How to make a gen 2 the best bike you ever owned

Okay, we will try that first dyno chart in a different format. And yes, this is the completely stock '08 Gen 2 with a powercommander and generic map:

topsecret08busa1.jpg

Last edited:
Ams 1000, powder coat the reaset and passenger pegs black, 12volt plug in for cruising when yor cell phone is almost dead (I'm serious), an indicator light so you know for that the heat exchanger/plenum pump is working, cut seat to lower the rider, ebc hh pads, lighter wheel, bouble. Or, slap an ultra and pads on it as that will be plenty to make it fantastic. These bikes are so trouble free and well balanced right out of the box.

Frank,

"The Best Bike You Ever Owned" is going to mean different things to different people.

I suppose as a well respected engine builder, that's going to start with a lot of HP.

For me, being the best bike I ever owned would include comfort, a forgiving nature, adaptability, safety, reliability, unique looks...etc.

The only way for me to answer the question your topic title is asking, would be to tell you what I wish my bike had so here goes:

1. I wish it was more powerful, but also more linear in it's power delivery.

2. It would run on any fuel I put in it without risking engine damage (because fuel truck drivers sometimes mix extra 87 into the 93 tanks)

3. It would have ABS and traction control

4. It would have the best darned headlights you can get.

5. It would have LED's brake/tail/turn lights.

6. It would have fancy effects for those lights (where legal) such as strobing or other attention getting tricks.

7. It would have heated grips and both saddle and passenger seat heating.

8. It would have the best suspension and brakes I could afford to put on it.

9. I would be able to change the air filter in seconds from the outside of the fairing.

10. It would be fully wired for acc's like USB, and cigarette lighter style plugs using a completely different circuit with taps throughout the bike.

11. It would have LED accent lights (that you can turn off)

12. It would have a switch to turn off all lighting instantly (I'll let you figure out why this is on the list)

13. It would have a louder horn

14. It would have an integrated, yet well hidden radar/laser detector and perhaps jammer.

15. It would have front/back air ride (but that's just because it's so adaptable to what you're doing at the moment).

16. It would have a trick mount for my iPhone with onboard charging

17. It would have at least 2 cameras in discrete locations

18. It would have a security system with proximity enable.

19. It would have an R1 throttle tube.

20. It would have extended mirrors (but I'm wide)

21. It would have nice levers

22. The clutch would be easy to pull even if HD (I'm working on a solution for this)

23. It would have all three models of ZG windscreen on hand.

24. It would have a quickly removable rear rack.

25. It would have a shift light and gear indicator

26. If a turbo, I would have intake and exhaust not interfere with stock lean angle.

...and last but not least, I'd have a high power hidden speaker that plays the sound of those [URL="
bikes starting up[/URL] when I hit a button so I can freak people out at lights :)

That may not be the list you are looking for, but I answered the question the best I could.

All the Best
Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
free giveaway? i would love to see that bad boy turbo in my bike but i don't think i would have the sack to handle it. :laugh: curious, what would that cost an average joe like myself?

Frank,

"The Best Bike You Ever Owned" is going to mean different things to different people.

I suppose as a well respected engine builder, that's going to start with a lot of HP.

For me, being the best bike I ever owned would include comfort, a forgiving nature, adaptability, safety, reliability, unique looks...etc.

The only way for me to answer the question your topic title is asking, would be to tell you what I wish my bike had so here goes:

1. I wish it was more powerful, but also more linear in it's power delivery.

2. It would run on any fuel I put in it without risking engine damage (because fuel truck drivers sometimes mix extra 87 into the 93 tanks)

3. It would have ABS and traction control

4. It would have the best darned headlights you can get.

5. It would have LED's brake/tail/turn lights.

6. It would have fancy effects for those lights (where legal) such as strobing or other attention getting tricks.

7. It would have heated grips and both saddle and passenger seat heating.

8. It would have the best suspension and brakes I could afford to put on it.

9. I would be able to change the air filter in seconds from the outside of the fairing.

10. It would be fully wired for acc's like USB, and cigarette lighter style plugs using a completely different circuit with taps throughout the bike.

11. It would have LED accent lights (that you can turn off)

12. It would have a switch to turn off all lighting instantly (I'll let you figure out why this is on the list)

13. It would have a louder horn

14. It would have an integrated, yet well hidden radar/laser detector and perhaps jammer.

15. It would have front/back air ride (but that's just because it's so adaptable to what you're doing at the moment).

16. It would have a trick mount for my iPhone with onboard charging

17. It would have at least 2 cameras in discrete locations

18. It would have a security system with proximity enable.

19. It would have an R1 throttle tube.

20. It would have extended mirrors (but I'm wide)

21. It would have nice levers

22. The clutch would be easy to pull even if HD (I'm working on a solution for this)

23. It would have all three models of ZG windscreen on hand.

24. It would have a quickly removable rear rack.

25. It would have a shift light and gear indicator

26. If a turbo, I would have intake and exhaust not interfere with stock lean angle.

...and last but not least, I'd have a high power hidden speaker that plays the sound of those [URL="
bikes starting up[/URL] when I hit a button so I can freak people out at lights :)

That may not be the list you are looking for, but I answered the question the best I could.

All the Best
Sean

Sean, nice list. Sounds like you might want to consider putting a blower on a Gold Wing. One of the big mistakes many people make is to load up a bike like the Hayabusa with a laundry list of electrical accessories. Two of the weak points on Busas are the cooling system and the electrical system - both are smaller than they should be. One customer had so many electrical items tapped into his main power feed that he burned out his right hand switch assembly . . . I had another customer who hung and attempted to wire in over six accessory gauges on his bike- that bike incurred a misfire because of the load. The moral of the story is that you can overtax the electrical system to the detriment of other important components, like fuel pumps and water pumps. Its not a car, its a sport bike, lol. . . :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Now this is going to be an interesting build!!!! :thumbsup:
What are the estimated power/torque numbers you are hoping to reach.

A friend once said you can hope in one hand and :moon: in the other - see which one fills up first! :rofl:

This customer is actually looking for the number this bike can put down on everyday, pump fuel. That will take us up to 18 pounds of boost . . . the rest of the way will be on C16. We will see . . . :whistle:

You Should crank it all they way up. on C-16 Im sure your customer will run it once and a while on full boost on a track. I dont know why someone would put that big of a build to not run C-16 once and a while. I cant wait to see all the things you and him or her have in store..

Sean, nice list. Sounds like you might want to consider putting a blower on a Gold Wing. One of the big mistakes many people make is to load up a bike like the Hayabusa with a laundry list of electrical accessories. Two of the weak points on Busas are the cooling system and the electrical system - both are smaller than they should be. One customer had so many electrical items tapped into his main power feed that he burned out his right hand switch assembly . . . I had another customer who hung and attempted to wire in over six accessory gauges on his bike- that bike incurred a misfire because of the load. The moral of the story is that you can overtax the electrical system to the detriment of other important components, like fuel pumps and water pumps. Its not a car, its a sport bike, lol. . . :laugh:

Blower on a Goldwing... well not exactly...

I do like to stuff a lot of stuff within the confines of a sport bike though. One of the reasons I went after a T-Busa was that I wanted to have the fastest bike around (i.e....in the area), despite being able to add a bunch of bells and whistles to it.

I'm sure my list makes one's imagination go to trailers and cup holders and such, but actually I doubt I'd add 20lbs to the bike overall if I did all of it. In other words, less than my own personal weight can fluctuate depending on what season it is, what I had for lunch, and what I'm wearing.

Indeed it is a sport bike, and when I'm in the mood to be sport-biking, I have it in that trim. You wouldn't be able to tell without looking pretty hard, that there's a USB charger mounted in the fairing from a bike that doesn't have one.

Things like grip heaters and such weigh almost nothing and are invisible on the bike.

When I want to take that sport bike 4hrs north to Portland, my girlfriend (and my rear) like the much heavier Corbin seats, and she likes the backrest quite a lot. I would argue that it is now a sport bike pulling extra duty, and believe me... in that "mode", I'd be single if I used even half of the 220hp my bike is currently setup for while she's on it.

If I'm "sport-biking" up in the mountains with my friends, I am charging my iPhone, which is blue toothed to my SENA-SMH10 headset. That means i can make and take calls when out in the mountains and have Nav'. Because I'm in business, this allows me the freedom to ride on days when I should be expecting work calls. Less of a sport bike?

See, that's it for me... the fact that a T-Busa has enough muscle to forgive a few extra wires, attachment points, and mounts...even a couple cameras or whatnot. I mean, what does it take to move everything I could dream up in the scattered air spaces under the fairing? 10hp extra? If I had deep pockets, what's the difference between having 400hp and 410hp?

The bottom line is that it takes me less than 5 minutes to go from a commuter/business bike, to sport touring bike, to put-the-hump-on sport bike and I don't think a few switches or a phone mount is really going to affect the performance in my usage. The motorcycle itself...doesn't really change much at all in appearance and I think very little in weight.

Now I realize I'm not speaking directly to your point, and I apologize.
The reason I made that list is because viewing the picture you posted of the beginnings of a tear down made me think how nice it would be to have some systems in place for adding bells and whistles down the road.
I would love if there were properly run acc' circuits already in my bike so I didn't have to tap into existing circuits, and if I were lucky enough to be building "The best bike I ever owned" on the table, I'd love to roll away with HID's and cameras pre-wired instead of having to take it apart down several separate times down the road just to do a job that wouldn't be as neat or reliable as if I had done it with the bike completely stripped.

I just made the list so if your customer thought he might like anything I listed, that it would be easy to put in while it's apart and allocate resources for it.

I do understand that your point was to the weakness of the electrical system. I have been wondering myself what upgrades can be made in that regard? Still, I don't think much of what I listed has a significant negative impact on the performance of the bike, but might add to the "Best Bike Ever" concept once the dyno has stopped spinning.

Because this is text and you can't hear my tone... believe me, I'm being super friendly and I'm certainly not trying to start a debate on what the purpose of a Hayabusa is, or what makes a true sport bike, but just because I want to charge my phone and have a warm bottom doesn't mean I'm attaching sidecars and a HAM radio. :)

Thoughts?
Sean

Superbike Forks FRG900

Ohlins TTX36

A-Tech carbon fiber body work.

SP Tadao Super light ti system.

BrakeTech ceramic rotors

Brembo HPK Radial CNC Nickel Calipers

Yosh aluminum tank.

OHNISHI HEAT MAGIC Swing arm

GILLES TOOLING rearsets

RADICAL triple clamp.

Ohlins damper

BST carbon fiber rims.

bazzaz traction control

Motor build by Scott Miller of Fast Company.

cheers
ken

Back