What do you guys think of Ducati's?

FloydV

Donating Member
Registered
All I know is that they cost a lot and for some reason seem to be stuck on V-twins (yuk). I also remember an argument that Duc battled about some engine restriction that they said was unfair to V-twins and picked up their toys and went home.

How come I see their bikes in every movie?

Floyd

the chassis is tubing vs a cast Al one ...it flexes in and out of a turn...for one thing I could not push the bike hard enough to notice...they come with a great suspension / upgrade to a latest and greatest suspension and there is a big chunk of money...it has many superior parts and a name that can command a higher price tag

Ducati motorcycles are pieces of art. They are not built to mass produced standards like most Japanese bikes. They use premium parts and are have great attention to detail. The V-twin has 3 main advantages: 1) Larger pistons means more torque. 2) The V-twin is very narrow. 3) The V-twin has a natural big bang power delivery which is believed to improve traction. Ducati is also a leader in getting technology to the buying public with cutting edge TC, ABS, and electronic suspension. Ducati has had a problem with maintenance, although that can be argued that is in the past when the bikes had belt cam drives. Another knock is that they don't handle state of the art and are uncomfortable as street bikes. They are also very expensive to both buy and maintain. In my opinion the inline 4 guys have caught up to the natural power characteristics advantage the V-twin once enjoyed. So for my money, the S1000RR is a no brainer over the Ducati. But without a doubt, the Ducatis are absolutely beautiful bikes to look at. PS: It's the cool factor that gets them in lots of movies.....

They're like super models, sexy, amazing and high maintenance, tho the Ducs have better curves.

Love them. Rolling artwork and amazing pieces of engineering, think desmodromic valve trains, chassis, etc. As such they require constant care and tweaking to keep running their best. I especially love the older race bikes and would love to own one but not as a primary driver. Modern Duks are more reliable but still have their issues. If you do not have the skills they are also more expensive to maintain than a Japanese bike. There are reliability issues and the track bikes are not at all comfortable but they are not meant to be, they are meant to race! If I did own one it would be on display in the man cave for sure when not being ridden. If I were rich I would have a motorcycle collection that rivals Leno's. My faves are the late 70s early 80s when motorcycles were in their heyday and huge leaps of progress were happening. I think we are in a resurgence of progress on bikes but unfortunately you have to have the cash to participate.

How come I see their bikes in every movie?

Floyd
cause they look like a BJ on wheels....:laugh: if ur into the whole marbles in ur engine thing then Ducati's are great. my buddy had a 2007 1098 and after taking it for a ride I was bored after 5 minutes. I will say he got far more attention from the general public then I do on my Busa and women especially liked the whole exotic lookn Italian thing goin on.

hell, they even get my attention when I see them. there is no doubting they are some of the best lookn bikes ever made which is why u see them in movies.

but my buddy had lots of issues with his and it was relatively stock so he sold it and is now lookn to buy ZX-10 or BMW.

and all year I only saw 3 Ducati's on the road. they are not a dime a dozen like Jap bikes are. their quite rare actually and they do hold their value. my buddy paid $9500 for his and rode it for a year and sold it for $9000. try buying a Busa and getting ur money's worth like that. keep dreaming.....:whistle:

If you put money into them, they can be great on the track. But the same could be said about any bike.

They're overrated, but anything that is exclusive becomes desirable in of itself.

Disclaimer: I am passively looking for a deal on a duc.

Ducati is like the Lambo of bikes, they just have a presence that no other bikes seem to capture.

I personally love their Diavel

Wow, so most everyone loves or admires a Duc. :bowdown: I've never seen one on the street. I do know that they don't participate in that speed limiting agreement the Japs do. Do they even make a four cylinder? I was thinking that a V-4 could be made much thinner than an inline 4 even if the Vs don't run as smooth.

Thanks for the opinions. I saw a pic of one that cost $60,000. So, I doubt I'll get one for Christmas.

Floyd

When you see a $60,000 bike, it doesn't mean it's worth $60,000. Whenever parts are made in small numbers, or there is a lot of R&D done for only a few copies of a product to be sold, the cost will be higher.

Just like for my VW TDI, they require a specific blend of oil for the motor. It costs a lot more than the standard 10w30, but that doesn't mean it's 3x as good.

I think most of us know this, but some people seem to confuse price with quality. It's not always the case.

To sum up a Ducati in 1 word I would have to say....."Sexy" :laugh: the lines the curves the looks the sound..... It is undeniable they are the best looking bikes out. However if 1 phrase came to mind to sum up a Ducati it would be "All show and no go". If you are a collector or walk around with a silver spoon then that's the bike for you. They look best on a showroom floor....... Lord only knows what would happen if you got 1 wet :hide:

I think the monsters are beautiful and very practical and useable. The rest of the the Ducati line....high maintenance trophy wife.:laugh:

This was once a part of our family. Sadly she's gone to another home but one day there will be another.

100_5319.jpg

I think the monsters are beautiful and very practical and useable. The rest of the the Ducati line....high maintenance trophy wife.:laugh:

I dunno, my buddy with a monster has spent 3x the cost of the bike in maintenance so far and he has only put ~40,000 miles on it. It even takes special tools to perform an oil change as there is some sort of pre-screen before the filter which takes a special socket to remove :rollext: also he says the dealership charges him ~$600 for a valve adjustment every 7500 miles ::11

Wow, so most everyone loves or admires a Duc. :bowdown: I've never seen one on the street. I do know that they don't participate in that speed limiting agreement the Japs do. Do they even make a four cylinder? I was thinking that a V-4 could be made much thinner than an inline 4 even if the Vs don't run as smooth.

Thanks for the opinions. I saw a pic of one that cost $60,000. So, I doubt I'll get one for Christmas.

Floyd

I rode an RSV-4 a few years back, brand new one, it was horrible, the whole thinng rattled, V4's are gross.

I dunno, my buddy with a monster has spent 3x the cost of the bike in maintenance so far and he has only put ~40,000 miles on it. It even takes special tools to perform an oil change as there is some sort of pre-screen before the filter which takes a special socket to remove :rollext: also he says the dealership charges him ~$600 for a valve adjustment every 7500 miles ::11

I think pretty much all stealerships charge like that. The trick in my opinion is to find a good privately owned shop. My Busa on the other hand requires almost zero maintenance that's not required maintenance. It's an 05, and it always runs like it should (not finicky). I thought for $60K you would have factory racing bike, with maybe a fly by wire throttle or something really high tech. Not so evidently.

Back