Instruments Cluster Question....

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Here's a few pics of some damage to my instruments.
The damage to the tacho needle and tacho face plate were there when acquired the bike, the damage to the cover was there too, but has actually got worse over the years I've had it.
Anyone got any ideas on what caused this? I've got my ideas, but keen to hear a fresh perspective on it.
Thanks for any input.

IMG_2090.JPG

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

Almost looks like it melted. What kind of windshield are you running? I know back in the day guys were running into issues with aftermarket windshields that would reflect and concentrate sunlight down onto the dash and cause issues if it was parked for an extended period of time with the sun behind the bike. Never experienced it myself or witnessed in person, but could be credible from focusing sunlight on the location like a magnifying glass.

Almost looks like it melted. What kind of windshield are you running? I know back in the day guys were running into issues with aftermarket windshields that would reflect and concentrate sunlight down onto the dash and cause issues if it was parked for an extended period of time with the sun behind the bike. Never experienced it myself or witnessed in person, but could be credible from focusing sunlight on the location like a magnifying glass.
Yeah, that's my theory too, it looks like lensing damage from the sun.
It must have been parked in the sun for long periods and the sun focused through the screen and the tacho lens to do that damage eh.
Anyway, it still works fine so all good.

Friend of mine got a 636 new, whenever they first came out, 2004?, cant remember.
Anyway, got a gold windsheild, and it seriously melted the guages, like it had been on fire.
The black plastic had holes, bubbles, and runs in it.
The lenses were blurry in spots from no longer being flat.
And they all still worked!

Back