Gen 1 1397 vs. 14r

vailes3705

Registered
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not but I'm curoius to know if any of you Gen 1 1397 owners have run up against the 14r yet. Street or track. Just curious to know how the 1397 stacks up against the new 14r. I could be wrong, but it seems to me the 14r would have to be modified some to be able to run with a 1397 Gen 1.

haven't seen any 14s yet , but i'm looking. I believe it will be very close

I haven't met any 14's on the street and I'm always down for a little action. :laugh: I did run into a stock BMW S1000RR the other night and gave him a pretty good spankin'. :poke:

I haven't met any 14's on the street and I'm always down for a little action. :laugh: I did run into a stock BMW S1000RR the other night and gave him a pretty good spankin'. :poke:

Awesome!! Good to show those Beemer boys that the Busa is still runnin things:thumbsup:

I'll be the first to say it's up to the rider. So far I've raced two new 14's with my stock motor Gen-2 and I spanked them both. One was because of the rider, the other was a good rider but the bike was bone stock, down to the paper license plate.

That said, the 14 motor is pretty well built and they put down some great numbers both at the track and on the dyno. The Busa would have to be built pretty strong to hang with the 14. I don't know if a pump gas 1397 is going to be stronger than the 14.

Come on over to Bradenton Motorsports Park Bradenton, Florida and i'll be happy to show you .. :laugh::beerchug:

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place or not but I'm curoius to know if any of you Gen 1 1397 owners have run up against the 14r yet. Street or track. Just curious to know how the 1397 stacks up against the new 14r. I could be wrong, but it seems to me the 14r would have to be modified some to be able to run with a 1397 Gen 1.
Well you don't have a 1397 motor but you do have a 40 shot .. I can set you up with a Gen 2 zx14 in TX and see how you do .. The rider is good and he weighs in at 210 pounds .. He has a few less mods than you but he would be happy to run you ..

I'll be the first to say it's up to the rider. So far I've raced two new 14's with my stock motor Gen-2 and I spanked them both. One was because of the rider, the other was a good rider but the bike was bone stock, down to the paper license plate.

That said, the 14 motor is pretty well built and they put down some great numbers both at the track and on the dyno. The Busa would have to be built pretty strong to hang with the 14. I don't know if a pump gas 1397 is going to be stronger than the 14.
So true .. I know lots of guys with big motors and some with turbos that can't out run anyone .. The bike has the power but the rider has no skills .. I see it every week at the track .. I can tell you this , the ZX14R has and will lose to a slower bike with a skilled rider . Just part of life .. Just becarefull who you drop the hammer on .. If you see a 56 year old skinny guy in FL on a blue ZX14R be very carefull .. :)

So true .. I know lots of guys with big motors and some with turbos that can't out run anyone .. The bike has the power but the rider has no skills .. I see it every week at the track .. I can tell you this , the ZX14R has and will lose to a slower bike with a skilled rider . Just part of life .. Just becarefull who you drop the hammer on .. If you see a 56 year old skinny guy in FL on a blue ZX14R be very carefull .. :)

I hear ya! I made a pass on my buddy's turbo Busa a few weeks ago. First time ever on one, and it was like "Hey, you should take my bike for a pass." as the track guy in the staging lane was waving him out. I really looked stupid, killed it twice before the burnout, rolled out of the burnout under power and found out you can't pull the clutch on a lockup when the rpm's are up. Killed it at the line trying to leave, looked down and saw I was in 6th gear .... yea, the owner had it in 6th gear messing with the air shifter and I just did a 180 mph burnout. He has trouble bogging on the leave because he's afraid of it so when I restaged I came out at 7500 rpm's and blew the tire away. I sat up and then decided to get back in it and went a high 9 at 164 mph without looking at the tach (too much pucker factor when I shifted into 2nd gear with 14 psi) and I'm pretty sure I shifted at least 8 times. So yea, whoever was next to me could have claimed to beat a 387 hp turbo Busa.

You know who the stock blue 14 with a paper plate belongs to.

Just so you don't think I'm an easy win, here are a couple timeslips from my last time out. This was after competition, just before the track closed for the day. N/A stock motor '08, 63-1/2", pump gas with over 1900 ft DA. I've been fighting the clutch the last year or so and this day was no exception. The run on the right was with the front tire on the ground and a bog, then I tried to leave harder and earned a big wheelie that I rode out the first two gears. I just put in new inner and outer clutch baskets and a new clutch this weekend so hopefully my 60's will get back to where they should be instead of these embarrassing numbers. I'm also going to switch to E-85 so if all works out well I should be able to knock off most of three tenths on a good run. Of course there is always someone faster.

P1030783.jpg

I hear ya! I made a pass on my buddy's turbo Busa a few weeks ago. First time ever on one, and it was like "Hey, you should take my bike for a pass." as the track guy in the staging lane was waving him out. I really looked stupid, killed it twice before the burnout, rolled out of the burnout under power and found out you can't pull the clutch on a lockup when the rpm's are up. Killed it at the line trying to leave, looked down and saw I was in 6th gear .... yea, the owner had it in 6th gear messing with the air shifter and I just did a 180 mph burnout. He has trouble bogging on the leave because he's afraid of it so when I restaged I came out at 7500 rpm's and blew the tire away. I sat up and then decided to get back in it and went a high 9 at 164 mph without looking at the tach (too much pucker factor when I shifted into 2nd gear with 14 psi) and I'm pretty sure I shifted at least 8 times. So yea, whoever was next to me could have claimed to beat a 387 hp turbo Busa.

You know who the stock blue 14 with a paper plate belongs to.

Just so you don't think I'm an easy win, here are a couple timeslips from my last time out. This was after competition, just before the track closed for the day. N/A stock motor '08, 63-1/2", pump gas with over 1900 ft DA. I've been fighting the clutch the last year or so and this day was no exception. The run on the right was with the front tire on the ground and a bog, then I tried to leave harder and earned a big wheelie that I rode out the first two gears. I just put in new inner and outer clutch baskets and a new clutch this weekend so hopefully my 60's will get back to where they should be instead of these embarrassing numbers. I'm also going to switch to E-85 so if all works out well I should be able to knock off most of three tenths on a good run. Of course there is always someone faster.

P1030783.jpg
Great numbers for having 60 foot problems .. Your bike is making good power to MPH like that .. You get the clutch dailed in i can see some low 8.70s no problem .. :beerchug:
You will like the E85 once you get it tunned .. I have seen anywhere from 7 to 9 HP by switching to E85 ..

Great numbers for having 60 foot problems .. Your bike is making good power to MPH like that .. You get the clutch dailed in i can see some low 8.70s no problem .. :beerchug:
You will like the E85 once you get it tunned .. I have seen anywhere from 7 to 9 HP by switching to E85 ..

I've been low 1.4's on it, but that was two summers ago. Since then I've bought a shock and replaced the fixed lowering links with adjustables to properly set the height and I haven't been able to get it to work. E85 seems to have shaved a tenth and added 2-3 mph to my buddy's bike, so benchracing my bike with a good 60' and E-85 I could see some 8.60's that day. I seem to have about one good day a year though ...

I knew a click of guys that I use to ride with in MI and 3 of them had newer GenII's and a couple of them had 14's, I'm not that heroic of a rider, but I hung pretty tough with the 14's on my Gen I, but the Gen II's took the 14's pretty hands down. Not like it was a walk in the park, but pretty consistent on the plus side :laugh:

Well you don't have a 1397 motor but you do have a 40 shot .. I can set you up with a Gen 2 zx14 in TX and see how you do .. The rider is good and he weighs in at 210 pounds .. He has a few less mods than you but he would be happy to run you ..

I also have a 2011 ZX14 set up about the same way as the Busa, just without the nitrous. I have to spray the Busa to match my times on the 14. Maybe because the 14 is easier to launch or maybe cause I'm not all that great at launching yet. So if I have to spray to beat a Gen 1 14, then I don't think nitrous will be enough to beat the 14r. That's why I ask the orginal question. I'm debating on the 1397 kit in the Busa, just don't know if it will be enough to match up with the newer bikes since big horsepower is obviously gonna be the wave of the future. It would be fun the run the 14r though, with the Busa or the 14. Does your guy live anywhere near Houston?

I knew a click of guys that I use to ride with in MI and 3 of them had newer GenII's and a couple of them had 14's, I'm not that heroic of a rider, but I hung pretty tough with the 14's on my Gen I, but the Gen II's took the 14's pretty hands down. Not like it was a walk in the park, but pretty consistent on the plus side :laugh:

I dunno. From what I've seen a Gen-2 Busa vs a Gen-1 14 is as even a match as you'll find at the strip if they are set up the same with equal riders. My Gen-1 Busa wasn't close to the 14.

I always ride wide of any old guy on a rocket just because I don't like getting my butt handed to me. No amount of power can replace experience.

Back