Thinking About Dipping The Bike... Need Color Opinions

InfiniteReality

Registered
Considering Plasti-Dipping my bike again. I did it satin white for the 2013 riding year and peeled off that winter. Still regret peeling it off, satin white looked so good. I sprayed the Raptor Grabber Blue (pictures look lighter than in person) a month ago and now wanting to dip the bike again. The frame, arm, wheels and accents will remain black. Also I'll cut out some satin graphics to be applied afterwards to break up the color.

Here's my top color choices (in order of preference), no plans on doing clear or pearls....just doing it for fun. Thanks for opinions!

Camo Green
Grabber Blue
Camo Tan
Electric Lime Green
Blaze Yellow

Other colors here:
Plasti Dip Colors

IMG_8385.jpg

IMG_1148.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not too big of a fan of bronze as a main color, but accent color would be pretty cool against a dark color.

Factory-like graphics will be a must for any color, just to break up the big blank spot on the side fairings. Plus they're free since I already have them drawn up. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had it on the busa for about 6 months with no issues before I removed it. I've had it on the truck for about 6 weeks and no issues. It's extremely durable, they say you can use a pressure washer or go through automatic car washes without worries. I haven't tested either of those yet out on the truck, too much time invested in doing it. I estimate ~31hrs between the blue and black prep and spraying.

With a bike, the nice part is it's very easy to do. Wash with dawn, remove plastics, spray and re-install plastics. I'll have to tape off my vents on the bike, just because I have powdercoated black inserts. it's also super cheap, only need 1gal of it vs 5 gallons for the truck. On DYC, it's $60/gallon.....can't beat the price and knowing it's completely removeable.

@bigtool: One cool thing you may like is you can spray over graphics, so you get a "3D' look to the graphics. Posted a picture of how the Raptor graphics look under the dip.

I ordered electric lime green and 25g of iguana green pearl to add a little "pop" to it. Can't wait to see how it looks on a busa and when I grow tired of it, I can just purchase another gallon and spray over the green.

IMG_0991.jpg

Preview for anyone reading, will make a new thread when it's finished and have some decent pictures. I have most of the graphics cut out in satin black, just need to finish cutting them and apply. :)

20150823_183801.jpg

no thats not rattle can. that is a kit you buy and shoot through a gun. But you can use a wagner spray gun from any hardware store...stuff is easy to apply...just need a little patience.

Looks clean like that....nice job. Cant wait to see with sunny pics flake

no thats not rattle can. that is a kit you buy and shoot through a gun. But you can use a wagner spray gun from any hardware store...stuff is easy to apply...just need a little patience.

Correct, I dipped it white in 2013 and bought the kit. This time just had to purchase a gallon. You could just as easy buy rattle cans to spray it if you'd like though. Pretty much any knucklehead can do it, many of them have, lol.

Finished my graphics last night and put them on. Pictures in the sun today after I remove the wheel stripes. I have a roll of Lime Tree Green due in tomorrow so I can make some more. Should be just enough to set off the wheels. I'm curious as well how the pearl does in the sunlight, I was surprised how well you can see the pearl by just mixing it in the dip.

I haven't cut out the graphics that go next to the headlight and tail light. I'm undecided if I should... I could use some opinions on if I should.

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1540.JPG

Looks nice. I am about to do mine in the pearl white.

A couple questions.

Dawn is all you need to strip the wax before spraying?

Where did you get the graphics?

Can I spray over the existing graphics? Delaminating them seems like a chore.

Is your frame stock black or is that dipped too? Mine is bare aluminum, I might invest in covers. Painting the frame seems like it would involve some major disassembly.

Here's the official thread if anyone wants to see final product.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-...ectric-lime-pearl-plasti-dipped-hayabusa.html

Kevbrah: Please post pics when you do! There's a pearl white busa on the DYC forums if you were curious how it'd look. To answer your questions:

I washed with dawn and then after fully dry and before I sprayed I used pre-dip spray. Anything similar would work just as well though

I made my own graphics with a Silhouette Cameo.

Definitely can spray over existing graphics, factory or aftermarket. That way when you remove dip at some point, it goes back to stock looking.

Frame is stock satin black. I had miscellaneous parts powdercoated satin black to match it and wheels powdercoated gloss black. Had way too much silver. To paint, powdercoat or dip the frame would require full disassembly. I think with plastics off, it's possible to tape it off and paint or dip the frame if you wanted.

I posted a time lapse of the process on the thread above if you are interested.

Any time and thanks! please post pics if you do yours!

Ugh mine turned out like total crap!

6 cans of the stuff wasted. Bubbles, runs, and the crap just scratched off trying to put the front and rear fenders back in place.

My fairings are pretty rashed anyway. I think I am just going to do the flat black truck bedliner on them to get by for the fall, and order new painted fairings next season. I've done that bedliner on some parts of my cars that got scuffed from kayaks and it looks pretty good. It is very durable and hides major blemishes well.

Ugh mine turned out like total crap!

6 cans of the stuff wasted. Bubbles, runs, and the crap just scratched off trying to put the front and rear fenders back in place.

My fairings are pretty rashed anyway. I think I am just going to do the flat black truck bedliner on them to get by for the fall, and order new painted fairings next season. I've done that bedliner on some parts of my cars that got scuffed from kayaks and it looks pretty good. It is very durable and hides major blemishes well.

Dang, sorry to hear the bad luck! Both times after spraying, mine went on extremely smooth and no issues with it scratching off. Was the bike fully clean, free of wax and 110% dry?

I've put at least a few hundred miles on mine so far with no issues. I was a little concerned with my jacket last 2 times I was on it and got rained on and had to tuck tight and not even a scratch.

The spray on bedliner is a good alternative. I've sprayed it on the Raptor's skid plate and exhaust tips and after over 2 years looks great. One thing I'd be possibly a little concerned is how rough the surface is, just because of when 2 side fairings meet the nose. I don't think it'd be an issue, dip wasn't.

Back