Time To Jump In With My Turbo Build Thread

ColdBusa

Take this Jerry, you silly little rodent
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys.

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself a setup. Im going to use this page as my build thread with all the details and pictures of what ive got going on.

So heres a little background on the current direction im going with my build. I compete in an organization in Canada drag racing. Last year I competed in the "street" class, which is an entry level class with any street legal bike as a bracket style class. I did fairly well this year and decided I want to move up a class to superstreet. Since the rules dictate how long the bike can be stretched, the type of clutch I can use, plus no boost control, you will see why im not going "all out on" this build.

So now with the good stuff. The parts heading my way, which should be this week or next week:

RCC Turbo stage 1, with a bigger turbine housing to breathe a bit better,
Blowoff valve
Rcc billet fuel rail and upgraded injectors
Stainless steel valves
Heavy duty valve springs
Wossner 9:1 pistons
Wossner rods
High flow oil gear
Rcc slave support
Cometic head and base gasket
Brocks ultra clutch mod
Heavy duty clutch springs
And last but not least studs to hold it together.
I will probably run 10 to 12lbs of boost with vp16 as fuel.
Currently Im running 9.5" over for a stretch, but have to shorten it to 4" over for the class im going into.
I will be using ECU editor to tune with, and havent decided what im going to be data logging with yet. Either start simple with a wego 3 or an innovate dl-32 and have everything that ill need.

However, my future plans with this bike in the future is to redo it again and set it up for pro street.

Ill upload pics shortly of what ive got done so far tonight or tomorrow.

Sub'd!!

Looks like you got just about everything covered. I see your running a HP oil pump gear. Do you have a high pressure valve to go with that? Also This sounds like its a gen2, and if the case, if you want to data log, you can used the woodlich racing logger box. It uses your ecu editor to data log, and saves it on an SD card. Pretty trick.

Your gonna be in for a wild ride at 4 over, and 10-12psi. Mines 6 over on 14psi all wastegate and its a handful...But man its fun! :rofl:

Sorry, yes it is a gen 2. I currently didn't plan on putting a high pressure valve in it, however I need to do a bit more research on it.

Here's the before pic, and the current state of the bike. Also putting the viper to work...lol

Hayabusa1.jpg

Generally with my experience it's all or nothing when it comes to the oiling system. High volume oil pump gear and high pressure valve, or stick with stock stuff. I've never wiped out a set of bearings because of oiling issues. However in years past I've seen several failures on guys only running only one item, and not the other.

Thanks for the input Murderedout. So in your experience, since I'm only going to be pushing 10 to 12lbs should I just hold onto the gear and wait for when I get the trans cut for when I convert this thing to a prostreet setup and install it then with a new valve? Or should it be a now thing and install it? It is going to be a stip bike, with the odd ride on the street.

Generally with my experience it's all or nothing when it comes to the oiling system. High volume oil pump gear and high pressure valve, or stick with stock stuff. I've never wiped out a set of bearings because of oiling issues. However in years past I've seen several failures on guys only running only one item, and not the other.

Rob, we have seen issues with the high output oil pump gear AND the high pressure valve used together, especially on cold start ups. Revving the motor when still slightly cold can push oil pressures way over 100 psi, and we have seen oil filter orings blow out, making quite the mess. I would be interested if you have run into this or not. When it comes to oiling systems, sometimes it is more about volume and not pressure. Too much oil pressure can be detrimental and actually cause oiling issues, but we have not seen that with the combination you are recommending here. Either way, with those two items together I would caution the rev happy customer to let the bike warm up before getting too liberal with the throttle. :whistle:

Last edited:
Rob, we have seen issues with the high output oil pump gear AND the high pressure valve used together, especially on cold start ups. Revving the motor when still slightly cold can push oil pressures way over 100 psi, and we have seen oil filter orings blow out, making quite the mess. I would be interested if you have run into this or not. When it comes to oiling systems, sometimes it is more about volume and not pressure. Too much oil pressure can be detrimental and actually cause oiling issues, but we have not seen that with the combination you are recommending here. Either way, with those two items together I would caution the rev happy customer to let the bike warm up before getting too liberal with the throttle. :whistle:

Yep, I've had it happen too, and that was the next point I was gonna make. I always remind the owner after installing the valve and gear that the bike needs to be close to operating temp before getting rev happy. But as long as they're using a good filter, and it's on tight it's really is a good combination. I have yet to also have any problems with those parts.

The extra volume was what I was going for originally. Hmm still on the fence about it.

Good info on the rev part. That's something I didn't know!

The extra volume was what I was going for originally. Hmm still on the fence about it.

Good info on the rev part. That's something I didn't know!

That is why Robinson calls this gear a high VOLUME (or output) gear. Of course, the resulting higher volume increases pressures a bit - usually about 20 pounds across the board. An extra plus is the fact that your water pump also spins faster, increasing its volume as well. Every Busa can benefit from one of these gears. We routinely use these without the high pressure valve, I don't see this as necessary. But you know, sometimes you ask two engine builders and get three opinions! One other thing - be wary of any copies or knock offs when it comes to the oil pump gears - a few have failed that were not made by Robinson . . .:rulez:

The one I have coming is from APE (through RCC).

Well, I did a bit more work to the bike this weekend. I am still waiting for my fitting to drop the motor but I did what I could. Installed the oil cooler block off plates. Ditched the pair valve and installed the pair valve block offs. Removed and gutted the stock fuel pump, and prepped the housing for the new one. I also removed the upper throttlebodies. Not much, I know, but like I said after I get the motor out it will be alot more progress...lol.

However, here's some pics for you guys ( I know that's why you're here!!! :laugh:)

DSC_0256.jpg

DSC_0257.jpg

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0259.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

Looking Good so far Gary. Best of luck this upcoming season in Superstreet.

Well I got some more work completed on the busa. I ended up getting the motor dropped and completely ripped the thing apart. I organized everything with plastic bags with labels as I went on, so things are tracked. I didn't get into a situation that I wasn't sure where a piece didn't go or come from. All I used was the shop manual, and I have to agree with what someone else on this board had mentioned, the manual doesn't make mention of the bolt under the crank balancer...grr. I fought with it for around 10 minutes until I saw the little bugger...lol. Other than that, it was pretty straight forward and not that complicated.

Here's some pics of the progress. Yes I'm workin on the floor as both of my tables had been taken up as progress went on, however I have a soft mat underneath, as well as plastic to catch everything.

DSC_0266.jpg

Back