2004 Won't start when hot

I don't have much experience working on my Hayabusa, but lots on equipment. If you've got a hot start problem and you've got: 1) a good battery; and 2) good connections (ground, to the starter, and at the switch) -- the problem is probably the starter. Also, I always tend to suspect the starter when heat is one of the failure conditions. Batteries are usually fairly protected from heat (there's not a big difference in the 'micro climate' that they live in, cold versus hot motor). But starters live in a much more variable climate: when the motor is cold they're cold and when the motor is at operating temp they're hot. Simple and logical. Hope that helps.

That starter gets very hot in there. I'm so glad the 24v system did the trick. I'm taking it on another 500 mile day next week and was not looking forward to pop starting it.

Glad you worked it out but I am trying to understand and visualise where does the second battery go ? pics will be nice :thumbsup:

This battery fits perfect in there with 1/2 inch foam around it. It's not the prettiest but I'll clean it up later. You can see how I ran the wires, no cutting into the tray at all. Hasn't moved an inch.

IMG_9001.jpg

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

IMG_9004.jpg

IMG_9001.jpg

IMG_9002.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

IMG_9004.jpg

Been doing a lot of reading here, and have read many similar threads. Seems like this is a common problem, but it seems like most people don't come back and share their fixes or never figure it out.

So here I go. 2004 with 13K miles. Drove fine no issues, drove 500 miles in a one day trip, no issues. Few weeks later one day I notice it was slow to start after riding for a while. Next day took it for a ride and it wouldn't start back up after getting gas. Figured it was a battery, so bought a new Yuasa and dropped it in. Took it for a ride after charging it and it still did the same thing after getting hot. I know this battery is good as it starts right up after cooling down.

Tested the stator, forgot the number but around 80-VAC
Tested ohms on stator nothing showed up
Tested R/R using diode function and no irregularities.
Voltage while running at idle is 12.9-13.1ish
Voltage at 5000rpm is 14.1-14.4

I'm out of ideas. Anyone have any? Starter getting too hot? I've read other threads where people have changed them out and it still happened. Should I do the 4ga battery cables? Or buy a cheap R/R on eBay just to test it? Any help is appreciated.
thank you that's problem that I've been going through tooooooooooo.........I brought stronger more cca battery but it still is happening I think i'll replace starter and pray a bunch more smile ...angel

Voltage drops to 9 or 8 when cranking while hot.

Up until the first time it started happening, it used to crank perfect, then since that first day I had an issue it is extremely slow maybe turn over once if that. Sounds like the battery is completely dead. But after cooling off it'll start right up. That's why I'm leaning towards something broke because this was never an issue before until it seemed like something broke one day.

Also, bike is completely stock. I mean stock as in it still has the full factory rear fender and all. That stock.
hi greg did you get this concern straight what was it ?..angel

Back