Pretty Sure I Broke a Shift Fork!

Is there any way to take pics from your snake cam? Definitely keep us updated.

It doesn't take photos unfortunately. But I'll take pics of the tranny and everything to keep you guys posted as I go.

Well,

Dropped the motor yesterday and pulled the trans. Absolutely nothing wrong with the forks. However, 1st gear will not turn in place on the output shaft. There is some heat scoring on the outboard side of it, and the washer is chewed right up. There is also a bent up retainer (from the washer I'm assuming on the inboard side of the gear). I can't get the gear pulled off the shaft, even with heat, so it might have to be pulled.

I'm going to pull the jet from the oil jet to that bearing and check it out to ensure it isn't plugged and also ensure that the gallery to that jet isn't plugged.

Looks like I'm gonna get the trans built with a heavy duty output shaft, undercut gears, and beefed right up. Going to do new shift shafts and forks as well.

Nothing is wrong with the cases or anything else! So I'm in the clear there.

Here's some pics for ya.

DSC_0417.jpg

DSC_0420.JPG

DSC_0422.JPG

Let me know on the tranny work can have it all done for you. You still have some credit here.

Well,

Dropped the motor yesterday and pulled the trans. Absolutely nothing wrong with the forks. However, 1st gear will not turn in place on the output shaft. There is some heat scoring on the outboard side of it, and the washer is chewed right up. There is also a bent up retainer (from the washer I'm assuming on the inboard side of the gear). I can't get the gear pulled off the shaft, even with heat, so it might have to be pulled.

I'm going to pull the jet from the oil jet to that bearing and check it out to ensure it isn't plugged and also ensure that the gallery to that jet isn't plugged.

Looks like I'm gonna get the trans built with a heavy duty output shaft, undercut gears, and beefed right up. Going to do new shift shafts and forks as well.

Nothing is wrong with the cases or anything else! So I'm in the clear there.

Question for you pros. If I wanted to make sure that the oil jet to that one bearing by the 1st gear driven cog was clear and I pull it out an there's nothing in the jet, how would I go about ensuring that the gallery is clear without having another failure. I'm trying to think of how to flush the system with the cases apart while that jet is out.

Could I use compressed air while the jet is out and just remove one of the gallery main bolts on the exterior of the block and use an air fitting and just blow air into it? Not try to pressurize it or anything, but a bit of thrust and flow through the system to try and push through the jet on the output side.

Or how could I flush it in place? Currently the bottom case is off and the block is upside down.

Or would you remove the bolt the us just beside that one jet on the oil gallery in the clutch housing and blow into the jet and back out that bolt into the clutch housing? I've attached a pic for reference.. The bolt I'm talking about is directly below the oil jet, connected to the gallery with the small sprayers that go to the trans, right beside the number 2.

I really just wanna make sure I don't have this issue again. Especially when I upgrade the bugger...

oil jet.jpg

I'm also thinking that I may have a plugged oil get on the 1st gear bushing. If you have a look at this attachment, this is the output shaft, clutch side oiling system. You can see that the oil comes through the jet and then into the output shaft (arrow going down, and then to the left). The first arrow that is heading left, has another arrow going up or vertical. This is the oil feed to the 1st gear bushing. So I'm wondering if mine got clogged and that is the failure there. Of course I can't get the cog off now, but thinking that may have been the issue. The other cogs look good from what I can see, and if so, then that one is the issue.

1st gear.jpg

Back