Are we getting bored with the busa?

Nope not bored with it at all. Just happy I got it to the state of mods of where it is at as of now. Want more time to ride it though! Been doing home repairs so a I havent had time to think about being bored wih my busa. In fact everytime I see it and the 1k I get that I got to go for a ride feeling!

I will haved owned my 01 for 12 years very soon. Sometimes i think i am bored with it. But after a good long ride i think [what was i thinking]
Not too many mods on it....stock suspension, brakes, Just some bar risers, hard luggage, Full pipe and a PC II.
After i put some Dunlop Q2's on it i have scraped the fairing on the right side....kickstand on the left. Throwing sparks is pretty exciting on any bike. especially on such a big pig of a BUSA. :laugh:

I will haved owned my 01 for 12 years very soon. Sometimes i think i am bored with it. But after a good long ride i think [what was i thinking]
Not too many mods on it....stock suspension, brakes, Just some bar risers, hard luggage, Full pipe and a PC II.
After i put some Dunlop Q2's on it i have scraped the fairing on the right side....kickstand on the left. Throwing sparks is pretty exciting on any bike. especially on such a big pig of a BUSA. :laugh:

:bowdown:..

I've been riding street bikes for 32 years.....I'm finding lately that I'm definately getting bored with it. I picked up a dual sport 6 months ago and thats all I've been riding.
Its a shame to have a beautiful red busa modded up just the way you want it, sitting in the garage under a cover....lucky to get ridden a few hundred miles a season the last few years. I start it up every so often to listen to it purr, keep it spotless and waxed, seafoam in it and on a battery tender, tires pumped up and oil fresh...ready to go, but no urge to ride it. I don't want to get rid of it, but not sure when I'll want to ride it again.

I keep thinking what an awesome KTM dualsport I could pick up if I sold the busa. For some reason riding the streets just isn't doing it for me anymore........not sure what I'm gonna do. Guess I'll wait till spring hits and see :dunno:

Last fall I was getting pretty bored with riding on the street period, so I parked the Busa sometime back in September and went completely dirt. I'll see how it goes in another month or so when the weather warms a bit. If I can't come up with some people to ride with once in a while, I may sell it and stay with the dirt bikes. Always people to ride with and fun times to be had in the woods and on the MX tracks.
Beautiful roads and all here, just in the last year I've gotten tired of riding them by myself all the time.
I'm feeling the same way, as you can see in my post above :(
Its a shame, we have bikes many folks would die for, and they just sit in the garage :banghead:

For me it's mostly boredom on the road in general. I actually kinda miss when every civic had a body kit, and a coffee can muffler. A good laugh in the morning on my way to work was always nice.

nope! i just buy something new for her to keep me interested. simple stuff like that keeps me happy.:laugh:

simple stuff keeps me happy.:laugh:
Rainman eh? Just kidding :mwink:
I wish simply adding things to my busa kept me happy......unfortunately I've done everything it needs for me, mostly all power/performance related mods, and I don't like to put excess money into farkles I don't really need, knowing I'll lose that much more dough when it comes time to sell.
The biggest issue is no matter what I do to the bike, I'm just bored anymore riding the street :dunno:

Last fall I was getting pretty bored with riding on the street period, so I parked the Busa sometime back in September and went completely dirt. I'll see how it goes in another month or so when the weather warms a bit. If I can't come up with some people to ride with once in a while, I may sell it and stay with the dirt bikes. Always people to ride with and fun times to be had in the woods and on the MX tracks.
Beautiful roads and all here, just in the last year I've gotten tired of riding them by myself all the time.
Hey Tom.. with me it's just the opposite....For what ever reason i have more buds to ride with on the street. So i go out in the dirt by myself, which is not really that smart.. re- safe if i crash hard out there. A question for you. Do you think [ off topic] Dirt riding is safer than riding on the street ? I do. every spring i soul search - should i quit riding the street because i have been SO LUCKY to only have had a few minor crashes and quit while i'm ahead. Like someone said [ I have used up 7 of my nine lives ] I think i'm up to 8+... LOL i think Raydog has something to do with that number. :whistle:

I've been riding street bikes for 32 years.....I'm finding lately that I'm definately getting bored with it. I picked up a dual sport 6 months ago and thats all I've been riding.
Its a shame to have a beautiful red busa modded up just the way you want it, sitting in the garage under a cover....lucky to get ridden a few hundred miles a season the last few years. I start it up every so often to listen to it purr, keep it spotless and waxed, seafoam in it and on a battery tender, tires pumped up and oil fresh...ready to go, but no urge to ride it. I don't want to get rid of it, but not sure when I'll want to ride it again.

I keep thinking what an awesome KTM dualsport I could pick up if I sold the busa. For some reason riding the streets just isn't doing it for me anymore........not sure what I'm gonna do. Guess I'll wait till spring hits and see :dunno:[/QUOTE

I am kind of right on the fence with you when i read your post. Tough call for me....Have you seen that 2013 Husky Terra 650 ? for only 7 grand?
Plus i'm soon 62 and have been on the street since 1972 ! 40 years. What i do......I already have a street legal KTM 300EXC...keep um' both for now i think.

Yeah, I really needed to do a naked "regular seating position" Busa (Superbyke)....it's so different and I notice so much more of what's around me. Also, I don't know what I'd do without my KLR, it just goes freekin everywhere from singletrack game trails to 75-80 mph freeway travel. Gets 45-50 mpg, has a 6 gallon tank, takes my Zumo for GPS and XM radio and carries all the luggage I'd ever need. Another GREAT thing about itis that it DOES NOT get to 150 mph in a few seconds so it's safer than heck! Doyle

P1000906.JPG

P1000907.JPG

imho?...This thread should be in the "Blasphemy Forum" LOL!

To me?...this would be like asking a guy..."are ya bored with that old shelby cobra yet?" LOL!

and yes..we have come a long ways from the days that motorcyclist mag claimed in their review..

"sell the family farm if ya hafta but don't die without getting a chance to experience the suzuki's mighty hayabusa"

now agreed..the first years of ownership?..i hadta pinch myself everytime i stepped into my garage...is it like that anymore?..nope...but years 2-3 was still like waking up to Christmas..every morning...and here i am a decade later...is everyday still like Christmas morning?...nope...but...yet...still...

here it is a whopping 10 years later...an entire decade..and everytime i don my gear, turn that key and hit "the button" to hear that two wheeled massive powerplant jump to life?...so does my bodys old adrenaline factory..an there's an electricity in the air..the day seems a little brighter..the skies a shade bluer...and my 54 year old azz feels like a teenager headed out for his first hot date..again..and again...and again...and mines just an old Gen1! LOL!

bored?..hayabusa?...somebody call the paramedics...we need a pulse check! LOL!

imho?...This thread should be in the "Blasphemy Forum" LOL!

To me?...this would be like asking a guy..."are ya bored with that old shelby cobra yet?" LOL!

and yes..we have come a long ways from the days that motorcyclist mag claimed in their review..

"sell the family farm if ya hafta but don't die without getting a chance to experience the suzuki's mighty hayabusa"

now agreed..the first years of ownership?..i hadta pinch myself everytime i stepped into my garage...is it like that anymore?..nope...but years 2-3 was still like waking up to Christmas..every morning...and here i am a decade later...is everyday still like Christmas morning?...nope...but...yet...still...

here it is a whopping 10 years later...an entire decade..and everytime i don my gear, turn that key and hit "the button" to hear that two wheeled massive powerplant jump to life?...so does my bodys old adrenaline factory..an there's an electricity in the air..the day seems a little brighter..the skies a shade bluer...and my 54 year old azz feels like a teenager headed out for his first hot date..again..and again...and again...and mines just an old Gen1! LOL!

bored?..hayabusa?...somebody call the paramedics...we need a pulse check! LOL!

I pretty much agree, that's why I have two of em!

Nope not bored with it at all. Just happy I got it to the state of mods of where it is at as of now. Want more time to ride it though! Been doing home repairs so a I havent had time to think about being bored wih my busa. In fact everytime I see it and the 1k I get that I got to go for a ride feeling!

Lol! I was dissing (is that a word) on the Hampton Roads Sport Bike site. Rode with Russ this morning and it was cold! Also was at Sport Cuts last night and the girl doing my hair was telling me about another Busa rider that came in. I told her yeah that was Tim and next time he comes in give him a mohawk and tell him it's on Willie! :laugh:

Not Bored ! but waiting to see the next super bike.. I was told by a friend that Suzuki has developed a v-6 . I guess we shall see.. It is supposed to be 300+HP . If and when I'll be there .. If that does happen that will make our busa seem like an Old ladies bike..

I certainly agree about how much mysticism there was about the Busa. For me it was still there well into the year 2006. So much fan fare it was ridiculous. I was a Rockstar!! Today maybe not so much except from the younger crowd who just bought their first 600cc bike and they see the 1300-1400cc bikes are for men with big boy pants........

Kinda strange on with my current 2006 though. All of the bikes I have owned I always poured money into some sort of poweradder or semi-built engine with head and cam mods. My 2001 had Yosh cams no headwork but everything else as far as bolt-ons and tune. I bought a turbo kit for a Hayabusa before I bought my 2006....long story :laugh: . Then after 5 years I still have the base turbo kit with new items and still haven't put it on this bike. I have a built head and Yosh cams waiting to put them on as well and still pondering a 1397. Why am I happy with 160hp?

I already have 2 turbocharged bikes (750 turbo and a 2004 ZRX1200) so having a turbocharged Busa hasn't been as enticing anymore. Instead of worrying about straightline performance only, I decided to enhanced the bike with lightweight wheels, ceramic bearings, Ohlins suspension, Brembo/Braketech/Nissin braking components and removing nearly 70lbs from the bike. All this with a well tuned stock engine (even stock exhaust modded) I have been somewhat content on it's performance. Now if I decide to do a 1397 with my head/cam combo, then this bike will do everything great. 200hp big touring bike that handles and brakes as nearly as good as some stock litre bikes is quite satisfying. The bonus is that I can ride farther without getting tired.

After either the turbo or the 1397, I am sure I will be content for at least another 5 years. The bike is pretty much done and I am not much into bling or custom looks but a nice factory style paint job will eventually happen.

I certainly agree about how much mysticism there was about the Busa. For me it was still there well into the year 2006. So much fan fare it was ridiculous. I was a Rockstar!! Today maybe not so much except from the younger crowd who just bought their first 600cc bike and they see the 1300-1400cc bikes are for men with big boy pants........

Kinda strange on with my current 2006 though. All of the bikes I have owned I always poured money into some sort of poweradder or semi-built engine with head and cam mods. My 2001 had Yosh cams no headwork but everything else as far as bolt-ons and tune. I bought a turbo kit for a Hayabusa before I bought my 2006....long story :laugh: . Then after 5 years I still have the base turbo kit with new items and still haven't put it on this bike. I have a built head and Yosh cams waiting to put them on as well and still pondering a 1397. Why am I happy with 160hp?

I already have 2 turbocharged bikes (750 turbo and a 2004 ZRX1200) so having a turbocharged Busa hasn't been as enticing anymore. Instead of worrying about straightline performance only, I decided to enhanced the bike with lightweight wheels, ceramic bearings, Ohlins suspension, Brembo/Braketech/Nissin braking components and removing nearly 70lbs from the bike. All this with a well tuned stock engine (even stock exhaust modded) I have been somewhat content on it's performance. Now if I decide to do a 1397 with my head/cam combo, then this bike will do everything great. 200hp big touring bike that handles and brakes as nearly as good as some stock litre bikes is quite satisfying. The bonus is that I can ride farther without getting tired.

After either the turbo or the 1397, I am sure I will be content for at least another 5 years. The bike is pretty much done and I am not much into bling or custom looks but a nice factory style paint job will eventually happen.

I've discussed this stuff with my builder friends and, coupled with what I know I want......I vote for big bore kit, slightly lowered compression and cam it for torque. A 1397 built right could get you 120 + or - pounds of torque and, out of ALL possible combos, nothing is more pleasureful than good handling and monster torque in the same motorcycle, and with less moving parts and long distance capability. JMO Raydog

Hey Tom.. with me it's just the opposite....For what ever reason i have more buds to ride with on the street. So i go out in the dirt by myself, which is not really that smart.. re- safe if i crash hard out there. A question for you. Do you think [ off topic] Dirt riding is safer than riding on the street ? I do. every spring i soul search - should i quit riding the street because i have been SO LUCKY to only have had a few minor crashes and quit while i'm ahead. Like someone said [ I have used up 7 of my nine lives ] I think i'm up to 8+... LOL i think Raydog has something to do with that number. :whistle:

Several ways to look at the safety factor between dirt and street. My take on it is.. Riding in the woods here has a greater chance of crashes (by far) than riding on the street. But the severity of the crashes while trail riding, or even woods racing (harescrambles and enduros), are almost always minor compared to the street. I say "almost" because I've seen some huge hurts come out of the woods on a stretcher, but it's very rare. Mostly limited to minor breaks as worst case things.
Motocross on the other hand, is a different animal all together. Your chances of crashing on a motocross track are very great, and the consequences can sometimes be on the par of a bad street crash. You can get away with bumps and bruises (as you can on the street), but you come up short on a big jump, or get ran over by a coupla bikes, and it can be a game ender. Just crashing at 40mph with very little protective gear in general brings about a slew of broken arms, legs, clavicals ribs, backs, necks (I always wear a Leatt brace on the track), etc.. And people do get killed doing motocross.
Personally, if I had to rate one form as more dangerous than all others, it would be motocross. It's a sure thing your going to get hurt at the MX track, only question is, how bad? All forms of motorcycles carry a certain risk factor, but that's part of what makes it fun. You do your best to minimize the risk factor by maximizing skill.
And as Steve Martin (Superbike racer, not comedian) said one time, "you can't get scared too easily in this business".

Back