Hahn Racecraft and the Texas Mile/Mojave Mile?

Road Weazel

Registered
Greetings!
My name is Weazel and I'm a bike-a-holic. I have worked in the motorcycle business for nearly 20 years but the world of turbos is very new to me. I've been researching turbo bikes for a little bit and I have a question (OK, many questions). I'm currently talking with a guy who's interested in trading his '99 Hayabusa with a Hahn Racecraft turbo kit, water injection, port fuelers and several other nice goodies for my '08 B-King plus cash. I don't have a lot of money to throw at a Land Missile and this is why this particular trade has my attention. My interest is to break 200 mph in Texas or Mojave, but I don't want to make a career out of going that fast. This will primarily be a street bike. I have a lot of motorcycles and this is just one niche that I'm interested in. I'm into sidecars, vintage bikes, observed trials, dual-sporting and road race trackdays on my SV650 as well.
Anyway, there's a lot of opinions out there and I wanted to get more input on the Hahn/Mitsubishi system. I had one person tell me that the Hahn system was best suited to 1/4 mile work and that I was taking a big risk if I ran it longer than that without an intercooler. Can anyone offer their experience on the Hahn systems and top speed running? If this is the case, how much effort would it take to plumb an intercooler into this system?
Thanx in advance,
Weazel

Even if that bike is properly tuned (fuel/timing), on pump fuel with water injection I would not go more than one mile wide open . . . without the proper intercooling, you will hurt the motor. On the other hand, you may get ONE good run in! :poke:

Frank,
Thank you for the reply. If I did add the intercooler and if everything else is correct I should be safe for a mile to a mile and a half?
Man, I've learned a lot over the last week or so. Now I have even more questions. Have you ever noticed that the more you know the more you realize that you don't know? ???
Thanx again.
Weazel

I would run the b king tuned down to the 12.7 to 12.9 range for that distance before I ran a tuned non intercooled anybody turbo setup that far.. You will likely even run out of water injection spray for that length of time. Non intercooled bikes aren't meant to be run for extended periods like that wide open... If you guys want to learn turbo basics, get corky bells book or go take a efi live class sometime. it is really informational if you even want to tune your stuff.....

which controller is on the portfueler ?
on race gas like c 16 with a good secondary injector system , on a at least partially built motor and well tuned you should get 200mph on a moderate boost level without stressing the motor too much
if you want a bit better safety then think about water injection ,
we ran a mates busa at Bonneville this yr and took the intercooler off (it was not a great desgn anyway, would not fit within the race glass) and ran water injection
it made about 20 passes at 16 psi and still running well , but 16 is all i would let him run , the motor decompressed but was not built and i was mindfull of inlet temps
and we pulled more timing than realy needed to be safe

Thanx for the information, guys. I found Corky Bell's book at my library and have placed a hold on it. I look forward to reading it. I teach motorcycle technology and repair for my civillian job so this is all very interesting and useful
I do not know which controller is on the secondary injectors (I don't own the bike yet) but it also has a PC-II on it (this turbo build is about 10 years old), which I would change to a PC-III or a PC-V. I'm sure I could develop a tune for race fuel or perhaps even e-85. The bike already has water injection.
I spoke with Hahn today and they suggested running the boost down around 5 pounds for prolonged runs, but the tech said that he'd ask Mr. Hahn and get back with me. I'll also dig deeper into the intercooler idea, but I'm not sure how well it will fit under the stock bodywork. I saw an intercooler that I believe was also the plenum, which was VERY neat, but I'm sure it's expensive.
Keep 'em coming, guys! I love this learnin' stuff!
:idea:
Weazel

How about putting an Ultra Plenum on it and running it for five miles wide open?

08busaultraplenum.jpg

08busaultraplenum1.jpg

Oooooh, shiny! Anyone need a kidney?
:laugh:
That's a beautiful piece of engineering, sir, but beyond my budget...

You may end up finding out the hard way that you can't afford NOT to have it. Paying for the damage to the engine that is very much possible without it will have you spending twice the money, eventually. :whistle:

How about putting an Ultra Plenum on it and running it for five miles wide open?

That was one of the reasons I went with the Ultra plenum. You aren't going to get much better than that for a bolt-on kit if you are doing LSR... :thumbsup:

Oooooh, shiny! Anyone need a kidney?
:laugh:
That's a beautiful piece of engineering, sir, but beyond my budget...

From the many people I talked to for LSR it's a must have item.

If you just want to run 200mph and do it cheap, then you don't need a Turbo for that... ;)

Five miles full throttle sustained = Melted

Depends on the build.....when setup properly with an Ultra plenum you can do it all day long... :beerchug:

Frank,
I fully understand that there are some things that you shouldn't go cheap on (second-hand defense ammuntion, for instance) and the ultra looks really nice. Perhaps I'm just a little out of my league at this time. If I DO run an intercooler can I get rid of the water injection? I'm thinking of fab-ing one in a similar location across the valve cover, being fed through the one ram-air hole.
What's the extra radiator in front of your radiator? I think I saw one on Got-Busa's bike and I thought that was an intercooler but the hoses are too small for air, and too large for oil, and it seems to have a thermostat on the left side of the motor.
GoldenChild,
Thanx for the positive vibes
Got-Busa,
Thanx for the link to your 200mph run and eventual turbo build. Very informative and inspirational. If I can get another deployment in I'll have to do the same thing...
Thanx again to everyone, I really appreciate it!
Weazel

The extra radiator is a heat exchanger for the water/air intercooler

a top mount air/air can function ok, not as good as a front mount as the airflow is much less , but you need to duct the ram air through it
gen1plenum002.jpg

i use to have this on my roadbike, and a piece of foam block cut out to fit around it and seal to the tank, frame sides and bottom , , heatsoaks some in stop start traffic but cools quick above 35mph
took about half the temp rise out judging by the couple of logs i did when i first fitted it
now use water/air intercoolers , they just work so much better .

I did the race fuel vs. pump gas $ savings on my bike. Since my build I would have spent more on race fuel that I spent on the plenum. 400 hp and never a drop of race fuel.

Frank,
I fully understand that there are some things that you shouldn't go cheap on (second-hand defense ammuntion, for instance) and the ultra looks really nice. Perhaps I'm just a little out of my league at this time. If I DO run an intercooler can I get rid of the water injection? I'm thinking of fab-ing one in a similar location across the valve cover, being fed through the one ram-air hole.
What's the extra radiator in front of your radiator? I think I saw one on Got-Busa's bike and I thought that was an intercooler but the hoses are too small for air, and too large for oil, and it seems to have a thermostat on the left side of the motor.
GoldenChild,
Thanx for the positive vibes
Got-Busa,
Thanx for the link to your 200mph run and eventual turbo build. Very informative and inspirational. If I can get another deployment in I'll have to do the same thing...
Thanx again to everyone, I really appreciate it!
Weazel

The half-radiator in front of the stock rad cools the engine ice circulating through the plenum by the electric pump . . . the Ultra Plenum's coolant is totally dedicated and separate from the engine coolant. Not only do you not need water injection with a setup like this, but you can run more timing. There is no thermostat in the Ultra Plenum's plumbing. . .

Back