Another warm day . . . another mountain ride!

Kiwi Rider

Registered
Today was warm and humid, little wind, partial puffy clouds and sunshine, perfect ride conditions.
My riding buddy showed at my place 11.45am.
We did a 90km ride to the historic Bealey Hotel in the Southern Alps stopping at Lake Pearson for refreshments.
Heres a link to the route
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/dir/D...7315eb6b4286e!2m2!1d171.6097927!2d-43.0214117

Then return journey to my pad for further refreshments and blue cheese sausages, field mushrooms and fries.
Oh and a coupl'a beers ......
IMG_1802.JPG

At Lake Pearson
IMG_1803.JPG
IMG_1804.JPG
IMG_1805.JPG

Below is at the Historic Bealey Hotel, used to have stage coaches roll up there in the 1800's to take mostly gold miners to the West Coast.
IMG_1806.JPG
IMG_1807.JPG
IMG_1808.JPG
IMG_1809.JPG
IMG_1810.JPG
IMG_1811.JPG
View attachment 1579612
Below is a couple of Moa bird (extinct thanks to the original inhabitants of the land) effigies. 12ft tall and formidable creatures!
IMG_1813.JPG

'Busa parking.
IMG_1814.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

Last edited:
All these pics are taken with my 5 year old iphone 4s.
You yanks actually built a pretty decent camera /phone/track n trace device lol !
My next excursion will be filmed on a GoPro 3+ Black and will post up on youtube, link will be posted asap.
I so wish I could have filmed today... we had an awesome ride with excellent conditions, very little traffic and only one cop which was detected long before he saw us lol. Thanks to Beltronics.
1520061526439.png

Last edited:
That J Slabbie is certainly in great condition , real nice . We can't legally run detectors in Australia , the pricks . Haven't been able to for many years . The scenery is always fantastic in all the pictures from you Kiwi lads , really would like to ride there someday . :thumbsup:

When I buy a second bike you can come stay and ride with us for a tour of our great wee Island!
Then it will be my turn to do the same with you and your 'Lucky Country'.
Then the 'Hayabusa International Rider Exchange Program' (or HIREP as it will be affectionately called) will be established and people from the Org can come to NZ and South Australia and have the experience of a lifetime, all done on the cheap.
It's 6.05am here and my brain is working at 120% this morning, able to come up with a brilliant idea like that :thumbsup:
Seriously though, wouldn't that be so cool?

That J Slabbie is certainly in great condition , real nice . We can't legally run detectors in Australia , the pricks . Haven't been able to for many years . The scenery is always fantastic in all the pictures from you Kiwi lads , really would like to ride there someday . :thumbsup:
Yes that J model is in very good nick. It has 57000k's on the clock.
He spent $3K over 3 years restoring it to original spec with genuine parts from Megazip, then he finally finished it and we started riding together back in January last year.
He's covered 12000kms since then riding with me as many weekends as weather dictated, and it's been totally reliable.
It's also very very fast! I have trouble shaking him under full power, I was accelerating hard and he passed me (with a run up) at 220kmh on one occasion... unreal.
Radar detectors are common on bikes here, and very necessary!
The cops often 'instant on' their radars and if you don't visually see the cop approaching, you're snapped. Just like that.
This happened to me a few weeks back in a 100kmh zone.
He got me at 124kmh, $170 fine and 35 demerit points on my license.
We go to 100 demerits then after that it's 3 months disqualification period.
But I have been saved by the detector on many many occasions also.
Riding at the speed limit is really quite dangerous, the chance of going to sleep is high lol, but try and tell that to the Judge, he won't believe ya!

Snow in Germany today. I won't even bother to pull my bike out for at least another month. I'm jealous of you all that get to ride all different times of the year.
Don't worry about paybacks please bro , I'm sure we all don't want to hear how you sailed past the law at 300 kph on your local autobahn , and continued happily with your summer ride !! Wait on , yes we do want to hear all that and more bro !! Awesome :thumbsup:

All these pics are taken with my 5 year old iphone 4s.
You yanks actually built a pretty decent camera /phone/track n trace device lol !
My next excursion will be filmed on a GoPro 3+ Black and will post up on youtube, link will be posted asap.
I so wish I could have filmed today... we had an awesome ride with excellent conditions, very little traffic and only one cop which was detected long before he saw us lol. Thanks to Beltronics.
View attachment 1579626
I have the RX65A model, it has paid for itself already

Another great ride today, covered 180kms and no cops!
Another mate cruised with us today on his '06 BMW K1200S, fast bike too.View attachment 1579645
The hills to Akaroa
View attachment 1579646
More American cars
View attachment 1579649
Hey Toad, spot the Charger!
View attachment 1579650
The pub at Little River
View attachment 1579651
'Hey Charger' , mopar green !! Yes great to see the cars on your rides KiwiRider , lots of US imports also , all very desirable . Just about the Slabbie , I actually bought my old mates J GSXR11 when I was in hospital from my second big crash on a GSXR 11 . I have had a lot of history with GSXR oil burners , we got them going pretty quick over here . :thumbsup:

'. I have had a lot of history with GSXR oil burners , we got them going pretty quick over here . :thumbsup:
Can you post a pic of that J model? My mate would love to see that, he's OCD with the old GSXR's lol. Thanks.
I have seen your 'oil burners' Toad, very impressive, I was only into them for 5 years before going to a K6 GSXR. I actually had a GSXR1100M before the Slabbie so I was aware of the differences but liked the lower weight of the old Slabside.
I like them for the nostalgia value, but we swapped bikes the other day and honestly, I don't know if I could ride one and get into it like I have done with the Busa.
The old vacuum operated carbies have a massive lag that I could not put up with.
The suspension is very 'old world'[, nice way of saying "crappie".
The brakes are weak to the point of worrying, little braking force and the lever came almost into the bar before anything happened!! Wow.
The power is good when it's on the boil but anyway, for me.... I'll stick with the later bikes now.

I have only one picture of the bike , on my old phone (Nokia) , so I am charging it now to see if I can retrieve it .
My mate now owns it , bought it off me in around '94 ish . I could ask him to send me a pic of it when he last had it together , see how I go . I , myself was not big on taking pictures , didn't own a camera back then , and no mobile phones of course . I have a poor picture record of my bikes , and feel like I might have taken things for granted a bit . Anyway , yes got a few of the slingshot types already posted up elsewhere , and the L was basically the best , but with the K frame with Yoshimura ride height adjuster fitted was the ultimate for that later breed 1100 IMHO . The G,Hand J were the classics and if you can find a mint or close to it , well good investment I'd say .

Back