anyone convert a 4x6 to haul your busa

kendall

Registered
I came across this little 4x6 trailer before I bought my bike to use to haul stuff like yard waste and whatever behind the jeep. Well I'm thinking I would like to trailer the bike up the the black hills so I can have both the jeep and the bike to play on. I'm thinking about cutting the front rail and putting a wheel chock of some kind up there. It seems like a good solid trailer. I also have some 17" wheel's from my jeep with some 31" tall tires I'd like to mount on it also.

Any of you guys/gals do anything like this or would I be better off selling it and buying a bigger trailer, which i'd rather not do. Lets see what you've done and yes I've looked at pretty much every trailer in this section :)
http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...ory_rn=&top_category=&urlLangId=&cm_vc=-10005

Last edited:
Self-Locking Motorcycle Wheel Chock

Mount one of these to the front of the trailer using some good strong hardware and loctite. Add a pair of good tie down points at the front corners of the trailer. Canyon dancer for the bars, couple extra straps for security on the back and you should be good to go. We set up a similar trailer in this fashion for a buddies 900rr. Plenty of miles with no issues. Bigger wheels and tires will help stability on the highway, not sure about 17s and 31s on such a small trailer though! Another friend just made the trip to TX2k14 with his R1 using a similar trailer behind a BMW sedan and had no issues.

that's the wheel chock I was looking at. Planning on putting a C channel down the middle for a little added weight and solid track for the tires to run down.
image_23163.jpg

1034.jpg

Any recommendations on tires/wheels. I had these off the jeep but I have no clue how well they would work. Would the stock tires/wheels work ok? Maybe just make sure they are greased good and air pressure is good?

I'll give you my $.02 since I trailer quite a bit.

First the 31" tires most likely won't fit on there without serious modification nor would you want that "bouncy" of a tire.
Second, is a 6' trailer going to be long enough for the busa? Especially with a chock in the front?
Third, skip the steel channel, you'll wind up using the trailer for more than you think, and it'll be in the way trust me.

The price isn't bad, but you should be able to find a used 5x8 trailer with a ramp for about the same price in my opinion, especially if you aren't in a hurry to buy one.

Second, is a 6' trailer going to be long enough for the busa? Especially with a chock in the front?

I'll cut the front railing and mount the chock on the tongue which will extend it the foot needed and add some bracing to make sure its solid. It has a pretty long tongue so I think it will work. I'll also watch craigslist for a bigger on in the mean time.
b8f87b34-e11c-474e-9f94-01b2fda03d5b_zps90b40adc.jpg

Dont use the wheel chock you have pictured, they break, if you get the Harbor Freight one, get the Condor clone.

Bots you need to post up yours in the Busa lock setup you have. Baxley front with a pit bull rear. The proverbial sledge hammer method of trailering. Cause thats what you would need to get that bike to tip over.

Forgot about that, you're right, I've had one break. Use this one:
349657012_BKDPz-L.jpg

I've got that one in the garage...it's been holding the Nomad all winter. For my trailer, a 4'x8' continental, I have a basic chock, not self locking. With the canyon dancer strap and a few on the tail, it works fine....either bike. Personally I would advertise the 4'x6' and get one slightly larger. Doesn't have to be much bigger. 4'x8' or 5'x8'. But have fun and enjoy trailering!!

Not crazy about trailering it but i reallg want to take the jeep also. I may put it on craigslist for trade for a little bigger one. I just figured i'd make what i had work, stil might try it.

Bots you need to post up yours in the Busa lock setup you have. Baxley front with a pit bull rear. The proverbial sledge hammer method of trailering. Cause thats what you would need to get that bike to tip over.

So I'm a little paranoid. :rofl:

I'll attach a pic, but let me tell you, once you go strapless, there's no turning back. :laugh:

272764d1391178276-rear-trailer-stand-photo-12-.jpg

272765d1391178588-rear-trailer-stand-photo-5.jpg

Ok kendall, I've changed my mind on this whole trailer idea of yours... Will the busa fit on the trailer without modifying the front?

IF SO, just buy the PitBull trailer restraint, and mount it so that the mounting plate is in front of the rear wheel, and skip the front chock. No straps, nothing. Just reinforce where you bolt the trailer restraint plate to, and go from there. You can get them fairly inexpensive (site sponsor HondaEast will hook you up nicely ;) ) and you WON'T be disappointed with it.

I think its just a bit too short but not by much, I'll double check this afternoon. I definitely like the strapless route though. I really appreciate all the input.

+1 on the chock, put a quality chock don't skimp on something that will be holding something very valuable

wheel chock broken.jpg

since you going that far go ahead and go all the way

Trailer_Restraint pitbull.jpg

6 foot maynot be enough for the pitbull though

will be pretty painfull to be driving down the road and watch her lean and fall in the rearview mirror wondering if you will get stopped before she goes sliding down highway on her own :whistle:

wheel chock broken.jpg

Trailer_Restraint pitbull.jpg

Heres some pictures of the bike next to the trailer, to give some ideas of how it would fit. Would possibly do a wood floor or maybe just a flat plate down the center and of course bracing where ever needed for mounting points.
2014-03-21165205_zps1767d33b.jpg
2014-03-21165247_zpsb03e69c3.jpg
2014-03-21165415_zpsc788a982.jpg

Back