Reviving The Dust Bunny!

FergusonMisfit

Registered
Ok here we go, putting up the info on getting my bike back to riding condition. But for the back story here we go. Pardon my messy garage, got divorced and moved out, then back in so i havent had time to clean this winter.

Been looking for a new bike for the last year at least. Test rode some buddies bike's zx-10, zx14, Gsxr 1k, yadda yadda yadda, and of course my buddies Busa. At the same time a friend was rebuilding his 2000 in the garage at my place. I always loved the lines and big bodies other guys complained about, so i set out to find one.

Enter Craigslist.
Ad was like this, 05 low miles, stock minus exhaust, replaced tank factory had dent. Blah blah blah, 3000k or best offer.
00u0u_3hTbg26q5Jm_600x450_zpsmzcrdgao.jpg

Did a bunch of research, asked the guy about miles, he said around 2400, i called BS.
So i had my busa friend go and look at it for me, i know enough about bikes but it seemed too good to be true, figured a guy who put almost 80k on his gen one would know more than I.
He sends me a pic and calls with details.
00z0z_4nSXNdsVLtp_1200x900_zpsmqro5lsw.jpg

Behold it is too good to be true, bike has been modded, a bit more than the exhaust, has mainly vanity parts, chrome and billet, ignition has been punched out, airshifter, factory undertail hacked to poop, tires rotted (date stamed 2002), left side rashed from going down.
He says it runs but has a engine noise he cant pin point. On the bright side he says the miles are legit, title matches and some of the factory parts look barely worn, (brake discs), buddy says he haggled the guy and got him down to 2600 but he wont budge.

I told him to run like his ass was on fire. He leaves and goes to lunch, owner calls him back, and says if he can get 2k today it can go. So i weighed my options and pull the trigger, worst case i get it for 2 put 1500 in it and have a decent low mileage busa. So i go to get it.
20170408_114343_zpsoyqjelzv.jpg

Loaded it, and pulled into the wash bay to clear 3 years worth of dust off of it. Body is rough on the left side whole fairing is scraped with a few fairing bolt holes cracked. Right side is pretty good.

Fast forward to home, i started stripping it down, didnt take deconstruction pics but im sure most have seen the skeleton.
20170415_113731_zpsmzatippw.jpg

As i dig i find more crap, wiring harness has been clipped and butt jointed in several places for seemingly no reason, 2 redundant kill switches, fork seals are toast leaking like a 10 cent whore, sprocket cover busted as i now know is common, and it has naturally been home to a family of mice. Every bit of foam shredded and packed into the tail, piss and mouse turds galore, and tailwiring toast. On the good side,

Begin the repairs
20170415_110203_zpsvacxwlog.jpg

New fork seals(all ballz) fixed the mess of wiring, solder iron and heat shrink replacing the butt connections, removed air shifter, cleaned the hell out of it, and found the source of the engine noise. Has a brocks manual cam chain tensioner, and it it LOOSE. Tighten the tensioner per brocks suggestion and tadaa engine noise gone. So now its running ok and most of the BS fixed, time for new shoes!!!!!!
20170503_202924_zpsmcy52pzl.jpg

20170503_202941_zpspdugm5m9.jpg

Finally back on her own 2 feet. Now we are at the present, waiting on the billet sprocket cover from D&D racing to get here. Hopefully the noises from the clutches were due to the crack cover not fully holding them free.

Lastly deciding what to due with body work
05LE color i guess, debating on factory paint and repair or something new and fancy. What do you think, here is what im working with.
20170503_203107_zpsj7aawbtj.jpg

20170503_203244_zpsiqeypll1.jpg

Ok here we go, putting up the info on getting my bike back to riding condition. But for the back story here we go. Pardon my messy garage, got divorced and moved out, then back in so i havent had time to clean this winter.

Been looking for a new bike for the last year at least. Test rode some buddies bike's zx-10, zx14, Gsxr 1k, yadda yadda yadda, and of course my buddies Busa. At the same time a friend was rebuilding his 2000 in the garage at my place. I always loved the lines and big bodies other guys complained about, so i set out to find one.

Enter Craigslist.
Ad was like this, 05 low miles, stock minus exhaust, replaced tank factory had dent. Blah blah blah, 3000k or best offer.
View attachment 1572599

Did a bunch of research, asked the guy about miles, he said around 2400, i called BS.
So i had my busa friend go and look at it for me, i know enough about bikes but it seemed too good to be true, figured a guy who put almost 80k on his gen one would know more than I.
He sends me a pic and calls with details.
View attachment 1572600
Behold it is too good to be true, bike has been modded, a bit more than the exhaust, has mainly vanity parts, chrome and billet, ignition has been punched out, airshifter, factory undertail hacked to poop, tires rotted (date stamed 2002), left side rashed from going down.
He says it runs but has a engine noise he cant pin point. On the bright side he says the miles are legit, title matches and some of the factory parts look barely worn, (brake discs), buddy says he haggled the guy and got him down to 2600 but he wont budge.

I told him to run like his ass was on fire. He leaves and goes to lunch, owner calls him back, and says if he can get 2k today it can go. So i weighed my options and pull the trigger, worst case i get it for 2 put 1500 in it and have a decent low mileage busa. So i go to get it.
View attachment 1572601
Loaded it, and pulled into the wash bay to clear 3 years worth of dust off of it. Body is rough on the left side whole fairing is scraped with a few fairing bolt holes cracked. Right side is pretty good.

Fast forward to home, i started stripping it down, didnt take deconstruction pics but im sure most have seen the skeleton.
View attachment 1572602
As i dig i find more crap, wiring harness has been clipped and butt jointed in several places for seemingly no reason, 2 redundant kill switches, fork seals are toast leaking like a 10 cent whore, sprocket cover busted as i now know is common, and it has naturally been home to a family of mice. Every bit of foam shredded and packed into the tail, piss and mouse turds galore, and tailwiring toast. On the good side,

Begin the repairs
View attachment 1572603
New fork seals(all ballz) fixed the mess of wiring, solder iron and heat shrink replacing the butt connections, removed air shifter, cleaned the hell out of it, and found the source of the engine noise. Has a brocks manual cam chain tensioner, and it it LOOSE. Tighten the tensioner per brocks suggestion and tadaa engine noise gone. So now its running ok and most of the BS fixed, time for new shoes!!!!!!
View attachment 1572604
View attachment 1572605
Finally back on her own 2 feet. Now we are at the present, waiting on the billet sprocket cover from D&D racing to get here. Hopefully the noises from the clutches were due to the crack cover not fully holding them free.

Lastly deciding what to due with body work
05LE color i guess, debating on factory paint and repair or something new and fancy. What do you think, here is what im working with.
View attachment 1572606
View attachment 1572607
I love seeing these bikes brought back to life! Good job so far, keep us posted on your progress!

Awesome thread! Subscribed! I would get a oem used replacement for the messed side faring and then repaint OEM stuff. Search on here and read about all the ugly stories on eBay/aftermarket fairings.

Not sure how one can work in conditions like that . My OCD would just go ape poop . Help your self with a folding table to get off the ground , keep trash can close by to throw bags n stuff in . That alone will make finding little dropped parts easy to see . Reminds me of a mexico city operating room .

Keep the rebuild going though , and dont listen to me .

Nice seeing a hayabusa brought back from the dead. Excellent write up! You work like I work lol. Good advice from c10 because I have lost a lot of parts from not being tidy.

Thanks guys, yeah when my wife and i got divorced she destroyed the garage. and got roomates that have rabbits smelling up the place. I got the busa days after moving back in and haven't been able to clean due to Missouri weather and work. fortunately i do have a table in the corner where every bolt and small part that comes off goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent the weekend ordering parts, doing plugs and other general maintenance, drained the junk fuel, peeling stickers from scratched fairings and ordered some new bits. Ordered rear-sets, new clutches, and a new stator cover mine has a tiny crack and while it could be fixed with just a dab of JB, I dont want any leakage. Dreading pulling the clutch cover, makes one hell of a racket at idle in neutral, sounds fine when lever is applied. awaiting cracked basket, but we will see. nothing to really show as far as pictures go but will post up a running video tonight when i get home, its idling fine but backfiring more than I would like.

Here is a picture of what came out of the tank, not quite varnish, but nice and thick.
20170506_135735_zpskobji0wk.jpg

Last edited:
So there it is, running on its own for the first time in god knows how long. Fresh everything, plugs, fuel, oil. Proud moment for me, I have saved ALOT of bikes/cars over the years but the Busa has always been an unreachable goal, until now.

Minus rebuilding the clutch she is almost mechanically sound. Its running rich so im gonna bust out my homade manometer and synch the throttle bodies hopefully that will lean things back stock, and try and figure out why my "choke/idle speed adjuster" doesnt function properly.

I spent the afternoon yesterday cleaning the garage, at least as much as I could while these damn renters are here.

Also yes that is a 2002 in the back I just got done building for another buddy. Its in my garage once again to get something fixed the PO fudged up on it.

So i bit the bullet today and tore into the clutch, all ready for the basket to be cracked or have a bunch of broken steels or frictions.
20170510_171900_zpsiwdmbyea.jpg

Okay, that looks brand new.
On to the steels and friction
20170510_174749_zpsdbes29wn.jpg

20170510_174827_zpsnyrbcmep.jpg

Not the worst i have seen no real wear, little bit of heat scoring and hot spots on the steels.
20170510_174529_zpsvnoojdwj.jpg

Guess i dont need to do the clutch mod, someone did well with a tig welder..........im kinda impressed

So i pulled the entire assembly out, and couldnt find anything that would obviously cause the chatter at Idle in neutral. Since the bike only has 26XX miles i cant figure whats causing it. I did find some other posts, but nothing concrete on a cause. Oh well. Now back to waiting on new parts.

So after a week of tinkering, and ordering more parts, i dont have my wave seat, or conical wave washer (part 14&15in the below picture) ordered them so im gonna try and install them and see if it helps clutch chatter any.
Clutch_zpskcaxrcmy.jpg

Got my new rearsets installed, the billet sprocket cover is gonna make me flip shift patterns though. Should be fun learning to ride like that.

Have an issue with my fuel gauge not reading, i assume given how long the bike sat that the arm may be seized, gonna drain all the fuel out and pull the pump to inspect it.

Not really for my bike, and not really my taste but i installed these lighted Kanji on my buddies bike for him yesterday. Thought you guys would enjoy a little eye candy.
20170515_204547_zpssstnzv6d.jpg

So after buttoning up the clutch, putting new gaskets and seals on, buffing/polishing the paint. She is back on the ROAD! Put about 150 miles on it so far, and doing a 100 mile trip on it today, if everything goes well gonna put some more miles on a long trip this 3 day weekend. Took some shots of it all buttoned up. Still not sure what im going to do about the fairings yet. Might put a set of Chinese copies on until i can get the nose and tail fixed and find a color matched OEM for the right side.
20170521_144525_zpsqcjnjbpf.jpg

The hump mounts are broken so its just sitting on there for the picture.
20170521_144534_zpsrobkikbq.jpg

The exhaust side fairings came out nice, i swear by the mothers ultimate compound, it really takes the glaze and surface scratches out.
20170521_123355_zpsgno0vbgl.jpg

Polished the exhaust, this shows the outcome half way through, i pulled the strap and got the whole can afterwards, but the before and after is awesome.
20170523_214430_zpsbkzgcmeq.jpg

Polished the wind screen and headlight clear again recovered the new rear seat got my passenger pegs and a grab bar on. Now we are good to go!!!!!!!

Back