Buying First Rear Tire

I doubt it too but we shall see .

I had 8500 on a set of Dunlop G P R 300's
and still had plenty to go when I wrecked it .

DUNLOP tire.jpg

Going to give the Q 3+ a try & see how long it lasts ~ while doing my best to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN *

Black Blue Burnout.jpg

Not sure how any of you guys get more miles out of a tire ~ lucky if my tires ever see more than triple digits *

attachment.php

Not trying to ask them to do more than they should ~ if you buy a higher number they'll last longer . . .

However, that also means that they will not stick nearly as well as the lower number tires !

What I've found out is that the 180 / 55 " HOOK - UP " works great for the drags.

I wouldn't ask that tire to perform well heading up to an Idyllwild ride !

The " ADVANCE " 005 would be my choice for curving roads .

The " APEX " 010 would last me a little bit longer.

Buy whatever you want to go ride with ?

I'm OK~ with a cheapo Shinko.

Just my two cents here.

Red, *<(:{)-
:fire:

I'm using Trip B to record the mileage on this set. That's what I've put on these in two months time. I don't have a tire gauge to measure tread depth. I routinely run hard through the mountain roads up here where I live and they are sticking like glue without fail.

20180711_115846.jpg

Back in 1981, I had a GS1100, the Busa of the time. After burning the stock tire off, I put a Michelin on it and charged it on my account at the bike shop. In 3 weeks, I had to replace the Michelin before I even got the bill from the bike shop for it. I went to Continentals then and they were the longest lasting, best rain tire and best all around tire for that 1100.

Back in 1981, I had a GS1100, the Busa of the time. After burning the stock tire off, I put a Michelin on it and charged it on my account at the bike shop. In 3 weeks, I had to replace the Michelin before I even got the bill from the bike shop for it. I went to Continentals then and they were the longest lasting, best rain tire and best all around tire for that 1100.

That’s surprising that the Conti was the longest lasting (and) a good rain tire. Those qualities seldom come together. Waay back in time I ran Dunlop K-81 TT tires on my CB 750/852. They were the best handling tire around. My CBXs went thru just about every tire made and none ever saw 5,000 miles on the rear. Of course their tiny sizes dictated my choices. After the OEM Bridgestones wore (quickly) on my Busa I tried a set of PPs which burned thru in less than 4,000 miles. Since then, nothing but PR 2s and 3s, all giving a satisfactory 8,000+ on the rear with good adhesion in the corners wet or dry.

I think over the decades that all manufacturers may have bad times, selling tires made in Brazil that were bad and those from France were good, or vice versa. Combined with the expense of a set for the Busa these days, and being satisfied with the PRs, it’s hard to experiment with other brands. It’s good that these threads exist if for nothing else, so that we can all provide our actual on the road results.

That’s surprising that the Conti was the longest lasting (and) a good rain tire. Those qualities seldom come together. Waay back in time I ran Dunlop K-81 TT tires on my CB 750/852. They were the best handling tire around. My CBXs went thru just about every tire made and none ever saw 5,000 miles on the rear. Of course their tiny sizes dictated my choices. After the OEM Bridgestones wore (quickly) on my Busa I tried a set of PPs which burned thru in less than 4,000 miles. Since then, nothing but PR 2s and 3s, all giving a satisfactory 8,000+ on the rear with good adhesion in the corners wet or dry.

I think over the decades that all manufacturers may have bad times, selling tires made in Brazil that were bad and those from France were good, or vice versa. Combined with the expense of a set for the Busa these days, and being satisfied with the PRs, it’s hard to experiment with other brands. It’s good that these threads exist if for nothing else, so that we can all provide our actual on the road results.

I'll never let my bike wear another brand other than PRs and the pic I posted above shows my current mileage on the set of PR5s I'm running.

Wet child approves of wet traction from the PR5s lol

View attachment 1583556

Great looking kid. He’d approve of a nice pair of armored riding pants and boots too. In the heat I wear MX style padded hard shell knee and shin guards that Velcro around my legs under the jeans. Impact protection is what I’m looking for. Woulda saved me three knee operations and a skin graft.

Great looking kid. He’d approve of a nice pair of armored riding pants and boots too. In the heat I wear MX style padded hard shell knee and shin guards that Velcro around my legs under the jeans. Impact protection is what I’m looking for. Woulda saved me three knee operations and a skin graft.

I haven't found a decent pair of riding pants for him. I had to find the jacket in the women's section.

+1 on the MX gear, alot of quality stuff in kids sizes.
There are several kinds that will hold up well to pavement, shredding, etc, and as said, good stuff available for impact.
We know you know what's needed and what works(from unfortunately seeing it the hard way), just that MX gear is a good place to look for kids stuff that'll work well for the street.
And a passenger backrest!
That little dude must be excited beyond words, he rides with Dad...on his Busa!

Back