Loading bike in my truck

Harbor freight for the "D" rings , Home Depot for the washers

I just left harbor frieght and they have two type D rings. One was a two pack 1/2 inch set and the other was a larger 2" forged set. I read the rating and the half inch set is rated up to 700 lbs but the 2 inch one is rated up to 10,000. The 2 inch is a massive forged one. And the 1/2 set looked small. Which one would be a better fit? I'm leaning more towards the 2" just for added peace if mind but wanted sone opinions before I buy them.

I used the smaller 700lb twin pack rings that's way more then my GSXR or your Busa. Besides you will have 4 rings 2 per side that's 1400lbs per side if one fails the other will still handle it weight. I was more worried about the bolts

I used the smaller 700lb twin pack rings that's way more then my GSXR or your Busa. Besides you will have 4 rings 2 per side that's 1400lbs per side if one fails the other will still handle it weight. I was more worried about the bolts
Ok, I am planning on using the same anchor point to tie the front down as well as the rear from the passenger peg. So I will have two straps on the same anchor and use two in the rear to tie down the rear tire. Will this work for that kind of set up using the 1/2 rings?

Make sure you pull over a short distance down the road. I pull over for fuel. At that time check your straps. Don't be alarmed if they need to be tightened a little.

Keep the straps away from your plastics ( no contact )

Make sure you secure the straps. Floating around in the air at speed they will beat the paint of your bike.

Make sure you pull over a short distance down the road. I pull over for fuel. At that time check your straps. Don't be alarmed if they need to be tightened a little.

Keep the straps away from your plastics ( no contact )

Make sure you secure the straps. Floating around in the air at speed they will beat the paint of your bike.
I will do that. I just need to figure out this anchor thing now and how I'm going to drill through my liner and bed.

I will get pics for you when I get home. I used some 1/4 plate steel and cut them in about 3x3 inch plates with the correct hole drilled through the middle. I also rounded the corners so it wouldn't create a weak point in my bed. I still used the provided washers just on the far side of the steel. I do have some 1/2 tiedowns in the front as well but with my tool box you need to kneel down to hook up to them. I think I over built it but I didn't want to see my bike come loose. The funny thing is my bike has never been in the back just my friends.

Ok, I am planning on using the same anchor point to tie the front down as well as the rear from the passenger peg. So I will have two straps on the same anchor and use two in the rear to tie down the rear tire. Will this work for that kind of set up using the 1/2 rings?

Should work but why not put a ring in each of the four corners?

I will get pics for you when I get home. I used some 1/4 plate steel and cut them in about 3x3 inch plates with the correct hole drilled through the middle. I also rounded the corners so it wouldn't create a weak point in my bed. I still used the provided washers just on the far side of the steel. I do have some 1/2 tiedowns in the front as well but with my tool box you need to kneel down to hook up to them. I think I over built it but I didn't want to see my bike come loose. The funny thing is my bike has never been in the back just my friends.

I would like to get some steel plate to reinforce the underside of the bed but don't know where I can get that from?

Should work but why not put a ring in each of the four corners?

I will be using the rear anchor points to prevent side to side movement but the front will be used to just hold bike firmly in place.

Ok, here is what I got today. I picked up some anchors from Home Depot. Middle strength capacity up to 5000 pounds. I got 2 of them to see how it goes and picked up four 3/8" bolts 2 inch long, nuts, lock washers, 1 1/2 inch washers (for bottom side) and regular washers for top side.

Plan is to remove bed liner since it has the small grooves and won't allow me to mount the anchors flush. Drill through the bed and bolt down the anchors. Would like to figure a way to cut the bed liner and re-install the bed liner but don't see that being possible because water will leak through.

I just had the metal laying around from other projects. I found the anchors at local ACE hardware. For the metal you may need to find a local bulk metal supply house. Possible some custom fabrication places may point you in the right direction, it has been my expreince they might have something that size as scrap or cut it for a nominal price.

Here is a pic of the units when not in use.
not in use.jpg

A shot of the reinforcement plates.
Note to self: PAINT PLATES PUT IN WHEEL WELLS!!!
under side.jpg

under side.jpg

not in use.jpg

Ditch the bed liner. They hold the moisture underneath them. I am personally planning on putting in a spray on bed liner next spring.

I just had the metal laying around from other projects. I found the anchors at local ACE hardware. For the metal you may need to find a local bulk metal supply house. Possible some custom fabrication places may point you in the right direction, it has been my expreince they might have something that size as scrap or cut it for a nominal price.

Here is a pic of the units when not in use.
View attachment 255022

A shot of the reinforcement plates.
Note to self: PAINT PLATES PUT IN WHEEL WELLS!!!
View attachment 255021

I will look around for some metal supply places and see what they have that I might be able to use. Thanks and I will be sure to shoot a little rattle can paint on that plate before I mount it up :laugh:

Ditch the bed liner. They hold the moisture underneath them. I am personally planning on putting in a spray on bed liner next spring.

I plan on getting the Line -X spray in liner next spring as well so I will eventually ditch the liner.

Remember not to cinch the bike down by compressing the forks. You will likely blow your fork seals. Believe me Ive been there though I learned my lesson by the time the Busa showed up.

One word of advice on hauling your bike in the back of a pick up truck..

DONT GO CHEAP, meaning making a trip down to Wally World and buy some China Made Ratchet straps..

Get some qaulity made straps with some soft ties and doing it correctly.

This is one area not to cut corners with by saving money or ya may just hear )))))))THUNK((((((( finding your bike with $$$$ worth of damage.

Remember not to cinch the bike down by compressing the forks. You will likely blow your fork seals. Believe me Ive been there though I learned my lesson by the time the Busa showed up.

Well, I was always taught to cinch it down until the forks compress a little. I have always cinched it down until I see the front move a little and then stop.

One word of advice on hauling your bike in the back of a pick up truck..

DONT GO CHEAP, meaning making a trip down to Wally World and buy some China Made Ratchet straps..

Get some qaulity made straps with some soft ties and doing it correctly.

This is one area not to cut corners with by saving money or ya may just hear )))))))THUNK((((((( finding your bike with $$$$ worth of damage.

I got my straps from advanced auto parts. They had some that were on clearance and I got them for a steal.

Well, I was always taught to cinch it down until the forks compress a little. I have always cinched it down until I see the front move a little and then stop.

Thats what I was taught until I blew a couple seals on a GS1100 twice. Believe me It was minimal how much I compressed them. I just dont take the chance anymore. Theres lots of good ways to secure the bike without compressing them.

Thats what I was taught until I blew a couple seals on a GS1100 twice. Believe me It was minimal how much I compressed them. I just dont take the chance anymore. Theres lots of good ways to secure the bike without compressing them.

Please share some of the ways so I can avoid making the same mistake. I never knew any other method of securing them besides applying compression to front forks.

Ok, here is what I did yesterday.

Step 1, found all the hardware for the project.
Got all it from Home Depot (except the reinforcement plates):
4 Medium rated bed/trailor anchors
3/8 inch by 2 inch long bolts (8 of them) Grade 2
8 cut washers (for the top side)
8 lock washers
8 (1 1/2 inch) washers ( for bottom side)
8 nuts
Total cost about $30 (not including the plates but they were free, I do suggest going to a local metal shop and see if they have some scrap)

2012-10-17180110.jpg

Step 2, found some re-inforcement plates (got them cut and drilled)

2012-10-17180027.jpg

Pretty thick plate so feel ok about it.

2012-10-17180048.jpg

Step 3 & 4, cut out notches from the old liner to put down the anchors. Used a dremmel with cutting wheel attachment then drilled holes through the bed. ( Double checked under side to make sure I was clear of any lines or obstacles that would get hit by the drill bit)

2012-10-17175942.jpg

Step 5, shop vaccum the debris and bolted them up.

2012-10-17185120.jpg

2012-10-17185132.jpg

2012-10-17185139.jpg

Pic of the under side

2012-10-17185157.jpg

What do you guys think?

Back