Well not a busa part..... but....

I finished machining these for my Vmax recently. I have a few more parts I want to design and make, and then hopefully I can move on to my Busa and make a few parts for that this winter while I rebuild it. Not even sure where I am going to start with the Busa to be honest. But I figured I would show off a little of my Vmax work :laugh:

These are clutch insert covers.

Stock cover.

vmax_zps2654f5fb.jpg

Its a pie shape cut out from the factory.

Here is my replacement covers. I made a few for some local guys. Mine is the skull one, since I am into skulls. You can see my cylinder covers I made with skulls if you zoom in close enough.

Vmaxclutchcovers4differentdesigns12-2012-1.jpg

vmaxlogoclutchcoverpicture-1.jpg

I enjoy machining things and this is my "stress relief" from my day job ( building custom guns ). I don't sell motorcycle parts as a living, I just dabble with cool stuff and make what I can when I can for my bikes and once in awhile for buddies.

I am hoping to make a few Busa covers , something small to start like the master and clutch covers. Something embossed, but not like you see everyone else doing. Just something to set my bike off with my personal flair.

Who knows I have all winter to think of something I guess.

Thanks
Todd

Thanks guys.

Here is a little step by step of them being machined.

The start, a block of aluminum.
20121011_135445_zps4db23251.jpg

Here is one of the first machine steps for the back side.

part1vmaxclutchcoverbackside.jpg

Roughing it out back side.

VmaxClutchCover2012.jpg

Finishing back side.

VmaxClutchCover.jpg

VmaxClutchCover-1.jpg

Roughing the top
VmaxClutchCover-3.jpg

Finishing top.

VmaxClutchCover-2.jpg

Embossed top prior to media finishing.
VmaxClucthcover.jpg

VmaxClutchCover-4.jpg

After media finishing prior to cleaning and powder coating.

VmaxClutchCover-5.jpg

After cleaning and powdercoating, with brush finish to letters.

vmaxlogoclutchcoverpicture-1.jpg

Thanks
Todd

Very nice work. I love machine work and wish I had never sold my mill. I hope to buy a mill and a lathe when I get moved next year. Keep us posted :thumbsup:

If you had a Kanji on that cover installed on the Vmax... that would be impressive...

Very cool, nice work man I can see you didn't cut any corners.

What machine are using and are you using coolant? I see the nozzles but I also see lots of chips.

Funny that you posted pictures of these because I was talking to Raydog about doing these same covers on the Hayabusa.

Scott

He's definitely not flooding the coolant, maybe misting? Also, did you go from that surface finish right to media blasting and got that good of a result?

That scallop looks huge to wind up that smooth..

Curious minds want to know. :beerchug:

P.S. I still need to contact you about my gun project. :thumbsup:

I do flood, but my pump is getting weak, so I have to keep it on half throttle so to speak or it doesn't have enough pressure to push chips away. Alot of the pictures I turned it off to take a quick picture, I didn't stop machining, just turned it off and blew the coolant off to get a better shot hence see chips. But again the pump is weak.

That's a .300 step over for the rough, then a .02 step on the finish. I could go finer maybe to a .005 step, but its not a plate and I am not eating off it, so I left it be at that. The cut time and price would greatly be affected obviously if I did a smaller step over.

Yes the picture is a finish to media blast , then right to the powder ( of course after cleaning ).

I am going to do a Busa cover similar to this for mine. If there is a little interest, I may make a few to support my hobby of rebuilding that 99 I have. :whistle:

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Here are a few more of my vmax parts I made for my bike.

My shift light bracket.

vmaxShiftlightmount2012-1.jpg

Bungee mounts for the top of the shock caps.

BungeemountsVmax.jpg

Rear brake arm stay.

VmaxBrakeArm-1.jpg

My skull cylinder covers.

IMAG1085.jpg

And while this isnt a machine job really. I cut the rings out of the front wheel to give it a larger spoke look.

Here it is while I started rough cuts.

IMAG0977.jpg

All removed.

IMAG0978.jpg

Cleaned, blended and ready to powder coat.

IMAG0983.jpg

Powder coated.

IMAG0984.jpg

I installed the new tire and getting ready to mount it.

IMAG0985.jpg

Finally it mounted.

IMAG1086.jpg

I also custom mounted a CBR 1000RR intergrated turnsignal tail light in the back. Really cleaned up the back.

IMAG1077.jpg

Obviously you can tell I like to machine, customize and refinish things. I love building custom things. :laugh: Thats what eventually led me to my business. I do all my own machine work, my own plating, powder coating, ceramic coating, finishing and laser engraving. Its nice when you can start on Friday night with a block of aluminum and an idea , and Sunday be out at the cruise with a finished part.:laugh:

Thanks again everyone for the kind words.

Todd

Thanks and mind you this isn't my business. I just do it for fun when I have time ( which seems like never ). I started this bike and got it done to a good point in about 8 weeks. While I rode it everyday. So I couldn't leave it apart for long LOL, it was summer and nice out. I still have lots to do to it, but they are more complex parts, like a set of adjustable rear sets, triple trees and a few other odds and ends. But we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!

Todd

Back