Day 1 of counting calories, exercise and no smoking

I stopped smoking for a week at the new year... Then eh, I'll be joining you in this tomorrow man.

**edit** I know tomorrow sounds bad. But gotta get rid of what I have or it won't work for me personally.

i too am quiting smoking and struggling with it don.....I don't know how encouraging i will be but i hope i can help! I quit last year round july and made it about 3 months until family had thermal melt down with the mother in law. Every one was so stressed i cracked. Keep your chin up and think about it like this. You dont want to be a slave to the habit or that stupid stick. Dont let it beat you. I am positive you have more will power then a piece of paper with a filter.

At 2015 last night it was 72 hours. Diet is going great, had a couple of close calls with smoking but struggled through it. I've found that driving is my worse enemy. I will endeavor to persevere. <<<<< Movie reference.

At 2015 last night it was 72 hours. Diet is going great, had a couple of close calls with smoking but struggled through it. I've found that driving is my worse enemy. I will endeavor to persevere. <<<<< Movie reference.

Please explain.

If you don't have anything to smoke how is driving your worse enemy?
Does your vehicle self steer and go to places that sell smokes?
Then is there a gun at your head making you go inside and buy smoking material?

Remove all traces of smoking stuff from your life.
No lighters, ash trays, matches, etc.

The belief that you can do it is your biggest friend.

DON'T GIVE UP AND DON'T GIVE IN - THE REWARD IS WORTH IT EVEN IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT.

It is OK to vent about close calls as long as they don't trigger more close calls.
At this early stage I hope you are not exposed to second hand smoke of any kind. If so, leave the area till the smoke clears.

Please explain.

If you don't have anything to smoke how is driving your worse enemy?
Does your vehicle self steer and go to places that sell smokes?
Then is there a gun at your head making you go inside and buy smoking material?

Remove all traces of smoking stuff from your life.
No lighters, ash trays, matches, etc.

The belief that you can do it is your biggest friend.

DON'T GIVE UP AND DON'T GIVE IN - THE REWARD IS WORTH IT EVEN IF YOU CAN'T SEE IT.

It is OK to vent about close calls as long as they don't trigger more close calls.
At this early stage I hope you are not exposed to second hand smoke of any kind. If so, leave the area till the smoke clears.

RBR,
Driving is boring, the boredom is the trigger. Second hand smoke has always smelled like crap even when I was smoking so being around my associates that smoke doesn't bother me. My GF lives 2 hours away and driving to her house was a little rough. No comment on the movie reference? LOLOL

RBR,
Driving is boring, the boredom is the trigger. Second hand smoke has always smelled like crap even when I was smoking so being around my associates that smoke doesn't bother me. My GF lives 2 hours away and driving to her house was a little rough. No comment on the movie reference? LOLOL

Driving is boring? What do you think non-smoker do? Jump up and down while driving? Welcome to the world of non-smokers. :thumbsup:
I agree that it can be boring so I just look for interesting things along the way. Like Gas prices that vary wildly from station to station etc.
When you ride/rode a motorcycle - did you smoke?

Why does your GF live 2 hours away?

Guess I haven't seen that movie - sorry, so no comment from me.......

Driving is boring? What do you think non-smoker do? Jump up and down while driving? Welcome to the world of non-smokers. :thumbsup:
I agree that it can be boring so I just look for interesting things along the way. Like Gas prices that vary wildly from station to station etc.
When you ride/rode a motorcycle - did you smoke?

Why does your GF live 2 hours away?

Guess I haven't seen that movie - sorry, so no comment from me.......

When I used to smoke, yes I can smoke on the Harley. The reference to driving is smoking is something I used to do a lot while driving. My job can sometimes require a lot of driving so the association is still there. She lives 2 hours away because that's where she lives, lol... The movie reference is from Outlaw Josey Wales.. The old indian guy said it.

Don, best of luck in your quit. I have been a non-smoker for about 8 years now and that's after smoking for 38 years. There is something so sinister and evil about cigarette smoking, it can be one of the most difficult addictions to overcome. Like you stated, everything can be a trigger, a smoker relates everything to smoking. It's not just a habit, it's a rewards system, it's a coping mechanism and after decades of smoking it becomes so ingrained into our thought process it's amazing that anyone actually ever stops for good. The psychological aspect of the addiction is what gave me the most trouble but I knew that if I stayed stopped long enough that would change eventually, and it did. I am fairly confident that I'll never pick up a cigarette ever again.

Once again best of luck in your quit, here are a few tips
Cold turkey is the most successful form of permanent smoking cessation.
Ice/chilled water kills cravings.
Keep your mind and body busy.
Another thing that helped me was utilizing some of the same practices used in 12 step programs. I did not tell myself I was gonna quit for good, hell I'd done that many many times before without any success. I simply set my goal for one day, I told myself that I was going to try and not smoke for that day, and did the same the next day, within time I stopped thinking about it entirely.

Well, I have made it a whole week. Sunday at 2045. I have not smoked and lost 8lbs. Today we start week 2. Cravings haven't been too bad. I actually have half a pack of cigarettes at the house laying on the bar. For me, it has to be a decision not to smoke instead of the panic of not having any to smoke. Might sound a little weird but it's working. Thanks so much for all the support. I'll keep you posted.

Well, I have made it a whole week. Sunday at 2045. I have not smoked and lost 8lbs. Today we start week 2. Cravings haven't been too bad. I actually have half a pack of cigarettes at the house laying on the bar. For me, it has to be a decision not to smoke instead of the panic of not having any to smoke. Might sound a little weird but it's working. Thanks so much for all the support. I'll keep you posted.

:thumbsup:

Way to Go Man... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'm right there with you .. I am 6 months into my journey.. I started at 266 lbs.. Im only 5'8", and had a lot of health problems to go with the weight. I don't eat more than 70 grams of carbs a day, no sugar at all, I run 2 to3 miles 5 times a week and I weight train. Im now down to 223 with 10 more pounds before I reach me goal weight range. I also started at 35% body fat I am now at 24.6%. Keep up the good work man, we are all rooting for you.

2015-01-23_17.46.41.jpg

10 days since this post.

How's it going Don? Still on the wagon?

Good for you man, i quit smoking over 4 years ago, and i did it cold turkey!
No patches, no gum, just finally wanted to quit.
As far the diet goes, way to go also. that is something i need to start!

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As of 2015 last evening, it has been 3 weeks since I quit smoking and I have lost 15lbs. The progress continues.... The cravings are not as bad as they were, but are not gone. Thanks for all the support.

Why is it that all the super Yummy foods are sooooooooooooooooooooo full of calories?

As I'm eating a salad....LOLOL!

It will all pay off though.... losing weight = more horsepower on the bike.

Well guys, last night at 2015 was 4 weeks, yup a month of no smoking... I've dropped 19.5lbs in the same time period. I can't really say that I feel any better. I do feel better about the fact that I'm not smoking and being more healthy and saving money. Physically I don't feel any different but I know the long term benefits are well worth it. Thanks again for all the support... I probably won't update anymore as I feel like I have this thing beat.

Back