Weekend project, Cerwin Vega D9's Oh YEAAAAH

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
I've had these speakers since the first year Kristie and I got married (25 yrs ago) I think they were the first piece of furniture we ever bought... Over time the foam on the woofers got brittle and cracked and I stopped using them. They stayed in the living room for the past 5 years not even hooked up and this week I decided that I would fix them. I ordered the foam kit from Simplyspeakers.com AWESOME company to work with and it took me about an hour of my time to fix and 4 hours of glue dry time... I ended up welding some stands that fit the base and I raised them 14 inches and are now using them as my computer speakers and man am I back into a little slice of rock heaven again...

You can see the woofer is cracked which makes for terrible sound of course...
1.jpg

The foam just came out in chunks, it was brittle and sticky at the same time..
2.jpg

I pulled out all the big pieces I could and then started cleaning out the small stuff so there would be a good surface to put the new foam kits.
3.jpg

More Cleaning
4.jpg

I used a very moist paper towel with isopropyl alcohol and dabbed it on the foam and it helped to make it dissolve.. Over and over being careful not to hurt the woofer.
5.jpg

That flat edge is where the new foam glues to the woofer..
7.jpg

I used my dremel and cleaned the aluminum woofer frame so the glue would stick well. They say you don't have to but my OCD told me it had to be done..
8.jpg

This is the outer edge, you wait for the inner to dry then you glue the edge to the aluminum..
9.jpg

Add the black pressure ring by gluing it right to the top of the foam.
11.jpg

let everything dry and VIOLA your done, new speakers for less than dinner.
12.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

The D9's were the biggest bass you could buy when I was in highschool. Nice to see a set getting some love!

Very Nice, Great job, ive re coned speakers my self, just time parts and patience!

Nice Job.

I have redone speakers just like you did.
Makes you feel good to have brought them back to life.

OCD can be a good thing. Don't ask me how I know. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

CV's are good stuff. I had 2 15" in the back of one of my cars years ago. The windows would actually flex out when the bass hit. I installed stereos for several years and never knew you could repair speakers like that. :thumbsup:

CV were a dorm favorite when I was in school. I was a bit of an audiophile in my early life so I actually knew a lot about speakers. I never reconditioned a set we would just replace the whole driver. There was a guy who would put his CV's in the window and turn the music up full blast while we played football and Frisbee in the courtyard below. I replaced his woofers 3 times and horn once.

8 ohms, easy to drive.
101db sensitivity 1w at 1m, :thumbsup: no wonder they play loud!

85 lbs, they just don't build them like that anymore (unless you are willing to pay A fortune.)

By the way, what are you driving them with?

ken
cheers

cerwin.jpg

Over the years I have driven them with everything from Sony tuners, Crown, Peavey, Harmon Kardon... I am looking for a deal now to get a 500 or 1000 watt amp with the inputs I want...

I liked the CV speakers but my favorite speakers were my Carver ALIII's. Loved the pure sound of the ribbons. Great job on refoaming the speakers! :beerchug:

awesome job. what glue do you use. I have a set of Infinity Studio Pro's120 that need the same thing done. Had them since 1987. They dried out about 10 years ago and have been sitting in my computer room unused. Shop wanted 150.00 to fix. So I went out and brought a set of Infinity Beta 40's.

awesome job. what glue do you use. I have a set of Infinity Studio Pro's120 that need the same thing done. Had them since 1987. They dried out about 10 years ago and have been sitting in my computer room unused. Shop wanted 150.00 to fix. So I went out and brought a set of Infinity Beta 40's.

Go to simplyspeakers.com (Ebay) and you can get a kit that comes with the foam and the glue they recommend.

Infinity Speaker Repair Foam Edge Kits

8 ohms, easy to drive.
101db sensitivity 1w at 1m, :thumbsup: no wonder they play loud!

85 lbs, they just don't build them like that anymore (unless you are willing to pay A fortune.)

By the way, what are you driving them with?

ken
cheers

Ken I couldn't stand it anymore... The receiver I had just couldn't drive them so I obtained a QSC GX3 Amp and connected it all to a Harbinger 5 channel mixer... My computer speakers ROCK! :guitar:

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

I obtained a QSC GX3 Amp...
My computer speakers ROCK!

With your ("computer" LOL ) speakers at 101db sensitivity and your new amp putting out 300 watts a side. I have no doubt they rock!

:laugh::thumbsup:

cheers
ken

very nice! didn't know that was possible, guess i have another item on the "to do" list :beerchug:

i run all my sound equipment through my pc. I built a custom machine strictly for gaming and home entertainment. 8 core processor with 16 gigs of mem 4 g speed over clocked.the pc also has 2 gigs of onboard mem and has the most wonderful graphics i have ever seen. I am using 3 harmon k apms 1 for each sub and the other for the surround system. The subs are 2 kicker 18 in solo x. The harmon k amps for the subs are rated at 2000 watts each and the other for the surrounds is 500 watts. I like harmon k. Good strong high amperage equipment

Back