Time to go racing again.... HAYABUSA BUILD!

isiahstites

Registered
The last time a bike I owned saw Bonneville was in 2009 at BUB where we couldn't keep the bike out of impound. We continually were to set and re-break our own record numerous times. It was truly my best event to date in LSR racing. Not the fastest records on a Hayabusa, but they're mine and they still stand to my knowledge.
EPSON001.jpg

I will never forget that trip as my wife and one year daughter were there to help participate. There's nothing like having to change the chain on your bike and then when you are done change the baby's diaper. Both are jobs necessary to get the job done! I will never forget the day my wife and I took this picture of baby girl.
100_5345.jpg

Before 2009 I built and raced this Buell/Sportster based bike and came 3 mph short of a 30 year old record, if only I had given it another year. Life calls and I had to disassemble the maintenance nightmare and move on to something that was less custom. Someday I would love to build another HD based LSR bike, but right now my heart lies in the imports.
100_2771.jpg

So my life has changed quite a bit since all of this stuff has happened. I quit my wonderful goverment job to pursue a dream of owning my own business. My little girl is four years old now and getting bigger we each passing day! We picked up and moved to Northern Nevada from So Cal to open our business. I must say I love working for myself and not dealing with *******s everyday, but I do miss the steady paycheck and benefits. I am glad we made the decision and I know someday it will pay off. Actually it already has as I get to spend lots of valuable time with my wife and daughter that I otherwise would of missed if I had been working for the man!

My next chapter in life includes this and hopefully a few bigger models in the future and a CNC lathe. This one is a Haas Mini Mill2
101_4318.jpg

I have been making all kinds of small parts and have been selling on eBay primarily. I have been reaching out to local business and have a few prospects designing and maching special parts for their operations. These are a few of the parts I have made, as I get better and better the parts will get bigger and more complicted, I love doing this!
101_6016.jpg

101_6096.jpg

101_6182.jpg

I started gathering parts for the next build. My only goal with this bike to start is to go over 200 mph with a stock engine. Once that's done I will pursue records and more HP as I want to ensure anything that I have built is tried and true. I am hoping that because of experience with past builds and the addition of my newest piece of equipment addition it will really help me build a cool and functional bike.
101_6220.jpg

101_6222.jpg

I have wheels and tires for mock up purposes along with other parts to hopefully get it into a roller in the next couple of weeks. I also have some pretty good body work that I have had for a few years now. Bodywork came from Kent at Airtech who as always supported my racing.
100_5612.jpg

100_5610.jpg

100_5613.jpg

Great pics of your shop Scott....what a beautiful set of forks!

They super nice! I got them from an Obama loving old fart!!:laugh::rofl:

The bodywork pictures are my old garage in So Cal, the CNC pic is my new shop in Nevada!.

That would be me, just a tired old liberal.....leastwise when I crash I just scrape the edges, I don't throw it out into the desert like a youngin I know!

That would be me, just a tired old liberal.....leastwise when I crash I just scrape the edges, I don't throw it out into the desert like a youngin I know!

Funny considering you were the one pushing and I was just cruising......:laugh:

See you tomorrow buddy!

Congrats and good luck, not many people get to pursue things they love esp multiple times, congrats on your successful life

Well after a super long week busting my ass, I did what any gear head would do. I got my ass up, cleaned the shop and spent my day in the shop working! I got a lot done today.

I had a extra set of wheels stored that are pretty ugly, but will do the job. Tested them to make sure they were straight.
101_6247.jpg

I had a buddy (Doyle) give me a couple of old tires so I could use them for mock up purposes. I bought the tire changer about six months ago and use it all the time. It so beats the hell out of using spoons.
101_6248.jpg

I pulled out my box of parts and found what I could for steering components. These are for mock up, I think I am going to design and cut a set of raked trees for this bike.
101_6250.jpg

Had to press the stem into the tree.
101_6251.jpg

Got the front wheel, forks and frame all mated together.
101_6252.jpg

Put the rear wheel and swingarm on, they are just sitting there as I do not have bearings for the swingarm or the linkage for the shock. Also need to find a brake hanger for the rear wheel. Just wanted to get the bike to roller status.
101_6253.jpg

My friend John Noonan supplied me some of the remnants of his many years of racing.........this is my mock up engine.
101_6254.jpg

101_6255.jpg

Got the engine bolted in place, also found a stator and clutch cover to bolt up so I can see the actual width of the engine.
101_6260.jpg

These calipers are off of my retired LSR bike from the 09 season. I may rebuild these, I may buy another set.....haven't decided yet.
101_6261.jpg

101_6262.jpg

I set the fairings on to see what kind of work it was going to take to mount them. It's going to take quite a bit as there isn't room for my hands and I do not want to raise the fairing much and make the frontal area larger.
101_6263.jpg

Once I get the chassis squared away with bearings, shift linkage and brake hanger so the bike is solid and I can see the actual ride height I will cut the frame rails to accomodate the seat. Also thinking of doing away with the rear shock and going with a dual shock set up so I can keep the seat height low.
101_6264.jpg

The body work fits the frame well but as you can see here the arms/hands is going to be an issue.
101_6265.jpg

looking forward to watching this come together, as I have much interest in this topic......keep up the good work, and keep those updates coming:thumbsup:

Back