GoPro Helmet Chin Mount

piratediverjefff

Registered
Decided to try the chin mount option and worked out great(also used the external mike under the seat with more foam secured around it and got some decent sound).Have also filed the mount a bit since this test video so camera will show a slightly higher viewpoint.

GoPro4ChinMount1-17-2015001_zpsa15c45fb.jpg

GoPro4ChinMount1-17-2015002_zpsacc23417.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just can't watch this with you not having gear on bro, I know where this ends...... Nice POV feel though. With the side camera mount there is some weirdness as you turn your head but the chin mount definitely feels like you are on the bike. That would really be interesting with the 3D GoPro setup. It sorta looks like you are falling off the bike backwards but this is a very compelling view as far as giving the viewer the feel of being on the bike. Maybe you could ride to those mountains in the background? :whistle:

Sound is good but maybe you want it a little dirty (wind and such). It's starting to sound a bit muffled. I think the whine I heard is the chain, not the transmission. The clunks on the shifting would be much cooler if you were geared up and shifting as fast a you can at 10,500 rpm. When you shift slow/low rpm there is a lose clunk noise to it.

This is good stuff, gear up and keep it coming!

This is just the frontage road(2 miles long)to my house and good for a quick test.Think I'll get out on the freeway and maybe up the Ortega in the morning and may try moving the mic a little closer to the pipe...and I'll shift at 11,500.:laugh:

The chin mount will be a hot view as you look through the turn. Don't think I've seen that caught very well before.

I just trimmed down the foam covering the mic and moved it a little closer to the pipe,have been sicker'n a dog all week but plan on going up the hill in the morning(and hopefully won't get run over by the Power Ranger crew in the process,full of Mark Marquez wannabees on the weekends seeing how far they can lean their little 600's over without going down...and usually a couple do :laugh:).

i like that mount. i wish the camera was a little smaller but like where u hav it mounted betr then on top. and yes gear up knucklehead! i know it probably 80 degree lol but a good pair of kevlar lined jeans and at least a nylon shell with protection will be far less uncomfortable then skin grafts

and where the fuk r ur gloves bro? cmon....

only issue i see with that mount is neck fatigue due to the extra weight

and where r all the snow plows? lol

They need all that gear...they tend to fall down a lot.:laugh:Just moved the mic down behind the right heel guard,will post up results tomorrow(it was a boring 79.4 degrees here today,probably the same tomorrow:laugh:).

i like that mount. i wish the camera was a little smaller but like where u hav it mounted betr then on top. and yes gear up knucklehead! i know it probably 80 degree lol but a good pair of kevlar lined jeans and at least a nylon shell with protection will be far less uncomfortable then skin grafts

and where the fuk r ur gloves bro? cmon....

only issue i see with that mount is neck fatigue due to the extra weight

and where r all the snow plows? lol

Agreed ^^^

You know Jeff, that we are only looking out for your safety and well-being.
It makes me wonder if when you were in IL did you ride with gloves, jacket etc.?

The last thing I want to do is preach to you or anyone else about what to do or wear.
We all have to make that decision for ourselves. So hopefully this will be the last time I mention this.
I assume your a good rider and maybe never had an accident? However we all know we can't control anyone else
for the most part. There appear to be a lot of people that shouldn't be on the road because they pose a danger to other drivers.
I'm referring mostly to young kids that text, do drugs etc and older people that either have or are beginning to have dementia.
Of course there are also tired/sleepy drivers too. Point is you can't control them and someday you may not be able to avoid them.
I think you get my point.

So of course it is your choice how to ride and how to dress for a ride.
One last point is, do you have kids? Friends? Are you showing them by example how you think it's OK to ride?

About the video. Yeah the chin mount seems OK. I just wish Go-Pro would come out with a camera the was just a little less wide angle.
But that's just me.

Don't get me wrong guys,I do appreciate the concern but I've always dressed for the ride and not the slide.I've crashed twice in 44 years,once in a T-shirt and the other in a sleeveless sweatshirt(without a helmet in AZ)and got a little rash on my left hand(along with numerous broken bones that gear wouldn't have prevented).I'll wear gloves and a leather jacket if it's cold out or if I'm going to be out most of the day but other than that I wear whatever feels comfortable at the time(if I felt I had to wear an abundance of gear every time I left the house I wouldn't even own a motorcycle,but to each his own preference).Kids are all grown and gone,scattered all over the country and haven't seen any of them in years so no foul there.I'd say in my case the lack of wearing a bunch of gear makes me even more cautious and careful not to push past what I feel are my limits,though I do have a bunch of ATGATT friends and most all have crashed within the past 12 months(the mindset being they're all geared up and rather than taking a 40 mph curve at 60 mph they try it at 80 mph and down they go).

Went on a ride today and still have a couple of bugs to work out with the camera,the chin mount worked great(until I tucked down a bit to run it through the gears and then I all filmed was the dash :laugh:)and the mic behind the right heel guard doesn't sound too bad.

Can ya post a picture of the helmet without the go pro attached. LIke to see what the helmet looks like with just the go pro mount attached.

Sure can bro.Gonna file the bracket a bit more though so I can tilt the camera back a little more.With this mount I could only get about 60-70% of the adhesive backing to make contact but still seems really solid(gave it the 150 mph test yesterday and it stayed put:laugh:).I guess I could've moved the mount slightly higher without affecting the chin vent,may still try that.

GoProChinMount1-19-15002_zps876214e2.jpg

GoProChinMount1-19-15003_zpse374a2b0.jpg

Just took that base off and put a new one on about a 1/2" higher(covers the breath guard but doesn't matter to me 'cause it never seemed to help with anti-fogging anyway,always have to raise the visor about a 1/4" for that :laugh:).

Back