A Tire Observation.

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Last set of tires I had was a Q2 - 190/50 Roadsmart combination. Best feeling, handling, riding, set of rubber I think I've ever had on the Busa, wore the sides out with tread still left in the middles. When they were gone I put on a Q2 - 190/55 Roadsmart 2 set. Immediately the bike took a noticeable amount more effort to get it to turn in and hold a line through a corner. Grip is still good, just more of a heavy feeling in general. Have played around with pressures in both ends but nothing really changes anything. Would think that going to the 55 series tire would at least not slow the handling down, but something about the Roadsmart 2 compared to the 50 series Roadsmart has made a good size difference, in the wrong direction.
Anybody else experience this with the RS2, and any ideas on what is up with them?

You are throwing around the Q2 and roadsmart names. The Sportmax Q2 is a hypersport tire and for grip and handling. The Sportmax Roadsmart is a touring tire and has a much different make up than the Q2. Are these the two tires you are comparing? I've run the 50's and 55's in both and can't tell the difference in size. The difference in tire is easy if you are romping on the gas in the twistys.

Q2 fronts both times, Roadsmart and Roadsmart 2 rears. The difference came from the 2 versions of the Roadsmart tires.

Ah...I'm like you. I really like running the Q2 up front and the Roadsmart rear. I've not run the Roadsmart 2. From the sound of it, I don't think I'd like it.

Q2 fronts both times, Roadsmart and Roadsmart 2 rears. The difference came from the 2 versions of the Roadsmart tires.

That's the combo I normally run. I've never tried the RS'2, don't believe I will either.

You guys are wondering about turning performance of a long life touring tire! Come on, it is made for touring/rain/snow/mud and long life. Try the Qaulifier rear or the Q2 rear. The Qualifire is the step up into the high performance tires and the Q2 is the top of the heap. Good Luck.

You guys are wondering about turning performance of a long life touring tire! Come on, it is made for touring/rain/snow/mud and long life. Try the Qaulifier rear or the Q2 rear. The Qualifire is the step up into the high performance tires and the Q2 is the top of the heap. Good Luck.

Economics forces me (and a lot of others) to go this route. Sport front and a sport touring rear wear pretty much evenly for me, and I get around 4500 miles out of the pair. Sport rear tire will be gone in 2500 miles or so, leaving me to throw away a half worn front, or put a new rear tire on with the worn front, making for worse handling than the sport/sport touring combo.
The general grip and handling of the tires is good, just questioning why the noticeable difference between 2 versions of basically the same tire. Especially in the direction I went. Would more think I would experience this if I went from the newer generation 190/55 to the original model 190/50 instead of the other way around.
I can still get it to turn, I just have to work at it a bit harder. I'm going to run them until they wear out, but I believe I'll go back to the original Roadsmart rear for the next pair, that was a sweet handling set of tires.

Not all of us are made of money. I commute on my bike 60 miles per day. I also stay pretty sane in the curves. I use roadsmart 2s on the back and have a Q2 up front but it is cupped after only about 4K. Handling was great. Never used the original roadsmart so I have no comparison. I change out my rear tire when it gets flatspotted and shows indicator. Will probably go to the roadsmart 2 up front also. Only concern is loss of braking power on a hot day. Let you know how it works out.

Last set of tires I had was a Q2 - 190/50 Roadsmart combination. Best feeling, handling, riding, set of rubber I think I've ever had on the Busa, wore the sides out with tread still left in the middles. When they were gone I put on a Q2 - 190/55 Roadsmart 2 set. Immediately the bike took a noticeable amount more effort to get it to turn in and hold a line through a corner. Grip is still good, just more of a heavy feeling in general. Have played around with pressures in both ends but nothing really changes anything. Would think that going to the 55 series tire would at least not slow the handling down, but something about the Roadsmart 2 compared to the 50 series Roadsmart has made a good size difference, in the wrong direction.
Anybody else experience this with the RS2, and any ideas on what is up with them?

I would think going from a 50 to a 55 would make a diff in handling especially the response you described. Taller profile and different shape. The RS2s shape is designed to keep a larger contact patch on the ground from mid to full lean which probably slows down response a bit.

"snow/mud...."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

pics please!

cheers
ken

No mud in this pic. But roadsmart 2 off the pavement.

image-4123378915.jpg

image-4123378915.jpg

Back