Packing for the long haul

superbeagle

Registered
What does everyone make sure to bring on a long road trip. Things you don't leave without. I have some ideas but curious as to what everyone else thinks.

Tarp, small tent, flashlight, power hookup for electronics (so you can charge stuff on the bike), Towel, Frog togs raingear (rolls up super small), Throttle boss or a throttle lock (for LONG days), Camel back, MUSIC, Camera, light and heavy jacket, clothes and shoes. That's about all I took when I went around the country. I stayed at KOA campgrounds the whole way, they have a store, pools, and laundry. I was gone for a month an hit 39 states

How long is long, and what is the nature of the trip? What states the trip would take me through could also influence certain items taken.. (or left)

Tarp, small tent, flashlight, power hookup for electronics (so you can charge stuff on the bike), Towel, Frog togs raingear (rolls up super small), Throttle boss or a throttle lock (for LONG days), Camel back, MUSIC, Camera, light and heavy jacket, clothes and shoes. That's about all I took when I went around the country. I stayed at KOA campgrounds the whole way, they have a store, pools, and laundry. I was gone for a month an hit 39 states

Do you have a picture of your bike loaded up with all the above stuff?

A couple changes of clothes. DOPP Kit. Just remember anything you need can be bought locally except alcohol :laugh:

With the advent of smart phones you don't really need to bring a laptop or camera, just a phone charger :poke:

personally, I carry a can of fix-a-flat and plug kit, compass, map, bedroll, tent, hammock, 2 shirts, 2 pants, 2 pair socks, towel, enough paracord to hang myself twice, knife, pistol, ammo, a can of beanie weenies, rainsuit, electrical tape, extra hoodie, if its going to be cold I add blizzard proof coveralls and heavy winter gloves.

if your just going down the road for a quick 500mi ride, just pack an extra hoodie, tire fix kit, and a credit card.

A credit card can cover almost anything you might ever need on a short trip.

oh and heres a pic.

599362_658059674217950_682487726_n.jpg

A couple changes of clothes. DOPP Kit. Just remember anything you need can be bought locally except alcohol :laugh:

With the advent of smart phones you don't really need to bring a laptop or camera, just a phone charger :poke:

So true... Another side of that is that phone service is spotty in Robbinsville, and basically nonexistent in the surrounding mountains. If you're unfamiliar with the area and riding alone, a map wouldn't be a terrible idea short of a dedicated GPS unit.

other than what's already mentioned, i also carry a quickstand, chain lube, Honda Polish, an extra bungee net, clear shield for my helmet, sunglasses, and a spare key for the bike just in case

Funny thing was (and I have video of it) was that we went around a great right hander but it had a line of gravel on it. I made the corner just fine and the rider behind me on a gixxer1000 came off and his luggage was underwear and a tiny pop up tent :p he and bike were fine. Just scuffs. People did take the piss out of him for it as you could see my bike make it :D

I make sure to befriend people who are too wimpy to ride, so they trailer their bikes, and carry my luggage.

Don't forget a spare key. Everything else has been covered including the spare key, but that one's pretty important. :laugh:

wow..

no way i would ever load up my ride like that..

if it dont fit in a backpack , it stays home

if i wanna long haul and load up to that point, ill just rent a Electraglide for the week or something..

but kudos too all that enjoy it with there busa..

:bowdown:

other than what's already mentioned, i also carry a quickstand, chain lube, Honda Polish, an extra bungee net, clear shield for my helmet, sunglasses, and a spare key for the bike just in case

Wheelers normally has bike stands and chain cleaner / wax outside for free :poke:

wow..

no way i would ever load up my ride like that..

if it dont fit in a backpack , it stays home

if i wanna long haul and load up to that point, ill just rent a Electraglide for the week or something..

but kudos too all that enjoy it with there busa..

:bowdown:

Maybe it's just me but I started off with the back pack and on trips they're a pain in the back. I bought soft bags and have really enjoyed trips since. I still back pack it to my dealer for oil and parts, but that's only a hundred mile round trip.

Maybe it's just me but I started off with the back pack and on trips they're a pain in the back. I bought soft bags and have really enjoyed trips since. I still back pack it to my dealer for oil and parts, but that's only a hundred mile round trip.

I have never liked riding with a backpack. I prefer a tank bag for the small stuff.

when I 1st started touring, I looked a lot like a cross between the B-King above and the Beverley Hillbillies.
over he years I have thinned it down a bunch.
now I keep an army duffle ready to roll for the long trips. short trips I use soft saddlebags. the tank bag is always on there with a fix a flat kit and extra sweatshirt.

you will pack too much on your first few trips. I don't know why, that's just the way it is. :beerchug:

Back