Chrome or Polished?

mikey28804

Registered
Ok guys, I feel like a tard for asking but I have a micron slip on system. I am playing with the Idea of powdercoating it but I want to make sure what surface Im working with. Also, do I need to etch or sand the surface before coating? I really think its Polished Aluminum but maybe someone knows better......From the reasearch I dont think micron even did a chrome slip on.....maybe Im wrong.....So is it polished aliminum or chrome?

micron2_zps0853826c.jpg

Powder coating an exhaust can is like spray painting your shirt cause you want it a different color. I have not yet seen an exhaust hold up over time with powder coat..
Look into nitro plating it.

http://nitroplate.com/coatings/

I have been tossing the idea of hight temp powder coat too. Looked at the link above, but they don't seem to do colors. Planning on using a temp gun on my muffler to see if it falls in the range of hight temp powder coats.

Dont powdercoat an exhaust...... If you had a full system I would say just get it ceramic coated but for a slip on why would you waste your time or money?

because powdercoat is free.....and i dont like chrome or polished.....just want black......Im really not interested in a full system, bike runs hard enough to me.

Had this one ceramic coated, the can looked good but from the header back it started to burn off and change colors.

ForumRunner_20130109_163810.png

Sent from my HTC DNA using Forum Runner

ForumRunner_20130109_163810.png

Here's a 2 Bros Carbon I did on a bike I had, when I swapped to the Corona bodywork and went white/black the stainless just didn't go and I didn't care for the length of it either. So I trimmed a few inches off length and went black. As you can see of course can shell was carbon so I didn't do the can shell but did the mid pipe & end caps. they were stainless, not sure they needed it but I did a quick bead blast on them to etch the surface a lil and coated them with Hi temp powder I got from Eastwood. IIRC it was rated up to 1100 degree.

And I ran that for at least a year like that I'd say and it looked the same when I sold the bike. Bike in red is same bike & exhaust when I sold it last year with exhaust looking the same. Even though the mid looks a lil lighter in pic it must have been angle/reflection ??? cause it didn't show like that in person. Grant it first pic in black everything was just cleaned and wiped down which is why it looks a lil glossier, but the hi temp is actually more satin not quite semi. I never did pc the header but it was done with hi temp 2000 deg header paint when bike was apart, was oven cured and all and it lasted about as long as a weekend affair. Looked nice on friday evening but by time sunday evening came around she looked rode hard and put away wet. And it eventually just all burned off and i didn't mess with it anymore cause you really couldn't see it.

DSCN7036.jpg

DSCN7113.jpg

DSCN7123.jpg

IMG_1826.jpg

I love the black look!!! I have been looking at eastwoods powders.....thats what ill probably go with....thanks for the pics....wish someone had a pic of a black one!

Did you use the same 1100 degree paint on the midpipe too? I looked on eastwoods site and do not see and high temp powder

Did you use the same 1100 degree paint on the midpipe too? I looked on eastwoods site and do not see and high temp powder
Yes, same stuff can & mid pipe. And yeah I see, I just looked at Esatwood and they don't have it listed anymore. ??? I know I bought some from them last summer sometime, I see a few other hi temp powders at different places but as to which one is best. Couldn't say, just buy & try is my only suggestion. Always works that way, find one you like & works and they do away with it. :banghead:

Ceramic coat. I had my pegs done in the Eastwood stuff and they are flaking. Even an industrail powder probably will only hold up on the can, but not the pipe itself.
Here are my last 3 bikes that were ceramic coated. Not one issue.
OrangeBusa-1.jpg

DSC04657.jpg

2012-11-03_174017.jpg

Back