Reduce Weight, Only 1 Front Rotor?

Jake whitebird

Registered
Anyone removed a front caliper and rotor? Guy on his zx14 who keeps walking me (it's all in good racing plus he's got yeeeeeears of experience) pulled 1 of his fronts and says it's good for like 7 pounds. Next question, if it is possible I do think right side is primary so at least you could have matching rotors on the right side (front and rear) pros and cons let me have em.

it is , but can make wheelies more prone . Fill axle with lead . Rotating weight reduction helps make for faster e.t. but dont expect much . You may find you can no longer make first turn in at a track so best to roll to last track exit till you have tested it out .

image.jpeg

Ive done it on a few bikes but I always remove my right and leave the left. I always look for ways to cut weight. Lithium battery, greggs gsxr tail, removal pair valve, lighter wheels (r1, carrozzeria etc.) and hit the gym lol.

Why would anyone want to reduce front braking power on brakes that are already struggling to do the job at speed? There are many other places where you can reduce weight without compromising performance; like installing a lithium ion battery. There is seven pounds right there and you have improved your bikes performance rather than reduced it.

A 7 lb rotor and caliper!?
No way.
Maybe half that.
Regardless, you will NEVER notice the weight loss (or unsprung weight) using just one rotor.
A drag only bike, with every ounce possible removed, sure, alot of people run one.
But a street bike, it's a waste of time.

Last edited:
Hit the gym? So weigh more than 200 at 12 percent fat? Just make me heavier? I'll weigh the parts and see what was reduced. No problem getting her shut down at bandimere, from 133 but I appreciate the criticism!

A rotor/caliper combo is about 6 to 8 lb depending on 300 mm to 320 mm rotor size , and 6 pot or 4 pot caliper . It adds up . Here is my retired daily ridden drag bike started life @ 542 pounds wet after lots of work / titanium parts / wheels and much more she was a scant 395 pounds . Just 142 hp with the Flat slide RS38 mm's and 86 Tq @ 56.5" wheel base could run down the 1/4 10.030 to 10. teens with 60's in the 1.59 to 1.66

Keep it going you will get there :)

CAM00335_zps908be9ac.jpg
CAM00770_zpsecf8ba08.jpg
CAM00682_zps2dff196c.jpg
CAM00618_zps953c89e4.jpg
CAM00614_zpsa965bb1b.jpg
CAM00616_zps112ac606.jpg
CAM01161_zpsede12a2a.jpg
CAM00855_zpsa029bdde.jpg
CAM01164_zps801a331a.jpg
CAM01548_zpsb33a7726.jpg
CAM01431_zps671d228c.jpg
CAM01386_zpsf8f48af0.jpg
DSC_0101_zpsaff7f6b1.jpg
DSC_0102_zps2786989a.jpg
DSC_0856_zpsvlalq4ub.jpg

Black widow is Owned by Dorey racing , and I make a few passes on her from time to time making sure shes tip top . She will go one rotor soon . My little SWB as you can see is a single .

ZRX%20drag%20bike_zpszkiboj3v.jpg

_DSC4431_zps567037e8.jpg

_DSC4430_zps8970c737.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit the gym? So weigh more than 200 at 12 percent fat? Just make me heavier? I'll weigh the parts and see what was reduced. No problem getting her shut down at bandimere, from 133 but I appreciate the criticism!
Criticism?? It was a suggestion. I guess you don't realize that in hitting the gym you can cut weight just as well as you can gain it depending on your workout and diet. Some of you guys are funny as hell. You come on here and ask for advice, opinions, suggestions and recommendations but when you get it you respond with more than a thank you. Criticise you...smdh.

Most people on here that are over 200 lbs are nowhere near 10% body fat (myself included). Most of us could stand to go to the gym and drop a few pounds, for ourselves and the bike. You have to know that dadofthree had no idea of your build, and his advice is good for most of us. C10 is another example of hitting the gym not helping him out, sence he only weights as much as a good fart.:D

Sounds like you had already made your mind before asking here. I've seen a lot of 1 rotor busas out there. I would probably try it if I had an all out custom bike with fancy wheels, but I went the other way and added monobloc Calipers, HH pads, stainless braided lines and brembo MCs. Good luck on you weight reduction. There is a member here that had a pretty light busa with full carbon fairings.

Back