. Filled it up with fluids and went to start it. Zzaaaappp. Bright flash. Nothing. Apparently you have to have the engine ground connected. Lol. Long day.

Fix the wiring and it cranks over once and the battery was dead. Yes I’m special. I could have had it charging for a long time but I’m an idiot.

Yeah, having it leak before it starts (would) be something.:laugh:

Opps!

Also having some charging issues. May be due to last nights lightening storm.. lol

I have one dead battery. Swapped it out with the Harley battery and it starts right up. Checked voltage on the battery that charges and it hits 14volts with minimal acceleration.

Just have to check my leak at my water pump. Have to see if it’s coming from a weep hole or a bad gasket. Showed no leaks prior to surgery, but I cleaned the hell out of that area so I may have loosened something up.

Well. First ride didn’t go so well. Made it about 5 miles and I’m stuck on the side of the road. Threw an FI code, shut off and now I’m waiting to get picked up. Doesn’t sound good. Something sounds loose. Fml

Made tons of popping noise, rpms went up down up down all over the place and she shut off. Won’t start

Last edited:
Well. First ride didn’t go so well. Made it about 5 miles and I’m stuck on the side of the road. Threw an FI code, shut off and now I’m waiting to get picked up. Doesn’t sound good. Something sounds loose. Fml

Made tons of popping noise, rpms went up down up down all over the place and she shut off. Won’t start
:eek: :( :banghead:
Damn! Let us know what happened . . . not good.

OK, couple things.. No codes. Put it in dealer mode and nothing C00. Cranks but no start. Has fuel, has spark, has air (duh). I can turn it over easily, no issues there. What I heard yesterday as popping was unburnt fuel in the exhaust. I was thinking cam position sensor, but i don't know if I would even get spark if it was that.

Is there a way to test the crank position sensor?

What could break while riding that would cause a no start condition?

I wouldn't be opposed. Or give me a time and I'll get a truck and bring it up there.

I've tried almost everything I can come up with. Short of replacing parts to see if something works. Tempted to take off the stator cover and have a peak inside. Pulled the starter just to make sure it wasn't stripped or something. Was fine. Wish I had another bike here to test electrical parts.

I wouldn't be opposed. Or give me a time and I'll get a truck and bring it up there.

I've tried almost everything I can come up with. Short of replacing parts to see if something works. Tempted to take off the stator cover and have a peak inside. Pulled the starter just to make sure it wasn't stripped or something. Was fine. Wish I had another bike here to test electrical parts.
Same line of thought here also,,, something isn't right,, and not making sense,,,
Let me know, im sure i figure it out,,

Quote . . .What could break while riding that would cause a no start condition?

I would hazard a guess the valve timing has changed due to the chain tensioner failing in some way and the chain has jumped a few teeth.
Perform a compression test on all 4 cyls and I think you'll find inconsistencies on 1 or more cyls.
This is the only scenario I can come up with after considering the symptoms, unburnt fuel detonating in the exhaust headers, engine cranks but won't run.
Remember, it will only store the FI fault codes as long as the ignition is switched on. As soon as you switch off the ignition, codes are wiped.

Just a hunch . . .
hunchback-notre-dame.jpg

Last edited:
Back