Muffler shortening

SuedePflow

Registered
My buddy just picked up a ninja 600 for a pretty good deal. He's doing basic mods to it without spending alot of money on anything. The bike cames with a Yoshimura slip-on, but he felt it was far too quiet and way too big and ugly. So I suggested we shorten it and see how it works. Just figured I'd share some pics for anyone else considering doing this very thing. I didn't get as many pics as I had planned... We were also using my camera (phone) for internet radio, and we blazed through this project with speed.

First, we drilled the rivets on the inlet. Then we cut the body. This shows how long the muffler originally was and where we cut. We cut it with a hydraulic feed horizontal band saw.

20150514_211950_zpsmfsesvtm.jpg

20150514_211957_zpsjq6bqau8.jpg

Next, we gutted the end that we were throwing away, and we worked the end cap loose from the carbon fiber case. Aside from being riveted, it was also glued. But the glue came loose with some light prying. If you still cannot get the end cap out, then try some relief cuts in the muffler body. Once removed, cut the perforated tube flush with the end cap. AgaIn, we used the bandsaw for this.

After that, press the end cap into the muffler body. Make sure none of the metal or fiberglass packing is protruding into the exhausts path inside of the perforated tube. Once the cap is in place, tack weld the perforated tube inside to make sure it stays aligned in use.

20150514_214731_zpspq1fd6p5.jpg

Then drill out new rivet holes and install new rivets one and a time.

20150514_220410_zpsdi57ne50.jpg

And that's it!
As always your mileage may very. But this time around, we had success. The shortened version sounds so much better than before. And in our opinion, it looks better too.

imagejpeg_01_zpsesk0avxa.jpg

Back