Plasti-dipped Again - Hypershift Ztn

InfiniteReality

Registered
Figured why not a 4th time. Each time I dip, I up my game a little bit and this time I swung for the fences. I picked the hardest pearl to spray (and by far most expensive) and decided to go glossy on top of everything. It's not perfect, as I'm still learning how to spray the TopCoat but I'm happy with the outcome. All in all I had 8 base coats of regular black, then 2 coats of Hypershift ZTN and followed up with 3 coats of TopCoat to finish it up.

I also used the GoPro to record the whole process, so I'll get that put together and uploaded for kicks.

This wasn't my first choice of color to dip it, but I wanted something completely different this time around and chose the color because of how it changes it to a completely different color. They have others, like purple to blue and similar, but if I was going to spend the money to use Hypershift, I wanted it the wildest possible. I'm not totally sure I like the color since on the bike is shows more purple than green/gold, but accomplished my goal...different.

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3692.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3695.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

IMG_3702.jpg

IMG_3703.jpg

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3705.jpg

At this angle it looks straight purple.
IMG_3700.jpg

Sun behind the clouds
IMG_3664.jpg

IMG_3666.jpg

IMG_3668.jpg

IMG_3670.jpg

IMG_3671.jpg

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3675.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg

IMG_3683.jpg

IMG_3684.jpg

IMG_3685.jpg

Address please, ill just send a set of plastics!

Bike looks great. The more I look at it I see all the other details you have done.

Thanks and yep, lots of small stuff adds up. Wouldn't change a thing, other than the color, lol.

Address please, ill just send a set of plastics!

Haha, that's the best part. This can easily be sprayed in your garage over a weekend and get great results. Friday after work I washed (dawn) & dried the bike, pulled plastics off, wipe down 3x. After duck hunting Saturday I wiped down 2x more and sprayed everything. Sunday after church I put it all back together and cutout my graphics.

It's still weird looking to me, the other 3x I dipped the bike they were flat or satin finish. This is my first real gloss and I'm liking it.

How does it hold up/last on different areas of the bike?
It holds up great everywhere. Even high wear areas like where your knees go against the tank, the hump from moving it everyday, etc. Honestly it's not delicate as you'd think, it takes a fair amount of effort with your fingernail to tear a hole in it when you peel it off.

I must say that you are one of the people on here who is always up to something cool. Thanks for sharing. There is something about this version of your Busa that is especially interesting asethetically. I think the tonal variation in the dip makes the bike look like its a solid block of some sort of super metal. Almost like the crazy matchbox cars we all had as a kid. I bet the street presence of this is off the hook. After looking at this for a very long time, I was wondering if you could dip the infill panels along the tank and the dash. This would make the fairing look like it was carved from a big chunk of the super metal.

I must say that you are one of the people on here who is always up to something cool. Thanks for sharing. There is something about this version of your Busa that is especially interesting asethetically. I think the tonal variation in the dip makes the bike look like its a solid block of some sort of super metal. Almost like the crazy matchbox cars we all had as a kid. I bet the street presence of this is off the hook. After looking at this for a very long time, I was wondering if you could dip the infill panels along the tank and the dash. This would make the fairing look like it was carved from a big chunk of the super metal.

Thanks, I appreciate it! Ya know I never considered dipping those panels and the sad part is I remove them everytime I dip. That is an awesome idea, next time I dip I'll definitely be dipping those panels and maybe even the dash. I really like that idea!

This looks crazy cool!!!! I thought you said you were never using topocoat again due to it being a pain to remove the dip(?) not 100% on that.

This looks crazy cool!!!! I thought you said you were never using topocoat again due to it being a pain to remove the dip(?) not 100% on that.

Haha, you're definitely correct I did say that. And it truly did suck, but I think TopCoat is the only way to go with any Hypershift color. The color flip isn't near as dramatic on a flat finish. I'm not sure if it'll make any difference, but the last time I dipped (ice blue) had the base coat and then the pearl was mixed in the quart of top coat with no additional 100% clear TopCoats afterwards unlike this time where I have 3 coats. Fingers crossed it'll MAYBE be easier to remove, I'll find out in the spring time.

BTW if anyone is considering dipping DipYourCar will have a discount on Black Friday. I'm already looking for my next color while there's a discount.

what brands of plastidip do you use? Do you think they would be good to use on a cabinet. I wonder how smooth it would be on wood

Back