who needs a turbo?

Very interesting thread.... I'm not pushing this at all just asking a question. Carpenter makes a 235 - 245 hp package for $4600. Is this a viable alternative to the turbo world?

I've PMed GNBRETT about turbos as well, I'm intrigued... looks like I'll be moving to the lower 48 in a few months (thanks USAF) so I'll be closer to people who know how to tune bikes! A pump gas turbo is what I'm interested in too. They seem amazing, best of all worlds - reliable, powerful, and still don't pigeonhole the busa into one type of riding (i.e. 1/4 mile only).
My questions is - is it pretty much a given that you have to have an extended swing arm - and how much do you guys that have turbo busas with stretched swing arms feel that it impacts your handling?

A turbo doesn't eliminate you from riding on the side of the tire but it does handicap that area of riding. Throttle control seems to be the issue. Nobody road races with a turbo and there is a reason for that. Most of your time is spent leaned over where big HP is totally useless and difficult to manage. We do however see turbo bikes arrive at the track, some go through the riding school. I've had them on occasion as students and those turbo charged bikes eat everyone's lunch on the front straight but don't do very well on the rest of the track.

Your bone stock busa either spins the rear or lifts the front coming off the corner. You can't use any additional power until the bike is vertical and the front tire is back on the ground. IMO if your goal is to improve your skills on the side of the tire, a turbo would not be in your best interest. If you are a straight line guy, no problem in seeing 200 mph! :thumbsup:

Very interesting thread.... I'm not pushing this at all just asking a question. Carpenter makes a 235 - 245 hp package for $4600. Is this a viable alternative to the turbo world?

Yes exactly. I didn't really mean "who needs a turbo" as I know there is nothing about a Hayabusa (even stock) that would fall under "need". I was really asking what would you do with all that power on the street. I have a healthy respect for the 181 hp I already have but I feel like I can use all of that when I want to and it's completely "easy". I don't think I can ride the roads any faster safely, and I don't race. But I was thinking maybe a stage 1 where I get in the 250 - 260 range would be fun without making a bike I have to be afraid of or that can land me in a ditch with the slightest miscalculation. But to your point, a NA build is something to consider. 1Busa ended up going NA on his build and I think I'm sort of there. Still, the turbo technology is very exciting to me and I want to build it more than ride it.

A turbo doesn't eliminate you from riding on the side of the tire but it does handicap that area of riding. Throttle control seems to be the issue. Nobody road races with a turbo and there is a reason for that. Most of your time is spent leaned over where big HP is totally useless and difficult to manage. We do however see turbo bikes arrive at the track, some go through the riding school. I've had them on occasion as students and those turbo charged bikes eat everyone's lunch on the front straight but don't do very well on the rest of the track.

Your bone stock busa either spins the rear or lifts the front coming off the corner. You can't use any additional power until the bike is vertical and the front tire is back on the ground. IMO if your goal is to improve your skills on the side of the tire, a turbo would not be in your best interest. If you are a straight line guy, no problem in seeing 200 mph! :thumbsup:

Yes I hear you on this and that is my dilemma. I really love turning and I'm going to the track this year to learn more about it. Seems like a turbo is sort not there for those goals. That's why I was thinking I need a second bike to really have a turbo.

For those of you that have turbos, are there any long term reliability issues with running a FI engine?

I did a lot of research on all 3 before deciding. Motor, Nitrous, Turbo. Motor on the street at that level seems to put a lot more stress on bearings, bucks stuff like that. Less MPGs all the time. Nitrous has the be turned on and you have to keep filling it. Nitrous stations around me are far and few between. Turbo you can get better pistons,rods etc but they aren't high compression, more lift (cams) just stronger. Stay out of boost (gearing) and you get the same MPGs as stock. Never has to be turned on and you don't run out of boost. I have came across a couple guys with a stage 1 on a gen1 with over 30,000 and no problem. For me Turbo wins for my riding style.

Fallen have you looked at a GOLDWING as your second bike not as fast as the BM but spare parts and service is a lot cheaper for the honda than a BM :thumbsup:

If you are looking for 250 hp you will need to go into the engine on a gen II. You will either have to replace the Pistons to turbo Pistons or spacer and degree your cams. I think you also will need to replace the ti valves for stainless. I have a built NA Busa and my turbo gen II and they both are fun to ride. The NA is instant always on power but too much power all the time on the street is hard in bearing as someone said. The turbo is there when you want to use it and feels stock when you don't. As far as corners are concerned, once you learn where your boost comes in at different gears and different speeds and throttle position you can still ride the way you want. I have a 240 in my turbo and still lay it on the corner as much as I can. It's all about throttle control just as it is now.

Yes I hear you on this and that is my dilemma. I really love turning and I'm going to the track this year to learn more about it. Seems like a turbo is sort not there for those goals. That's why I was thinking I need a second bike to really have a turbo.

I think you are on the right track Arch. I chose the Kawi Concours for my daily ride and trips. I am happy with that choice. Was the best bang for the buck that I could find. The BMW has some goodies that the concours don't but I wasn't interested in bling. I do wish my concours had cruise control though.

Track days are all about cornering and I don't think you would be happy on the side of the tire with a turbo. If a turbo made a good track bike you'd see lots of them. As is, we see maybe one a month if that? I do want to see you out on the track enjoying yourself this summer Buster! As a matter of fact, if you want to bring your big butt up here I'll treat you to a track day!

Yes exactly. I didn't really mean "who needs a turbo" as I know there is nothing about a Hayabusa (even stock) that would fall under "need". I was really asking what would you do with all that power on the street. I have a healthy respect for the 181 hp I already have but I feel like I can use all of that when I want to and it's completely "easy". I don't think I can ride the roads any faster safely, and I don't race. But I was thinking maybe a stage 1 where I get in the 250 - 260 range would be fun without making a bike I have to be afraid of or that can land me in a ditch with the slightest miscalculation. But to your point, a NA build is something to consider. 1Busa ended up going NA on his build and I think I'm sort of there. Still, the turbo technology is very exciting to me and I want to build it more than ride it.

I would say, talk a friend into letting you ride one and see what you think. You are either going to be scared away and say forget it....or you'll say I want and will do almost anything to have a Turbo bike. I'm warning you though, once you have one NOTHING else will feel fast from that point on.

If you don't really care, I'd go with a good setup from Knecum making 230whp+ for a few thousand. If you're going to spend $10k for a Turbo you may as well spend a few more and make 350whp+. No reason to **** around with a lowly 250-260.. :laugh:

I would say, talk a friend into letting you ride one and see what you think. You are either going to be scared away and say forget it....or you'll say I want and will do almost anything to have a Turbo bike. I'm warning you though, once you have one NOTHING else will feel fast from that point on.

If you don't really care, I'd go with a good setup from Knecum making 230whp+ for a few thousand. If you're going to spend $10k for a Turbo you may as well spend a few more and make 350whp+. No reason to **** around with a lowly 250-260.. :laugh:

Buddy of mine let me drive his 1000 HP mustang... its ruined me for life!

yea and the funny thing is ppl think at 300 hp ull never need or want more. I got good traction at 335 hp with a hookup so I'm sure I will still get good traction at 400 hp with the power one I have. from a roll I think ur good to 500 hp.

Buddy of mine let me drive his 1000 HP mustang... its ruined me for life!
that how I felt when I got my first ride in my buddys Buick GN who went 8.20 with it and rides on the street. Im happy with my low 10 second GN cause traction becomes an issue any faster but yea once u get a taste of them G-Forces pulling against ur body u crave them like a junky craves jolly ranchers:)

that how I felt when I got my first ride in my buddys Buick GN who went 8.20 with it and rides on the street. Im happy with my low 10 second GN cause traction becomes an issue any faster but yea once u get a taste of them G-Forces pulling against ur body u crave them like a junky craves jolly ranchers:)

currently 8.70 in the mustang - street legal too - going for 8.50. @ 8.49 local track requires funny car cage and he says there's no way its street-able at that point... I think hes WAY past that but its not my money pit, i just get to drive it.

Do a big bore engine but keep the compression reasonable. Much better, USABLE hp. Better street manners too. Plus you can do high speed blasts and not burn the Pistons. You won't get 300 hp or above with pump gas going turbo. I've been there, done that noise

Do a big bore engine but keep the compression reasonable. Much better, USABLE hp. Better street manners too. Plus you can do high speed blasts and not burn the Pistons. You won't get 300 hp or above with pump gas going turbo. I've been there, done that noise

I thought with intercooler 400 hp was doable?

Fallenarch-sold the Busa for the K1600GTL. Bags come off fast to be somewhat sporty looking. The BMW is fast by touring bike standards but not too bad after owning a Hayabusa for 10 years. Smooth and comfy. Check this out on engine vibration.
Being able to own only one bike and having my wife ride comfortably, BMW was the choice. Goldwings are sweet but dated IMO and that is why I passed on the wing. Test ride the BMW and make sure you have your checkbook handy!

011.jpg

001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back