Airtech 6in over street tail... Looking for ideas

Jacobs

OEM Parts/Accessory guy
Donating Member
Registered
I recently picked up an Airtech 6in over street tail. The only about the tail, I found out, that makes it a street tail is the fact is at the seat/hump cut out. I am going to run the full OEM tail light and turn signal set-up, but I need some ideas/pointers on what to buy/use to mount all the factory lighting. This tail is completely mountless on the inside so anyone that's done this, I could really use a few pictures or some direction here.

Aside from the tail, there's quite a few other goodies on the way for my 2008 Gray/black :laugh::whistle:

Busastretch3.jpg

Busastretch2.jpg

you might can slowly trim it out and test fit it till right..get a stock bracket and epoxy it in..

I obviously have all of the factory hardware from removing it from my OEM tail. What I didn't know until I pulled the tail light out was that it actually bolts sideways into the inner tail section on the Gen II bikes. I'd rather not cut parts out of my plastic tail to make this work so I can sell my OEM tail to cut down almost all of the cost on this "small" project

Justin you can cut out the tail light and turn signals and just epoxy the lights in. Your painter should be able to accomplish this. I haven't had any problems with mine so far this year an it is done this way. My painter did say the tail light was a pain because he had to cut out the bottom area in the taillight and refiberglass the bottom back in.

Justin you can cut out the tail light and turn signals and just epoxy the lights in. Your painter should be able to accomplish this. I haven't had any problems with mine so far this year an it is done this way. My painter did say the tail light was a pain because he had to cut out the bottom area in the taillight and refiberglass the bottom back in.

See I figured I could epoxy the turn signals in because there isn't much to them but I didn't know if the tail light had to much weight to actually just epoxy to the actual tail too. It looks like there is plenty of surface area on the outside of the tail light to use, but I'm not sure. I may just cut the turn signals and let my painter do the tail light then

I just did this, and it was a major pain in the ass. I have the same tail. First, I carefully cut the hole out for the tail light and then carefully sanded until I had a perfect fit. While doing this, I decided it was too much of a pain to do the turn signals and just used an integrated tail light from Pashnit. I used the OEM brackets on the tail light and made custom mounts out of L brackets from Lowes. Here is a picture I took. I kept breaking the rear ones out no matter what epoxy I used. I ended up changing the custom style to match the ones toward the front and got some cat hair fiberglass repair from the auto parts store. I put it over the brackets to help hold them to the fiberglass, and have not had another problem.

THis forum will not accept JPGs if the extension is in caps darnit....

DSC03725.JPG

If you can find a napa auto parts, they sell some two part epoxy in a black tube with pink,black and white writing on it.. scuff glass and smear it on it will hold up to anything.. I have used it to put two pieces of plastic back together and could fold it with no breakage after two days drying..buy only that one, rest they have is junk. I make tabs with it to fix stuff for guys all the time..

If you can find a napa auto parts, they sell some two part epoxy in a black tube with pink,black and white writing on it.. scuff glass and smear it on it will hold up to anything.. I have used it to put two pieces of plastic back together and could fold it with no breakage after two days drying..buy only that one, rest they have is junk. I make tabs with it to fix stuff for guys all the time..

This stuff? I broke this too.

DSC03731.JPG

If you call Dutch at Airtech he may be able to give you some good pointers. They are close friends of mine and they are a good company. Give him a call and he will get you pointed in the right direction. However Golden Child has given you a pretty good path as that's what I have done with all of my Airtech bodywork in the past.

Scott

no, and you need to rough up the glass itself.. rough up glass, smear napa stuff on, put bracket down in it, let dry then go over top of bracket and lower mix to cause bond effect..

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/i...gfV-L2k-nuQHPk7lNHs5HVsIcTQ4xyM_YdkcriqkhTOyc

I appreciate the info Daniel. We finished up cutting the turn signals and mocked them in place. Came out nice and snug. I'll have to run over to Napa on my lunch and grab a tube of the stuff you posted and try to snag some universal "L" brackets.

isiahstites - I'm not sure who I talked to, but I did call Airtech and other than telling me to be a little creative with brackets, they couldn't offer me much as far as where to go for brackets. They said they have Gen I stuff available but nothing for the Gen II bikes.

jpsmith1 - thank you for the pictures. It helps me out greatly! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Justin - I wonder if you got one of the guys in the back when you called. A any rate Golden Child is telling you pretty much what the owner would tell you if you spoke with him directly. I did a lot of racing with the owner a few years ago and did several bike projects with him. Saw plenty of variations of mounting bodywork. Most of the stuff I mounted from airtech was done with Zeus fasteners.

At any rate, good luck I am sure you will do an awesome job.

Scott

I will definitely try that epoxy if I break a bracket loose again. Mine seems to be holding together fine for a couple weeks now.....but I have been running without a plate to minimize the load on the tail light.

Daniel, that stuff seems like it's going to work perfect. I won't know for sure til next week when I get it back but I appreciate.

Dropped it off to get painted today and it looks like the swing arm should be here Monday. :please:

Well I haven't really taken any pictures of it yet since it's still missing the OEM decals, but a buddy at work snapped this quick yesterday and secretly posted it on Instagram without me knowing...

I'll be sure to post the final pictures this weekend when we get done mounting the catalyst race seat

JJbusastretch.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice Justin! When are you running it?

Leaving for the track in a few hours :thumbsup:

I would have loved to have my new race seat on there, but the bike seems low enough to work with the stocker.

Back