Supermoto......

My co worker has a KTM 525...s I think. Anyway, loves his bike but did say his engine almost seems like a wearable item. He does put a lot of hard use on it, black rock and saline valley a few times a year each. Not toooo many street miles. I know he has had the engine worked on (at least partial rebuild) a few times. One admittedly was his fault, cleaned the air filter late the night before saline and didn't get it back on correctly. Sucked in "tons" of dirt he says.

Other than that, he just said the stock headlight sucks. But I know he wouldn't trade it for anything.

My co worker has a KTM 525...s I think. Anyway, loves his bike but did say his engine almost seems like a wearable item. He does put a lot of hard use on it, black rock and saline valley a few times a year each. Not toooo many street miles. I know he has had the engine worked on (at least partial rebuild) a few times. One admittedly was his fault, cleaned the air filter late the night before saline and didn't get it back on correctly. Sucked in "tons" of dirt he says.

Other than that, he just said the stock headlight sucks. But I know he wouldn't trade it for anything.
wow motor rebuild a few times. how long has he had the bike? I'm sure how hard its ridden plays a huge roll in that tho. off road riding is gonna be much harder on the motor then on road.

I wud think there is an upgrade to the stock headlight. I'm sure an HID kit wud help.

This post is the result of a lot of lookin and reading and talkin to folks....the hot set up, kind of top of the heap, is a KTM EXC 525 6 speed with a Baja Designs Dual Sport conversion kit (about $450 bucks). With mine, I was amazed how it can power up a 24% gametrail face then 20 minutes later, run along @ 65-70 mph on a highway. The dual sport kit and the big fueltank has made this bike so special and capable for me, big recommendations! Doyle

wow motor rebuild a few times. how long has he had the bike? I'm sure how hard its ridden plays a huge roll in that tho. off road riding is gonna be much harder on the motor then on road.

I wud think there is an upgrade to the stock headlight. I'm sure an HID kit wud help.

His dad had it since new. So it's been getting similar treatment off road since I think it was an 06? Definitely not new or newish in any way lol. Yea I'd put an hid or led headlight.

I had a 2008 Husky SM610 for about a year, put 2600 miles on it. Awesome bike, I had zero problems with it. I was even hit by a truck and was able to ride it home with no issues. I sold it because the gas mileage suck, 112 miles and it was empty(ran out of gas twice). Because of that I didnt ride it much. I do miss it and I will get another one day.

20130910.jpg

The DRZ is gonna be the cheapest(to buy and to maintain) and most plentiful. Its still lots of fun to ride.

What a beautiful bike! Seems that, with an oversized Clark fueltank, that would be a perfect ride...

Some favorite parts of my KTM are...bigger tank, petcock with reserve, small digital speedo/odometer and electric start! It feels weird to me to be way back in Nevada backcountry, looking down at the transparent tank, and noticing the fuel is still near the top! (1st pic is 1.9 gal, 2nd pic is 3.2 gal)

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004 (13).jpg

Some favorite parts of my KTM are...bigger tank, petcock with reserve, small digital speedo/odometer and electric start! It feels weird to me to be way back in Nevada backcountry, looking down at the transparent tank, and noticing the fuel is still near the top! (1st pic is 1.9 gal, 2nd pic is 3.2 gal)
that thing must haul ass in the woods. I had a CR250 that I use to race locally and it was brutal in the woods. chit, my 125 was brutal in the woods and sand.

that thing must haul ass in the woods. I had a CR250 that I use to race locally and it was brutal in the woods. chit, my 125 was brutal in the woods and sand.

I just had a CRF 250 (great bike) but (being 215 lbs) on a crazy steep singletrack mountainside, I came near killing the engine, lugging it in 1st gear...and it was too steep to slip the clutch. That same climb on the KTM just torqued up like it wasn't even steep! After 12 years in Reno, I'm finally really getting to explore the outback. Scott (Isiahstites) and I have done some great woods riding up in the Sierras, lookin forward to more when the snow melts.

I just had a CRF 250 (great bike) but (being 215 lbs) on a crazy steep singletrack mountainside, I came near killing the engine, lugging it in 1st gear...and it was too steep to slip the clutch. That same climb on the KTM just torqued up like it wasn't even steep! After 12 years in Reno, I'm finally really getting to explore the outback. Scott (Isiahstites) and I have done some great woods riding up in the Sierras, lookin forward to more when the snow melts.
well I weigh the same. never did any mountain climbing tho. man u live in a great place must be so much to do out there havn the desert and the mountains nearby.

CRF250(4stroke) and CR250(2stroke) are night and day. To those reading this that don't already know that.
The CR will crush the CRF everywhere. Nothing beats a 2-stroke, it's a shame they're fading away.
I get a kick out hearing folks say that "You have to ride a 2 stroke wide open everywhere to get it to perform"....uh, yeah, what's the problem?:laugh:
We know they creep along just fine too.

Get a CR500 and a bigger gas tank and be done with it...cheaper too.

What a beautiful bike! Seems that, with an oversized Clark fueltank, that would be a perfect ride...

Safari was the only company I found that made a tank for the fuel injected 610/630. It was 6.6 gallons and looks real out of place on a supermoto.

Safari was the only company I found that made a tank for the fuel injected 610/630. It was 6.6 gallons and looks real out of place on a supermoto.

Wow, that's a big tank! I understand your point, about 2 gallons too big.....

CRF250(4stroke) and CR250(2stroke)
I get a kick out hearing folks say that "You have to ride a 2 stroke wide open everywhere to get it to perform"....uh, yeah, what's the problem?:laugh:
lol nice. yea my CR250 was ballzy. nvr ridden a 4 stroke although I did want to try a CR500 but my CR250 was down right dangerous on the trails so I never saw the need.

I think for the street the 2 stroke probably wudnt be a wise choice but chit my buddy had an RZ350 and it was nasty!

For sheer arm stretching "OMG, I hope there's no trenches coming up" speed, yes, the old open class 2 strokes are monsters (I've had 2 CR 500's and a YZ 490). But remember this thread started about supermoto and I believe when the criteria for a motard and/or dualsport are analyzed, a modern 4 stroke thumper simply works better. The KTM 525 (with oil cooler) will float along at 65-70 mph for hours on a highway, has electric start, is fairly quiet, way better fuel economy and is really both big end fast AND low end torquey....and still only weighs 246 pounds! All us Busa folks love the "big end" but I've also learned to love putting through a meadow watching a buck grazing as a part of my ride! Doyle

Back